US or UK Comedy

Angry Ram

It fluctuates. Get Smart, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie etc in the 60s.

In the 1970s and early 80s, British comedy easily. From the sitcoms to the sketch shows, British comedy was actually funny...Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister and Not the Nine O’Clock News have not dated at all. In hindsight, Blackadder and The Young Ones were the last hurrah of British sitcoms although ‘Allo ‘Allo was the honourable exception for most of its run.

Since the mid-1980s though, other than the occasional sketch show (Alas Smith and Jones, French and Saunders and the like), British comedy has barely touched the surface. The better quality American comedies were miles ahead of most of the dross on both sides of the Atlantic, namely Cheers, Frasier and the terribly underrated Newhart were all exceptional.

Right now, they are both carp.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

The better quality American comedies were miles ahead of most of the dross on both sides of the Atlantic, namely Cheers, Frasier and the terribly underrated Newhart were all exceptional.

Hard to take anyone that hasn't seen Die Hard seriously. Especially with this as well.

7 hours ago, David said:

Absolutely nothing correct in this post at all, all wrong, very wrong. Friends? Come on now, that was horrendously bad

Friends is horrendously bad and open all hours is funny? Well it takes all tastes I spose. 

26 minutes ago, David said:

The original not the remake. David Jason, doesn't get any better.

You know he was in the original don't you?

1 minute ago, David said:

Ahh, not bothered with it, same with Porridge remake either. Should never bugger about with a classic

I actually think its quite funny. For a sequel/remake its alright. Johnny Vegas and Tim Healy are good in it.

24 minutes ago, David said:

Ahh, not bothered with it, same with Porridge remake either. Should never bugger about with a classic

Porridge was written by Clement and lefrenais.. who also wrote the Likely Lads another really good UK comedy in its day. But this was 40 years ago. Where have they been since then? In America! I rest my case m'lud.  

So basically, there is good comedy from both sides "of the pond".

There has also been some utter rubbish from both sides too.

Not sure if I hate US things like Friends more than dross like Mrs Browns Boys. Probably the US stuff as at least the British rubbish doesn't pretend it has any artistic merit.

Imagine watching Big Train in the 90s and someone telling you that there will be no more good sketch shows ever, bar 2-3 bits of Mitchell or Webb. Or when Monkey Dust Series 2 finished, so did it's genre (at least in Britain).

Archived