NHS

Angry Ram

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to say this but I agree ,had to take the missus in to hospital in serious pain so bad she was on morphine .The good bit was the bed was waiting and just behind the nursing station .

She waited for an hour whilst 4 nurses talked about their nails ,hair do's and where they were going out .The next relief crew did likewise for 20 minutes before coming in to scan the wife and thought it was amusing because they didn't know how to use the scanner .

Fortunately I have never needed the NHS but from my observations[ A&E excepted] , they are short staffed because they walk round in groups of 2 or 3 [support staff not nurse's] and the standard of the manager's is shocking .

I also see that the number of manager's in the NHS is rising faster than nurse's.In their defence I know several people who have suffered from cancer and they are all on the mend ,a few years ago this wasn't the case. .God only knows how they are achieving it .

I also understand that anyone who has had their lives saved ain't going to have a bad word against it , but that doesn't mean it's not got any slack in it.

31 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Bike sheds... 30 mins. :whistle:

19 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Bring it on, don't worry though the NHS will patch you up after ;)

Fight, fight, fight. 

Can I join Juan's gang.

Demand is increasing faster than investment. The tories are putting in more money than before, however demand is far greater, down to more older users and better at keeping people alive longer, massive cuts in mental health care, which is massively rising. Add to that a management that don't listen to the staff at the sharp end.

I agree that it’s gone to the dogs but people also need to wise up. Demanding appointments for minor ailments, going to the Dr as regular attenders even though they don’t really need to, hundreds of non attendees, asking for medication on prescription that they can buy for less than £2, the list goes on. My friend is a physio, they had 90 no shows in 3 months yet people get abusive because they can’t get an appointment. 

Just now, Ewe Ram said:

I agree that it’s gone to the dogs but people also need to wise up. Demanding appointments for minor ailments, going to the Dr as regular attenders even though they don’t really need to, hundreds of non attendees, asking for medication on prescription that they can buy for less than £2, the list goes on. My friend is a physio, they had 90 no shows in 3 months yet people get abusive because they can’t get an appointment. 

The non-attendance stuff just baffles me. I would never in a million years just not show up to an NHS appointment without at least ringing and explaining the cancellation. Who does that? Who just doesn't turn up and doesn't give a crap? Yet it goes on, as you say, in huge numbers and is a massive issue.

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

Hate to say this but I agree ,had to take the missus in to hospital in serious pain so bad she was on morphine .The good bit was the bed was waiting and just behind the nursing station .

She waited for an hour whilst 4 nurses talked about their nails ,hair do's and where they were going out .The next relief crew did likewise for 20 minutes before coming in to scan the wife and thought it was amusing because they didn't know how to use the scanner .

Fortunately I have never needed the NHS but from my observations[ A&E excepted] , they are short staffed because they walk round in groups of 2 or 3 [support staff not nurse's] and the standard of the manager's is shocking .

I also see that the number of manager's in the NHS is rising faster than nurse's.In their defence I know several people who have suffered from cancer and they are all on the mend ,a few years ago this wasn't the case. .God only knows how they are achieving it .

I also understand that anyone who has had their lives saved ain't going to have a bad word against it , but that doesn't mean it's not got any slack in it.

Coming from someone who has worked in both a private and NHS care environment, short staffing has been an issue for a very long time. It's something you'll see in virtually every hospital in the world however as the wages compared to the workload is pretty disgusting. 

In every environment I've worked, you're expected to be in either a pair or a group of staff. If not, you have absolutely no protection if anything goes wrong or you get a client/customer/etc that chooses to make an accusation against you (and trust me there's enough of those nutters to need this kind of protection)

46 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Might need a few of you :angry:

Bring the rest of the commies as well. :thumbsup:

Completely unsustainable as it is,I really don’t know what the answer is.

It is a rare old mess.

Considering the circumstances they operate under it is amazing the work they do.

