Google Home or Amazon Alexa

Do any of you enlightened folks have an opinion either way? I am going to pick one of them up but I am not sure which one would suit me better yet, Google seems to look good for me but I am open to being convinced the other way.

A big selling point would be voice controlling my media through my TV (NowTV, Netlifx etc). Any advice would be appreciated.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Or you could get best of both worlds and buy the Sonos ONE. It's apparently agnostic. Works with Alexa today and they say they will add Google Home as alternative voice control option next year. 

Is it out yet?

Sonos are excellent, just recently picked up a pair without Alexa.

Not had the best of times with smart speakers, having owned both Alexa and Google Home they started off great but as time went on they became less smart.

By time they actually turned the light on I could have got up, changed the bulb and turned it on.

Weirdly Siri that gets a lot of stick for being dumb has a better success rate of understanding what I say.

No lie, the neighbour mentioned one morning he heard me having a right ding dong the night before, had no clue what he was talking about until I remembered shouting at the Google Home for not listening.

New tech though, in time these things will be great.

If you’re an Android/Google app user grab the Google Home, makes so much more sense as it will work flawlessly with the apps. Alexa, hmm, more geared towards their own app and Amazon shopping. 

7 hours ago, David said:

Weirdly Siri that gets a lot of stick for being dumb has a better success rate of understanding what I say.

I take it back, just asked Siri to turn hallway lights on, ok calling Ryan.....scramble to cancel the call.

?

Archived