Cyrus Christie

Leicester Ram

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/15587403.MIDDLESBROUGH__Cyrus_Christie____I_wouldn_t_be_playing_like_this_for_Ireland_if_I_hadn_t_moved_to_Middlesbrough_

Christie talked a lot in an interview about the team spirit at Boro and how much of a better place he's in than he was at Derby.

I'm not surprised in the slightest, I think Christie got a lot of unwarranted stick, particularly when things were going truly tits up at the end of 14/15 and he became a scapegoat for an issue that was clearly club wide and much bigger than Christie.

The treatment of him on social media when he was leaving this summer was shocking in my eyes, some of the most fickle parts of our fan base had no trouble tagging him in tweets about how s*** he is and how he's not worth anything at all, despite having a really solid 15/16 and played really well last year when he was fit. 

The sort of fans who have to take out their frustrations on one player are the worst in my opinion and only contribute to players like Christie's poor form. Speaking of which...

I think it's a bit ironic that member states of our fan base are so quick to call a player a 'cry baby' for speaking out about their time at Derby, when they run to twitter as soon as any ex-derby player for a session of namecalling. Happened with Butterfield too.

How can you criticise someone for not taking criticism when you can't take it yourself? Christie has just as much right to defend himself as you do.

Christie took a lot of s*** here for season and the most he ever did was shush the crowd when he scored (funkily enough, Butterfield did the same). He acted like a professional.

I think he's much less of a cry baby than a lot of our fans.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic of the way players are treated affecting confidence is a recurring theme. Darren Bent has some interesting stuff to say about it (at other clubs) in his extended interview. 

Yet there are still plenty who think it's their right to take a pop at the players at every opportunity.  Fine mate, but don't expect them to repay you with their best form. 

He is being honest thats all, he did get stick at Derby and if hes happier whats wrong with stating the fact the guy posting on twitter is a regular poster here too i think, but to me its just trolling.

Look at the stick Keogh got and his Mrs it was disgraceful, i dont get it, i suppose the internet makes people very brave, i dare bet the individuals wouldnt be so keen to make the same comments 121 with the players concerned.

29 minutes ago, angieram said:

This topic of the way players are treated affecting confidence is a recurring theme. Darren Bent has some interesting stuff to say about it (at other clubs) in his extended interview. 

Yet there are still plenty who think it's their right to take a pop at the players at every opportunity.  Fine mate, but don't expect them to repay you with their best form. 

Exactly so.

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

The treatment of him on social media when he was leaving this summer was shocking in my eyes, some of the most fickle parts of our fan base had no trouble tagging him in tweets about how s*** he is and how he's not worth anything at all, despite having a really solid 15/16 and played really well last year when he was fit. 

Think he was treated poorly by a lot of our fans - He was thrown into the side as an unfinished potential gem and he was given a lot of grief for not yet being the finished article - Think he came back strong and is a very good, attacking championship full-back

Last season he was very harshly done by because he was left to attack on his own on the RHS - They just assumed he could beat players and 90% of the time he got the ball in the attacking half he was alone against 2 players - He was at his best when working in a two on that side as it gave the "will he pass or dribble or cross?" confusion to the defenders

For me - Wisdom is a defensive upgrade - But not attacking - And Christie had every right to expect first team football which he wasn't going to get here - Fair play to him and all the best

And we all know that @RamsPolls is a mardy child at times - I really hope that Cyrus doesn't think the overly vocal mad elements of our fanbase represent us - It's a bit sad acting like a jilted lover when a player leaves

Unless there's something old flashy-trainers isn't telling us?

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Think he was treated poorly by a lot of our fans - He was thrown into the side as an unfinished potential gem and he was given a lot of grief for not yet being the finished article - Think he came back strong and is a very good, attacking championship full-back

Last season he was very harshly done by because he was left to attack on his own on the RHS - They just assumed he could beat players and 90% of the time he got the ball in the attacking half he was alone against 2 players - He was at his best when working in a two on that side as it gave the "will he pass or dribble or cross?" confusion to the defenders

For me - Wisdom is a defensive upgrade - But not attacking - And Christie had every right to expect first team football which he wasn't going to get here - Fair play to him and all the best

And we all know that @RamsPolls is a mardy child at times - I really hope that Cyrus doesn't think the overly vocal mad elements of our fanbase represent us - It's a bit sad acting like a jilted lover when a player leaves

Unless there's something old flashy-trainers isn't telling us?

The only problem is that these are the ones the players hear most.

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The only problem is that these are the ones the players hear most.

I would love to say we should all make the effort to send positive messages to them to balance it - But human nature dictates we generally only pay attention to the bad stuff anyway

17 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I just can't understand what compels people to log in and start throwing abuse or criticism at people on twitter.

It is infantile and unnecessary behavior from people that I am sure are capable of being perfectly normal when they aren't on the internet, I just don't get it.

maybe people show their true colours when on the internet, who knows.  I don't get it either

26 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He got a lot of stick.

I don't blame him for his comments.

Glad he's happy now he's moved on.

Why are we so quick to get on our own players backs?

He made lots of mistakes, and is only playing now for Ireland as their first choice is out injured.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He made lots of mistakes, and is only playing now for Ireland as their first choice is out injured.

Hardly warrants people trolling him online.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

It happens to lots of people on Twitter famous or not. He's an okay fullback hardly warrants him likening himself as best in the division. :lol:

Just cause it happens lots don't make it OK.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Didn't say it did. But he shouldn't be surprised about how offensive football fans can be.

True, but why are they? Not really football fans just weirdos sat in their mums back room in 7 day old boxer shorts.

32 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It happens to lots of people on Twitter famous or not. He's an okay fullback hardly warrants him likening himself as best in the division. :lol:

You missed out the important bit 'on his day' - why do we constantly look for things to berate players for instead of praising the good? 

So many ex-Derby players do well elsewhere precisely because they are EX- Derby players! 

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

You missed out the important bit 'on his day' - why do we constantly look for things to berate players for instead of praising the good? 

So many ex-Derby players do well elsewhere precisely because they are EX- Derby players! 

So many? He's an okay Championship fullback on his day, then. He thinks he's better, maybe that was part of the problem? I'm not berating him.

Archived