Zanzala on loan to Chester for a month

David

On 16/10/2017 at 14:00, tomsdubs said:

The lad is 20, it's not like we are talking about a kid really any more. I can't see him making it here unless he improves drastically as a late bloomer.

Surely we're not expecting the lad to be the finished article at 20? He's got talent, just give him time to progress. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Surely we're not expecting the lad to be the finished article at 20? He's got talent, just give him time to progress. 

Hughes was on his 4th season by 20, same goes for Bennett who was around the first team from 15. I like the look of Zanzala when I see the u23s but it's easy to bully those CBs. When I watch his interviews he seems a bit timid, we play in a ruthless league. Don't get me wrong I want Zanzala to be awesome but the club will only stick by him so long.

On 10/16/2017 at 14:00, tomsdubs said:

The lad is 20, it's not like we are talking about a kid really any more. I can't see him making it here unless he improves drastically as a late bloomer.

A 20 year old Harry Kane went on loan to Championship side Leicester and did bugger all.

At 24, he's now the best striker in England.

8 minutes ago, mumblemumble said:

A 20 year old Harry Kane went on loan to Championship side Leicester and did bugger all.

At 24, he's now the best striker in England.

I always thought Kane had something about him and at least he was playing at a decent level. Zanzala is currently non league. It's a pretty extreme example, pretty much an outlier.

On 16/10/2017 at 14:00, tomsdubs said:

Believe me, a twenty-year old is a kid in life and most definitely in football terms, there are always exceptions but that is what they are, exceptions. It is good that the young lad is given opportunities by the club to play against defenders with far more know-how than he will come up against in the U23's.

4 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

True, and even when he went to Leicester he didn't set the championship on fire. But would Derby stick with Zanzala until he is 25/26? 

Why would they? If he doesn't ;look like he is going to break into the first team squad by the end of his contract he will be moved on. Vardy went to Fleetwood to learn his trade. Sometimes  in football it can be just something a coach comes up with that can spark a change, or even just a lucky break or two or dropping down the pyramid to come back up.

3 hours ago, bcnram said:

Believe me, a twenty-year old is a kid in life and most definitely in football terms, there are always exceptions but that is what they are, exceptions. It is good that the young lad is given opportunities by the club to play against defenders with far more know-how than he will come up against in the U23's.

But clough wasn’t on that particular job. 

On 10/16/2017 at 14:00, tomsdubs said:

Can seem him bouncing around L1/Conference level myself, if was five years ago he'd have had first team apperenace like Callum Ball got

12 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Give the lad a proper chance to show what he do.

Why are we so quick to both build people up or dismiss players in an instant.

Get real, Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are good players.

Showing concern isn't dismissal.

The choice of Chester is strange. To be honest I don't know what type of footballing side they are but if the style is too different it could prove to be a negative. Fingers crossed for the lad. 

I wonder if Hughes was 'ready for first team football' when Nigel gave him his chance. How exactly to you know when somebody is ready. U23 football is a waste of time.. Loans can go either way and not always the players fault. These are critical years and the current system does not work.

Watched a lot of college football in the US and the draft system and it works. Very competitive games and a decent 'pathway' if you are good enough. Is it time to rip up the academy system? Yes in my opinion.  

21 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

I always thought Kane had something about him and at least he was playing at a decent level. Zanzala is currently non league. It's a pretty extreme example, pretty much an outlier.

It was just an example.

Players develop at different ages. I don't think we can write off Zanzala yet.

Archived