Ronaldo > Messi

Day

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only comparison to make between Messi and Ronaldo is goals.

Because Messi is better in every other aspect of the game.

And in 2017 Messi has scored more goals than Ronaldo.

So how did Ronaldo win? Clearly a popularity contest. 

Iniesta in team of the year too. I love the guy. But he spent most of the year injured, so how did he get in instead of say N'Golo Kante?

This and the Ballon d'Or have become joke awards.

30 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Strength? Pace? Athleticism? Heading? Shooting power? Penalties?

I actually prefer Messi but your statement is simply wrong.

Not sure that’s entirely true anymore. 

He plays a lot in a front two now as a sort of mega-poacher. 

6 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Ok, so take away pace. You cannot tell me that Messi is stronger than Ronaldo? Or has better athletic qualities, such as jumping height, etc?

Isn’t this exactly the same as when people argued Jeff was stronger than Will? 

Jeff was a more powerful runner but Will was harder to shrug off the ball 

37 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

All depends of course on what you mean by 'aspects of the game'.

It could be argued that those you've listed are individual skills, that help Ronaldo score more goals than nearly everyone else. Incidentally i think you are right  about Ronaldo being better in each area. But 'aspects of the game' could be divided along the lines of 'goals scored'  'chances created for teammates' 'possession retained' and so on, possession won (both aren't great in that department). It's a vague phrase with a variety of interpretations.

For me, those who genuinely think Ronaldo is a better player than Messi can't have seen them both play often enough, because Messi superiority to everyone is abundantly apparent for those that do. That's the only explanation I can come up with, and that doesn't mean i don't think Ronaldo is a fantastic striker. He's phenomenal, and has been for years.

And he'll get all the awards this year, because of his role in propelling Real Madrid to the Champions League. Real Madrid won the CL and he was their top scorer and best player when it mattered (apart from the ref in the Bayern game). That's how these awards work and who can say that he doesn't deserve it for that achievement. But is he actually a better player than Messi? No way. 

2 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

That's not actually what I meant.

As a physical presence Ronaldo is superior, that can't be argued nor can Messi really do anything about it.

But in terms of ball control, passing ability, dribbling, chances created, vision, awareness, technique etc. Messi is better in almost every aspect.

They're actually completely different types of players. The only reason they get compared is because they are the best two players in the world, and their goals.

But Messi actually has scored more, so Messi is better than Ronaldo in almost every aspect including Ronaldo's main strength.

A better comparison would be to compare Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic/Cavani/Kane.

They're far more similar in players than the Messi/Ronaldo comparison.

Archived