US or UK Comedy

Angry Ram

Been watching some US stuff here in the hotel and I must say some of the old stuff if really good. Loved this fella when it was aired in the UK but just

seen it again here and I nearly wet myself. 

2ihtrgy.jpg

Guilty pleasure I know.

Normally I would go UK every day but I am swaying.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Been watching some US stuff here in the hotel and I must say some of the old stuff if really good. Loved this fella when it was aired in the UK but just

seen it again here and I nearly wet myself. 

2ihtrgy.jpg

Guilty pleasure I know.

Normally I would go UK every day but I am swaying.

Alf was great. Its hard to say which is best I have some proper favourites from both. 

My favourite all time is probably frasier .

46 minutes ago, David said:

UK hands down, would struggle to name one US show that is actually worth watching. They should stick to films only.

1 minute ago, scarboroughwa said:

Come on. us comedy? Pffft. Is this a wind up?

I think you are right mostly, todays comedies i dont really get, stuff like modern family and big bang theory i just dont find funny.

They have had a few over the years but i do think the UK has had lots more, i stand by Frasier is one of the funniest of all time, but actually if you look how that was written and performed by the main actors it actually had a quite 'british' feel.

The simpsons, early seasons, was very funny too.

The difference with UK vs US shows (not just comedy) is that in the USA, they'll have a big team of writers and are able to produce decent 20-odd show series, where as UK productions tend to have one or two writers and are usually limited to 6 show series at the most.

Fawlty towers was a classic but there are only 12 episodes. Blackadder was 24 (and the first 6 were a bit rubbish). Compare that to Friends or Frasier (OK not as laugh out loud maybe but decent enough) with 236 and 264.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I think you are right mostly, todays comedies i dont really get, stuff like modern family and big bang theory i just dont find funny.

They have had a few over the years but i do think the UK has had lots more, i stand by Frasier is one of the funniest of all time, but actually if you look how that was written and performed by the main actors it actually had a quite 'british' feel.

The simpsons, early seasons, was very funny too.

I was always a night owl. Never to bed before one ish or two. A few years ago Letterman was on night, after night, after night, after night... i watched it here there, here there, here there for... ever, it felt like forever, because he was the king!

You know what, I never laughed once. Not once.

Archived