Isak Olafsson

Derbylad92

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting one. I can remember one of either Mel/Sam Rush (pretty sure it was Mel) mentioning Iceland as a place our scouts were looking at, due to the ratio of players produced when compared with their population size.

If anyone remembers this more clearly or has a link to where he said it, please feel free to help me out!

Born June 30 2000, Ísak played his first season for the senior side of Keflavík this summer and did very well.  Central midfield or defensive midfield is where he enjoys to play but he's also a capable central defender. 

Having an Icelander at the club would be fantastic in my biased opinion

On 20/10/2017 at 14:53, ramit said:

Born June 30 2000, Ísak played his first season for the senior side of Keflavík this summer and did very well.  Central midfield or defensive midfield is where he enjoys to play but he's also a capable central defender. 

DEL won't like it if we start that thunderclapping :lol:

Welcome Isak !

On 10/20/2017 at 22:53, ramit said:

One Eidur Gudjohnsen and everyone loses their mind.

55 minutes ago, scarboroughwa said:

One Eidur Gudjohnsen and everyone loses their mind.

Or maybe it has to do with Icelandic kids having fully qualified coaches from the age of 4, or that there are close to 900 UEFA licensed coaches there, which per capita is 10 times more than England has, or maybe it's the fact that the national squad has qualified for two major tournaments in a row and perhaps it has something to do with knowing that when clubs sign an Icelandic player they get a no nonsense determined mentally strong hard worker.

Nah, you're probably right,  it's because of Eiður

2 minutes ago, ramit said:

Or maybe it has to do with Icelandic kids having fully qualified coaches from the age of 4, or that there are close to 900 UEFA licensed coaches there, which per capita is 10 times more than England has, or maybe it's the fact that the national squad has qualified for two major tournaments in a row and perhaps it has something to do with knowing that when clubs sign an Icelandic player they get a no nonsense determined mentally strong hard worker.

Nah, you're probably right though it's because of Eiður

Well apart from 'that' win against england there ain't much coming out of there is there? Unless a bunch of coaches turns you on.

3 minutes ago, scarboroughwa said:

Well apart from 'that' win against england there ain't much coming out of there is there? Unless a bunch of coaches turns you on.

They have qualified for the World Cup top of their group, ahead of Croatia, Turkey and the Ukraine. This is with a p[opulationa a third of that of Derbyshire.

They appear to be doing something right.

1 minute ago, sage said:

They have qualified for the World Cup top of their group, ahead of Croatia, Turkey and the Ukraine. This is with a p[opulationa a third of that of Derbyshire.

They appear to be doing something right.

Yup, I remember a similar sort of thing when australia didn't just qualify, they got to the quarters. Australia was the new pool. Then...

6 minutes ago, scarboroughwa said:

Erm you need to check the facts again. Qualified for the 2018 world cup (grrr @ramit I will cry if we get you in our group again lol and possibly 2020 nations league too we'll find out in January with fixtures dates Nations league that is and world cup draw on 1st December)

12 minutes ago, ramit said:

Nah, you're probably right,  it's because of Eiður

It sounds good to me. Always a chance to get to the top with a small population. Although the top players will have to find other countries to play in because we all know you can only play Ice hockey on ice.

1 minute ago, DEL said:

Erm you need to check the facts again. Qualified for the 2018 world cup (grrr @ramit I will cry if we get you in our group again lol and possibly 2020 nations league too we'll find out in January with fixtures dates Nations league that is and world cup draw on 1st December)

Yup, aware of that.

6 minutes ago, scarboroughwa said:

You will notice that i didn't mention the win against England, because that's not really that impressive, is it?

Gylfi Sigurðsson was worth 45 million to Everton BTW

Quoting a two time former Derby manager.  "All they have is that big boy up front Sigurðsson....Sigþórsson and...oh my"

3 minutes ago, DEL said:

We really want to get England in our group, i can see it happening but i think you will probably beat us next time.  Won't underestimate us twice i should think.

2 minutes ago, ramit said:

You will notice that i didn't mention the win against England, because that's not really that impressive, is it?

Gylfi Sigurðsson was worth 45 million to Everton BTW

Quoting a two time former Derby manager.  "All they have is that big boy up front Sigurðsson....Sigþórsson and...oh my"

Yup, again. Next you'll be going on about ole gunnar solskjaer (don't say it).

Archived