Derby County V Notts Forest

peachmyster

2 hours ago, Lambchop said:

As you say yourself, Russell invariably runs the ball into trouble or out of play, and he's been doing it for years. We've long since seen the absolute limits of his capabilities. Lawrence already looks capable of far more and will likely improve. No contest. 

Why does he though? That's what I'm getting at. Russell has had 2 or 3 performances this season that are way ahead of any of Lawrence's. He does less stepovers than Lawrence and less flicks and tricks. Still produces as much except at Bolton and another away game where he was driving us on with Vydra.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The comparison of lawrence v ince is academic since we sold one of them and therefore they are not competing for the same shirt. However on that subject i would say that tom ince actually produced surprisingly few assists especially from open play. His strength was coming inside on his left foot and even though that produced some memorable goals e.g. V forest, that was about it. 

Lawrence is more two footed. He is still settling in so it is too early to judge, but just let him do his thing so we can see what we have got. His final ball was often astray in the first half especially, but his dead balls look good, and it is refreshing to see a player willing to take on the opposition at every opportunity. To me he looks very promising. It would have been interesting to have both lawrence and ince in the team but hey ho.

Lawrence v russell is also fairly meaningless. Russell was man of the match v forest and rightly so. He ran through brick walls for us. His finishing and his final ball can be lacking but he brings workrate, commitment, desire, and pressing. on his day he can still be very good for us. He needs to become consistently good instead of frequently flawed.

The fact is that we have very few options in midfield.

Lawrence and russell are competing with mason bennett and weimann for two of three wide midfield positions. The central attacking midfield position options are vydra, johnson, thorne, (bryson) or possibly another striker deployed in a midfield role. Vydra works well especially at home. When we want to park the bus, Johnson or thorne effectively offer a third holding-type of midfielder which makes us very solid. 

The challenge at the moment is to get players up in support of the four attacking players. Is it my imagination or is wisdom getting forward more than he ever did previously? He seemed to charge forward willingly v forest whereas i remember a player who was reluctant to cross the half-way line. We need to get the full backs forward. Then lawrence, vydra and russell can have licence to roam and may become very dangerous. 

despite the perverse belief that low possession stats are good - they aren't. It shows a team that cannot retain possession and is not good enough with the ball. Ledley is tidier than bull-in-a-china-shop Johnson and we seem to retain the ball slightly better since his arrival. (I only noticed one Ledley hoof v forest). If we can recoil and defend well, but also attack with 5 or 6 mobile players who are comfortable in possession then we could really be onto something.

We will know that we've cracked it when the full backs are chipping in with a few goals from open play.

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

I did, was like 33/1 Vydra 2-0 on SkyBet. Think it was a price boost too.

Well done mate 

Prior to the game I was thinking Vydra needed to do more and he certainly did that against Forest. 

Rowett made the right call after Cardiff as I thought he would bring Martin into the side. 

Suppose we will never know if Martin would have held the ball up better and we would have won with him and Winnall. 

54 minutes ago, curtains said:

Well done mate 

Prior to the game I was thinking Vydra needed to do more and he certainly did that against Forest. 

Rowett made the right call after Cardiff as I thought he would bring Martin into the side. 

Suppose we will never know if Martin would have held the ball up better and we would have won with him and Winnall. 

Vydras and Nugent's goals were great but I do think they masked a otherwise poor performance as a team.

Forest,had they been more clinical,should at least have drawn with us and it was fortunate they didn't take the two clear cut chances they had.

A more clinical high pressing side would have had us for breakfast I fear.

We had poor ball retention throughout as there appeared to be few outlets once we were in possession....as a result our players started to look very leggy and tired,which is what will happen if you can't hang onto the ball and have to run about like a loon,constantly trying to get the ball back(very admirable Johnny,but you shouldn't have to be doing it all game)

I'm hoping that the next game will improve on this aspect and we see a bit more accurate passing and interplay.I appreciate that rowett seems to want to play on the break but holding up and onto the ball will make for a more controlled performance surely.

31 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Vydras and Nugent's goals were great but I do think they masked a otherwise poor performance as a team.

Forest,had they been more clinical,should at least have drawn with us and it was fortunate they didn't take the two clear cut chances they had.

A more clinical high pressing side would have had us for breakfast I fear.

We had poor ball retention throughout as there appeared to be few outlets once we were in possession....as a result our players started to look very leggy and tired,which is what will happen if you can't hang onto the ball and have to run about like a loon,constantly trying to get the ball back(very admirable Johnny,but you shouldn't have to be doing it all game)

I'm hoping that the next game will improve on this aspect and we see a bit more accurate passing and interplay.I appreciate that rowett seems to want to play on the break but holding up and onto the ball will make for a more controlled performance surely.

I think Rowett understands its about controlled type performances and local Derbys against Forest are always going to be a one off game. 

Martin adds control upfront when he is on his game but needs runners getting around him so he can build moves  . Rowett has said it was tough leaving Martin out and Winnall has had no game time yet .

Thorne coming into contention will be a bonus for Martin and Rowett and the team as a whole  .

Vydra and Nugent did a job on Forest but all our strikers give good value and it’s about getting the best combinations week in week out   

Count nobody out and nobody in  

On 10/15/2017 at 13:11, Bris Vegas said:

I don't have the internet so I can't watch this one I'm afraid. I'm just going by live text and you guys.

One has to wonder whether we're seemingly so deep and willing to give up possession because we took such an early lead.

Rowett loves to play counterattacking football, and taking such an early lead has probably flicked a switch in the players' mind to suddenly play like an away side.

I'm a huge fan of possession football. So for me it's turgid watching a Rowett team play but you can play this way and get results.

We're just a long way off from becoming or reaching the level of our role models - Burnley football club.

Interesting observation about Rowett. With the players Burnley have at the moment, Rowett might be a decent shout to replace Dyche if he goes to Everton, Leicester or West Ham.

Impressed on a shoestring budget at Brum.

Archived