US Men's National Team

AmericanRam

Well embarrassingly we did not qualify for next year's World Cup and that will unfortunately I think just hinder our growth even more.

With this being said, just curious on yall's thoughts on what US needs to do going forward? I definitely feel a total overhaul is needed, with the head of US Soccer Gulati getting gone being first thing.

I always am excited to watch the World Cup, but tbh not even sure if will care to watch it at all next year.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all seriousness missing out on the World Cup isn't a huge disaster, outside of the US nobody is laughing at you, can't say I saw any coverage of it being a possibility until it happened.

Happens to the best of countries, have a word with the Netherlands fans, first Euro 2016 and now the World Cup, no disrespect to the US but they have far better players available to them.

Size of the country means little, the US is huuuuuge, but what with NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB, "soccer" has some catching up to do and that won't happen overnight, will take time for the sport to really catch on.

Arena gone was always going to happen, not entirely sure how much interest there would be in that job but you just go again next time.

I was very surprised. The US national team always seems to do well in the tournament and I was in Chicago during the last campaign where there was a lot of support. With the league now established it won't be a disaster, but a World Cup run can significantly raise enthusiasm nationally, as England saw in 1990. Coach should go.

I always had the impression that while football is a working class sport across the globe, it's a middle class sport in America. Perhaps to go to a higher level it has to capture more working class potential/talent early on, which means a higher profile, which means getting to World Cup finals! So, not a very helpful suggestion...

Commiserations though.

On 16/10/2017 at 03:18, AmericanRam said:

Well embarrassingly we did not qualify for next year's World Cup and that will unfortunately I think just hinder our growth even more.

With this being said, just curious on yall's thoughts on what US needs to do going forward? I definitely feel a total overhaul is needed, with the head of US Soccer Gulati getting gone being first thing.

I always am excited to watch the World Cup, but tbh not even sure if will care to watch it at all next year.

I struggle to care about the England team these days let alone your lot. Up the rams

Archived