Pregnant People

David

Expectant mothers should be called “pregnant people”, the Government has suggested in a submission to amend a UN treaty.
The proposed amendment is to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which the UK has been a signatory of since 1976.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s submission suggests the term “pregnant people” to avoid excluding “transgender people who have given birth”, The Sunday Times reported

Read more if you want http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/23/call-expectant-mothers-pregnant-people-government-suggests/

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is worse - the news story itself or the fact that the newspapers are using it to try and whip up a storm of controversy about it?

It's a complete non-story. Starts with:

Expectant mothers should be called “pregnant people”, the Government has suggested in a submission to amend a UN treaty.

Yet later says:

An FCO spokesman said: “The UK does not object to the use of the term 'pregnant woman'.

The only even vaguely interesting thing about it is that this is being suggested by a Tory government, so it can't even be attributed to "PC lefties". I bet that's annoying for certain people

43 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

The only even vaguely interesting thing about it is that this is being suggested by a Tory government, so it can't even be attributed to "PC lefties". I bet that's annoying for certain people

Can’t we have a day off ?

4 hours ago, David said:

The proposed amendment is to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which the UK has been a signatory of since 1976.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s submission suggests the term “pregnant people” to avoid excluding “transgender people who have given birth”, The Sunday Times reported

Read more if you want http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/23/call-expectant-mothers-pregnant-people-government-suggests/

Surely a trans-gender person that has given birth is no longer pregnant, and if it is a man who has changed to a woman is therefore a pregnant woman. A woman who has had a gender change into a man surely can’t have the necessary internal parts to become pregnant, thereby making it impossible to be a pregnant man? Or should this be in the ram’s eye thread?

3 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

I already hate it when women say ‘we are pregnant’. Surely it’s ‘I am pregnant’ or ‘we are expecting a baby’ 

I think that comes from the "We" are going to pick up all of your work as one by one, each one of you will now f*** off rapidly on maternity leave getting full whack for no work, kind of "we".

8 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Which is worse - the news story itself or the fact that the newspapers are using it to try and whip up a storm of controversy about it?

It's a complete non-story. Starts with:

Yet later says:

It's annoying to think that ANY politician is being paid from the public purse for things like this when we have so many people sleeping rough.

Don't think I could accept my pay cheque if this was the sum of my days work.

Archived