Lithuania v England

froggg

7 hours ago, GenBr said:

Are you saying England is a top footballing nation? I don't think we will stand much hope against any of the qualified teams at the moment and that includes Iran and the Saudis.

I'm saying that the system whereby the major nations play a selection of minnows in order to 'qualify' is a bit of a joke.

the mighty slovakia - our toughest opponent is ranked 19th, just ahead of northern ireland and costa rica.

we qualify without too much trouble, but then we can't really hack it when we meet more serious opposition in the tournament. We even seem to struggle against the swedens and the icelands. 

Of wayne rooney's 53 goals, only four or five came against top sides: France, argentina, brazil x 2, netherlands?. The vast majority of the goals were scored against shiite, - macedonia, leichtenstein, belarus, estonia, khazakstan, andorra, san marino, montenegro, slovenia, scotland, australia, Ecuador because these are the mismatched contests that we play. It would be the same for every major nation now. 

The number of foreign players in the Premier league has negatively impacted upon the quality of the national side but we could expect a championship side to beat most of these teams. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RamNut said:

I'm saying that the system whereby the major nations play a selection of minnows in order to 'qualify' is a bit of a joke.

the mighty slovakia - our toughest opponent is ranked 19th, just ahead of northern ireland and costa rica.

we qualify without too much trouble, but then we can't really hack it when we meet more serious opposition in the tournament. We even seem to struggle against the swedens and the icelands. 

Of wayne rooney's 53 goals, only four or five came against top sides: France, argentina, brazil x 2, netherlands?. The vast majority of the goals were scored against shiite, - macedonia, leichtenstein, belarus, estonia, khazakstan, andorra, san marino, montenegro, slovenia, scotland, australia, Ecuador because these are the mismatched contests that we play. It would be the same for every major nation now. 

The number of foreign players in the Premier league has negatively impacted upon the quality of the national side but we could expect a championship side to beat most of these teams. 

But to be fair to Rooney it's not like he played lots of matches against the teams you mention. His record against the top teams is probably 1 in 3 or something.

Out of Messi's 58 international goals only 5 or 6 have been against these top teams.

45 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

But to be fair to Rooney it's not like he played lots of matches against the teams you mention. His record against the top teams is probably 1 in 3 or something.

Out of Messi's 58 international goals only 5 or 6 have been against these top teams.

Rooney's record v top teams - 5 in 21 by my reckoning 

10 hours ago, RamNut said:

We were even worse in the 1970s when the only foreign players in the old first division were the occasional Argentinian. 

Wayne Rooney has won every football honour available for a player plying his trade in the PL, he has scored more goals for England than anyone else and yet people still fail to recognise his quality.  I think it was Sven who said that it says a lot about the mentality of an English fan that they question his ability and skill when you look at his achievements.

its not as though English football has been at the forefront of world football before the PL, people blame foreigners, sky, etc etc however for me it’s a mentality barrier that we come against every time someone puts on an England shirt in a major tournament.  People expect them and want them to fail, they don’t want to see them as hero’s, we don’t like winners, we would rather celebrate a frank bruno than a Chris Eubank.  

We finished top of our group and yet that is still not good enough for some, don’t get me wrong I don’t like the brand of football Southgate deploys, but as of today you can’t argue with the results...some will though.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Agreed.

England's obsession with taller, stronger, faster at a young age is a major part of the problem.

These are indeed what we euphemistically refer to as "English " traits. Hard working, maximum effort,  pace, excitement etc.....

We've started seemingly developing young English talent through st Georges park. Be good to get to the stage where all England senior players have come through that system rather than had one great season  (a la vardy ). 

Trouble is Hants, all the good work Simmo done with his group of young lads will be wasted when they get older as they progress into teams managed by your Boothroyds and Southgates who the FA seem to favour. Until these kind of managers get overlooked and we look to the likes of the Pochettinos and Silvas the English traits will remain the order of the day. :(  

3 hours ago, EHR said:

Trouble is Hants, all the good work Simmo done with his group of young lads will be wasted when they get older as they progress into teams managed by your Boothroyds and Southgates who the FA seem to favour. Until these kind of managers get overlooked and we look to the likes of the Pochettinos and Silvas the English traits will remain the order of the day. :(  

Don't take away my rosy view of the future. ....it's all I have to cling to as I watch raheem sterling yet again running very quickly into a cul de sac :(

Archived