James Stewart

Cary Grant

Females:

Meryl Streep

Jodie Foster

Judi Dench

Gal Gadot

Charlize Theron

Ok you have some excellent actors in there but Gal Gadot?

Its like listing the following players:

Stanley Matthews

Jimmy Greaves

Gary Lineker

Paul Gascogine

Nick Pickering

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Ok you have some excellent actors in there but Gal Gadot?

Its like listing the following players:

Stanley Matthews

Jimmy Greaves

Gary Lineker

Paul Gascogine

Nick Pickering

To right, whats Lineker doing on that list

Depends on what sort of move. I'm 28 so if I just go on my generation.

Generally, movies involving DiCaprio, Hanks, Tom Cruise, Will Smith or Denzel Washington are going to be pretty good.

For comedies, Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, Paul Rudd, Steve Carrell, Ben Stiller, Seth Rogan, Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum and Matt Franco are pretty awesome. (Not all their movies, but at least a few).

Then there are others such as Daniel Day-Lewis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tom Hardy, Christian Bale, Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Mathew McConaughey, Robert Downey Jr, Bradley Cooper and Ben Affleck who have all had some enjoyable movies.

My personal favourite five though would be Dicaprio, Hanks, Damon, Jonah Hill and Seth Rogan.

On the reverse side, five actors who I don't really enjoy despite perceived popularity. Bruce Willis, Zach Galifianakis, Chris Evans, Johnny Depp and Gerard Butler.

Nowhere near as bad as the likes of Adam Sandler and his crew though. Terrible.

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Generally, movies involving DiCaprio, Hanks, Tom Cruise, Will Smith or Denzel Washington are going to be pretty good.

For comedies, Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, Paul Rudd, Steve Carrell, Ben Stiller, Seth Rogan, Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum and Matt Franco are pretty awesome. (Not all their movies, but at least a few).

Then there are others such as Daniel Day-Lewis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tom Hardy, Christian Bale, Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Mathew McConaughey, Robert Downey Jr, Bradley Cooper and Ben Affleck who have all had some enjoyable movies.

My personal favourite five though would be Dicaprio, Hanks, Damon, Jonah Hill and Seth Rogan.

On the reverse side, five actors who I don't really enjoy despite perceived popularity. Bruce Willis, Zach Galifianakis, Chris Evans, Johnny Depp and Gerard Butler.

To be a great actor they should capable of performing in a wide range of roles from serious dramas through to comedy.

14 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Jonah is very good.

Jennifer Lawrence 

Kevin Spacey

Jimmy Stewart 

Ben Kingsley

Bradley Cooper, at a push.

Mark Rylance comes so close, but as much as I've enjoyed his performances, it's come in limited number of roles, such as Wolf Hall, Bridge of Spies and Dunkirk.

I'm well aware he has lots of stage performances to his name, but I'm not of a social class that would have seen them, so I've stuck to film actors. 

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

To be a great actor they should capable of performing in a wide range of roles from serious dramas through to comedy.

For me Hanks and DiCaprio are the standout two from my generation who have performed various roles and had incredible success both financially (in terms of box office) and individual accolades for their acting ability.

I think it was mentioned Hanks' movies have earned the most combined of any actor currently active.

While DiCaprio has had a number of memorable movies such as Inception, Departed, Gangs of New York, Wolf of Wallstreet, Catch me if you can, Blood Diamond, Revenant, Django Unchained.

But it also takes a genius to keep rolling out top quality comedy movies, that's why Seth Rogen deserves huge success too. Most of his movies are critically acclaimed by rotten tomatoes.

Archived