Best Restaurants in the world

froggg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a tough one.. I hate the snobbery of some so called best restaurants. 

I prefer good old home cooking if i'm honest. It does not have to be flashy a nice paella will do nicely.

Mrs Angry is a bit of a star in the kitchen, so the dining room at chateau Angry is currently number one.

I love eating fantastic food in good restaurants and part of the definition of 'good' for me is that they are unstuffy and make you feel comfortable to be there. And that Mrs Ilkley is with me.

I'm lucky enough to have eaten at the Black Swan and it was amongst the best I have ever had; so too is L'enclume in the Lake District and a restaurant called annua in northern Spain.  The two best Hotel restaurants I've eaten in are Le Manoir near Oxford and Hotel Majestic in Barcelona both of which are great hotels as well as restaurants (the Black Swan and L'enclume are also hotels but I haven't stayed there)

13 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

That's a tough one.. I hate the snobbery of some so called best restaurants. 

I prefer good old home cooking if i'm honest. It does not have to be flashy a nice paella will do nicely.

Mrs Angry is a bit of a star in the kitchen, so the dining room at chateau Angry is currently number one.

Totally agree, pay a fortune for some fancy pants starter that you have finished in 30 seconds.

Having travelled extensively with my career, I could name a dozen maybe more restaurants all over the globe that really did it for me. Only one of which would be a Michelin star. All the others would be bog standard places where I have eaten really good food.

One of the best places was in Sri-Lanka, I ask a local tut tut driver to take me somewhere where I could get some good food and he took me to a house where an old lady knocked up the finest curry I have ever eaten. So good that we went back the next day.

It doesn't have to be a place owned by a top Chef to be good food.

Six Hills cafe on the northbound A46, heading away from Leicester & towards Newark (next to a Shell garage)

Called in yesterday & it's run by a great cook (looks italian/greek) and though the menu is mostly the standard greasy spoon all-day-breakfast type fayre, everything is top quality.

I had a Special chip butty yesterday & he wouldn't tell me what made it special, but when it came, it was home-made chips, parmesan cheese and some chopped mushrooms in some sort of creamy sauce. It sounds awful but tasted bloody lovely.

Highly recommend if you're passing.

14 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I had a Special chip butty yesterday & he wouldn't tell me what made it special, but when it came, it was home-made chips, parmesan cheese and some chopped mushrooms in some sort of creamy sauce. It sounds awful but tasted bloody lovely.

That does sound amazing - but what if you don't like mushrooms?? My lad hates mushrooms and would have punched him if that had been the secret special ingredient he wouldn't tell him about

Archived