Organ Donation

Wolfie

Thankfully I've never had to address this issue but I just think it's really sad that the families of signed up organ doners can over-ride their decision. I could understand it more if we ever change to the opt-out system but if someone has decided to sign up, then should we be able to go against their wishes?.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41671600

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Thankfully I've never had to address this issue but I just think it's really sad that the families of signed up organ doners can over-ride their decision. I could understand it more if we ever change to the opt-out system but if someone has decided to sign up, then should we be able to go against their wishes?.

It is yes, i dont understand it myself buy i think grief makes you make decisions you wouldnt make normally.

Its a shame people are dying though because of the lack of organ donations.

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

It's not right but I understand it. I would struggle if they wanted to cut up me wife or children to be honest.. Yes, I know all the arguments and it makes no sense but I am not 100% sure I could say go ahead. Strangely, they can take what they like from me..

Perhaps they should just not tell you?

I have carried a donor card with me now about 20 years. When I first got one some of my friends were worried that I was summoning a accident or sickness over me. These things doesn't always make sense, it's more about some gut feeling resisting death of the loved one any way possible.Luckily people have become more aware of the importance of having a donor card.

9 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

It's not right but I understand it. I would struggle if they wanted to cut up me wife or children to be honest.. Yes, I know all the arguments and it makes no sense but I am not 100% sure I could say go ahead. Strangely, they can take what they like from me..

Perhaps they should just not tell you?

I think you're dead right Angry. Most of us probably believe donation is a good thing but being asked to cut up a loved one at such a time is awful. 

If an individual has requested it they should tell their family.

20 hours ago, Wolfie said:

I’ve given you a like for bringing it up.

Really difficult one.

It is very difficult, and I can understand people not wanting loved ones to be cut up or be cut up themselves.

I think it would be a good poll to know how many people do carry donor cards, and their reasons for doing so or not.

I think for people to do so sometimes takes something to push you to, a family member needing donation etc etc. A lot of us probably think Im young, it wont happen to me etc. Im typical of that group of people, never carried one, cant now, but having seen those waiting for organs now would say to people carry one.

Another area the country is crying out for donors is blood, that can be done of course with little in the way of fears. I do think when it comes to any form of donation many of us perhaps intend to do it, the blood donation etc, but something comes up that stops us, often trivial, once again ive been guilty of that in the past myself, but i know when i was having 4 bags of blood pumped into me in an emergency blood transplant i was very grateful to those who do go and donate.

It something i now really regret not doing more of, only given blood once, but really wish had done it more.

I don’t carry one, nor do I give blood.

No real reason why, in fact it’s pretty pathetic really in that I just try not to think/plan for my own death at 35, the thought of one day the lights going out, that’s it, freaks me out a little.

Not sure if I should be concerned or not that with each girlfriend the conversation of cremation or burial has come up, my reply is pretty short.....do what you like, the day I die the funeral is for those left behind that might want to remember me. 

Guess I can understand why some families would be reluctant to see their loved ones taken a part before they’ve said goodbye. Although I’d like to think if wishes had been made I would respect them regardless of my own opinions/feelings.

As I grow older and perhaps more mentally prepared for a long nap organ donation might be something I would look into, at least leave the option option even if it’s blocked by friends/family.

Even with my medical history I still put myself on the organ donation list because maybe just maybe there could be chance someone could use one of my organs. It took me 2 min to register on the organ donor list. My and my wife have spoken about it and even putting the kids on the list. 

38 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

It is very difficult, and I can understand people not wanting loved ones to be cut up or be cut up themselves.

I think it would be a good poll to know how many people do carry donor cards, and their reasons for doing so or not.

I think for people to do so sometimes takes something to push you to, a family member needing donation etc etc. A lot of us probably think Im young, it wont happen to me etc. Im typical of that group of people, never carried one, cant now, but having seen those waiting for organs now would say to people carry one.

Another area the country is crying out for donors is blood, that can be done of course with little in the way of fears. I do think when it comes to any form of donation many of us perhaps intend to do it, the blood donation etc, but something comes up that stops us, often trivial, once again ive been guilty of that in the past myself, but i know when i was having 4 bags of blood pumped into me in an emergency blood transplant i was very grateful to those who do go and donate.

It something i now really regret not doing more of, only given blood once, but really wish had done it more.

Quite right that it often needs a push. I’ve been on the organ donor list for as long as I can remember but am also on the Anthony Nolan bone marrow / stem cell register because my childhood best mate died of lieukaemia at 20 years old. I probably wouldn’t have been otherwise. I haven’t been matched yet but would love to have the chance to help someone     .

I’m hardly perfect though. I’ve only given blood once as well. I’ve booked a couple of times recently but then cancelled because something “more important” has come up. 

Just now, Wolfie said:

Quite right that it often needs a push. I’ve been on the organ donor list for as long as I can remember but am also on the Anthony Nolan bone marrow / stem cell register because my childhood best mate died of lieukaemia at 20 years old. I probably wouldn’t have been otherwise. I haven’t been matched yet but would love to have the chance to help someone     .

I’m hardly perfect though. I’ve only given blood once as well. I’ve booked a couple of times recently but then cancelled because something “more important” has come up. 

Thats really good to be on that list, i know not a lot are and often relies on family members being a match.

1 hour ago, Hucknall Ram said:

Sometimes I feel that they should put everyone on the list and would need to opt out if your don't wish to donate. But I would of thought that would a legal minefield and against human rights 

dont they do that in scotland? sure they are looking at doing it in england.

16 minutes ago, Hucknall Ram said:

I didn't know that

Just looked its wales not scotland.

Families would still have the final say so lots would still not go through.

I have never been in that position were ive had to say about a family member, and it would be so hard, especially someone young or a child, but the thought someone could live because of it makes me think I would agree, but i guess until you are in that position you never know.

I know i once saw something on it and the most common reason for not were they think if you are on the donor register they might expedite your death or that doctors wouldnt try as hard to save you.

My mum has given blood ever since my cancer, I had to have so much blood transfusion to keep me alive with the chemotherapy and the toxic drugs. Both my parents are both on the organ donation register because there was kids that died when I was in hospital because there wasn't a some sort of donation available be for example bone marrow. Like you say when you are in that situation it makes you decide one way or the other. 

I was once told by someone in the NHS that the shortage of available organs started when the seat belt law was introduced. Presumably, up til that point they just helped themselves!

When my step son nearly died, the hospital were talking to my wife about 'harvesting his organs'. What a lovely phrase. Not.

Just registered onto the Organ Donation Register. Only took a couple of minutes. Told wife and family that if they don't comply my donor wishers when I die I'll be coming back to haunt them. 

One of the organs I donated was my heart but I doubt they'll want it as its knackered already but the rest look to be in good working order.

Archived