We can never thank them enough for what they’ve done for us.

The Cones are in your corner Angry.

I think it's very mixed what service you receive. Sometimes it's amazing and sometimes total dog droppings.

Undoubtedly in my mind part of the problem is the fast turnaround times that are expected. 5 minutes per person is not enough for a doctor to fully understand what is wrong and deal with it.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Just following on from the left / right thread that moved onto the NHS.. The NHS is probably worth a thread on its own.

Just MY experiences... Absolute dog poo, not fit for purpose. The odd angel of course but a complete mess. 

What would you consider to be a "gold standard" system of healthcare provision - if it exists - and why?

On the most part since i was diagnosed 4 years ago i have had excellent care. Cannot really knock most of the doctors and nurses i have seen at the royal.

There are of course a few exceptions, but i think thats often down to attitudes. You will get that whatever. Of course attitudes can be affected by long hours or poor working conditions.

The worst level of care i saw was when i was dumped on the liver ward ( the same one that looked so wonderful on super hospital), the attiudes of the staff towards most of the patients on there was very poor, largly I presume because most of them were there as a result of excessive alcohol consumption.

Was amazing the difference, the first 2 nights i was there i was on the next door ward, I had my own room and it was excellent, went next door and got exactly the same room and was very shabby. The staff on the first ward tried to keep me there because they knew my problems werent self inflicted but got overuled.

27 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think it's very mixed what service you receive. Sometimes it's amazing and sometimes total dog droppings.

Undoubtedly in my mind part of the problem is the fast turnaround times that are expected. 5 minutes per person is not enough for a doctor to fully understand what is wrong and deal with it.

You get 10 minutes 

22 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

What would you consider to be a "gold standard" system of healthcare provision - if it exists - and why?

Easy the cleanliness and structure of the fifties and sixties ie, doctors in charge not managers, return of matrons running the wards ,nurses's in clean uniforms. Not like NHS staff now days, uniforms  worn on the bus home looking like rag bags  allied  with modern advances in medicine .

Just now, King Kevin said:

Easy the cleanliness and structure of the fifties and sixties ie, doctors in charge not managers, return of matrons running the wards ,nurses's in clean uniforms. Not like NHS staff now days, uniforms  worn on the bus home looking like rag bags  allied  with modern advances in medicine .

https://www.nursingtimes.net/opinion/nhs-nursing-in-the-1950s/461928.article

I found this article which I found fascinating as both a window into attitudes in the 1950s,  the role of matron, and a comparison with nursing today.

I'm not rubbishing your views but it's clearly a big topic.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Might need a few of you :angry:

Bring the rest of the commies as well. :thumbsup:

Lets just scrap the NHS shall we and make all the rightright-wing Tory MPs with shares in private health care companies happy. Then we can all go down the same road as the USA, get our health care from private medical companies, paid for through insurance schemes that a large percentage of the country won't be able to get full cover for, because the premiums will be to high. 

13 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

On the most part since i was diagnosed 4 years ago i have had excellent care. Cannot really knock most of the doctors and nurses i have seen at the royal.

There are of course a few exceptions, but i think thats often down to attitudes. You will get that whatever. Of course attitudes can be affected by long hours or poor working conditions.

The worst level of care i saw was when i was dumped on the liver ward ( the same one that looked so wonderful on super hospital), the attiudes of the staff towards most of the patients on there was very poor, largly I presume because most of them were there as a result of excessive alcohol consumption.

Was amazing the difference, the first 2 nights i was there i was on the next door ward, I had my own room and it was excellent, went next door and got exactly the same room and was very shabby. The staff on the first ward tried to keep me there because they knew my problems werent self inflicted but got overuled.

We find the care unbelievable,the work they do is incredible,getting to that point is testing though.

Last year was the first year we dipped into private treatment(out of desperation).

Same consultant Private as NHS phoned me and told me the surgery was going to be done as quickly on the NHS.

Archived