FIFA 2017 Awards in London next week

Carl Sagan

FIFA is trying to rival the Ballon d'Or with its own awards ceremony in London next week, Idris Elba presenting: http://www.fifa.com/the-best-fifa-football-awards/index.html

• Player of the year is between Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar.
  • Coach of the year is between Allegri, Conte and Zidane.
  • Goalie of the year is between Buffon, Carson (just kidding!), Navas and Neuer.
  • The Puskas Award (goal of the season) is open to a public vote between Deyna Castellanos, Oliver Giroud and Oscaline Masuluke (I've voted Giroud)
  • Fans of the Year is between Dortmund, Celtic and FC Copenhagen and is also a public vote (I think we need to up our game to be nominated, but if you read the nominations you can see the sort of thing they're after)

The Ballon d'Or is a France Football award and for a few years FIFA teamed up with them, but my reading of this is they want to bring it all under their roof.

My votes are in bold. I think for the integrity of the game (if FIFA and integrity can appear in the same sentence) the rest of you should also vote Giroud. I'd have saved the Castelanos goal as would most people on this forum, and Poom's header against us will in my eyes always be the best goal scored by a keeper so Masuluke's can't top the poll.

There's a highlights show on ITV on Monday 23rd at 22.45..

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

FIFA is trying to rival the Ballon d'Or with its own awards ceremony in London next week, Idris Elba presenting: http://www.fifa.com/the-best-fifa-football-awards/index.html

• Player of the year is between Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar.
  • Coach of the year is between Allegri, Conte and Zidane.
  • Goalie of the year is between Buffon, Carson (just kidding!), Navas and Neuer.
  • The Puskas Award (goal of the season) is open to a public vote between Deyna Castellanos, Oliver Giroud and Oscaline Masuluke (I've voted Giroud)
  • Fans of the Year is between Dortmund, Celtic and FC Copenhagen and is also a public vote (I think we need to up our game to be nominated, but if you read the nominations you can see the sort of thing they're after)

The Ballon d'Or is a France Football award and for a few years FIFA teamed up with them, but my reading of this is they want to bring it all under their roof.

My votes are in bold. I think for the integrity of the game (if FIFA and integrity can appear in the same sentence) the rest of you should also vote Giroud. I'd have saved the Castelanos goal as would most people on this forum, and Poom's header against us will in my eyes always be the best goal scored by a keeper so Masuluke's can't top the poll.

There's a highlights show on ITV on Monday 23rd at 22.45..

Will you be there Carl?

Try and sneak a Rams flag in if you can.

Player of the year is between Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar.

Coach of the year is between Allegri, Conte and Zidane.

Goalie of the year is between Buffon, Carson (just kidding!), Navas and Neuer.

The Puskas Award (goal of the season) is open to a public vote between Deyna Castellanos, Oliver Giroud and Oscaline Masuluke (I've voted Giroud) Not sure I've seen all 3 tbh

Fans of the Year is between Dortmund, Celtic and FC Copenhagen and is also a public vote (I think we need to up our game to be nominated, but if you read the nominations you can see the sort of thing they're after) Iceland

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Ha ha! Indeed I will. And I'll do my best, but advance security is already tight.

Can't you sneak us all in?

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Give us a wave Carl!

Great to see the UK winning an award - well done Celtic for best fans!

Of course a top night. In terms of English football they did show our U20s winning the World Cup in the highlights of the FIFA year. And Conte was in the final three for coach of the year (I had no idea he used to be bald but apparently so!). And Giroud's goal against Palace won goal of the year which was fair if you saw the whole buildup from box to box.

Sadly no sign of Mel. I talked with Ralph Krueger for a while (Southampton Chairman) and did ask if we could use his scouts. In fact, he was a bit on his own when my group was (briefly) chatting with Messi so I called him over to join us. All the stars were approachable. We had a young lad in our party (12 year old) and Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Buffon, Marcello and Pochettino (the kid's a Spurs fan) all did selfies with him and signed shirts (bought last minute from Sports Direct on the way in!).

Funny to walk past Maradona and at one point I called Jermaine Jenas a red dog to his face. Bizarrely I also had a long chat with Julia Hartley-Brewer about Brexit! Layla Anna-Lee fab (the future Mrs Sagan?). Didn't meet Idris. We had a green carpet which makes a change. Hope it stays in London with ITV as I'd get to go every year!

Archived