Rowett type of player

MackworthRamIsGod

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Excuse me Sir but that is utter tosh. The rest of it is just mere tosh. No offence intended. 

Interesting you picked on that one bit - because I never said I agree with the assessment that Will wasn't strong enough, I just said that's what I am convinced GR thinks that - re: the physical strength bit plus corollaries which you can maybe deduce. Maybe not. 

24 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Interesting you picked on that one bit - because I never said I agree with the assessment that Will wasn't strong enough, I just said that's what I am convinced GR thinks that - re: the physical strength bit plus corollaries which you can maybe deduce. Maybe not. 

True. You didn't. I have heard many people say WH is  "lightwight". I can assure them he isn't. He's very strong and very hard to knock off the ball. I'm still staggered that GR got rid of WH...WH said himself that he'd much prefer to play Championship football than waste away on the bench in the Premiership...well where is he now? I do believe he will eventually break through and become a permanent feature [for Watford] but I think WH only left Derby after GR showed him the way "out of the building". 

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

True. You didn't. I have heard many people say WH is  "lightwight". I can assure them he isn't. He's very strong and very hard to knock off the ball. I'm still staggered that GR got rid of WH...WH said himself that he'd much prefer to play Championship football than waste away on the bench in the Premiership...well where is he now? I do believe he will eventually break through and become a permanent feature [for Watford] but I think WH only left Derby after GR showed him the way "out of the building". 

Yes but it's a bit more complicated - not just GR but Will too. You could see last season the team was slowing him down, he was on a different wavelength; we kept remarking in games that he just needs to play at a higher level with better players around him to unleash his quality more. That contrasts to Rowett I think who wanted to shake the team up and who prob didn't view will as a Rowett sort of player (pace power goal contribution). It's actually the only player I think we made a mistake getting rid of but if Will himself  wasn't pressing for a move in the summer then he wasn't being selfish enough; the fact that watford have discovered other players and are doing well means he will have to bide his time or go out on loan and prove it all over again.

8 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I think most do mate but you can't just pluck statements out of your arse to justify a point, that's why people have issues with the post you quoted and probably why the positive thread got shot down. 

There's got to be some middle ground in-between the miserable and the blind. Curtis Davies comfy on the ball?! Let's be reyt.

Out of interest, which of the bold bits that you highlighted and so presume you are referring to is about "plucking statements" - that I hope and expect him to succeed? That I'm prepared to suffer the poor football we've seen while the transition is in place?

Where have I said Curtis Davies is comfy on the ball? 

I think in all honesty I am the middle ground.

Just now, VulcanRam said:

Out of interest, which of the bold bits that you highlighted and so presume you are referring to is about "plucking statements" - that I hope and expect him to succeed? That I'm prepared to suffer the poor football we've seen while the transition is in place?

Where have I said Curtis Davies is comfy on the ball? 

I think in all honesty I am the middle ground.

I should give Gary a call mate. There's bugger all else in the middle ground for us :lol:

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I would say that WH was the least likeliest player at Derby to be knocked off the ball (other than through a good clattering from behind).

It truly amazes me that people still think that. He was also the best at winning the ball from an opposition player. 

Rowett's type of player depends on which position so its pretty hard to state one type. I would say his type or style of play is what Southgate's England serve up.

Hard to beat, functional with the odd chance of snatching a goal and equivalent to watching repeats of Crossroads..

7 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Rowett's type of player depends on which position so its pretty hard to state one type. I would say his type or style of play is what Southgate's England serve up.

Hard to beat, functional with the odd chance of snatching a goal and equivalent to watching repeats of Crossroads..

I was thinking similar thoughts while listening to the England game commo the other day. Both Southgate and Rowett seem very similar in their styles and team set ups. #luckyus

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I would say that WH was the least likeliest player at Derby to be knocked off the ball (other than through a good clattering from behind).

It truly amazes me that people still think that. He was also the best at winning the ball from an opposition player. 

Agree. No one took it off him. He must hold some sort of record for us in dispossessions of opposing players too Feisty lad he was. Then there's the silky football ... ugh ...

Can't we just "pretend" Will didn't have the toolset, uttox? it would make the divorce so much easier to get through. 

18 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Can't we just "pretend" Will didn't have the toolset, uttox? it would make the divorce so much easier to get through. 

I'll "pretend" i'm over it in public, you know, lets just be friends, Gary needs time etc....but inside i'm turning into a serial killer:ph34r:

On 06/10/2017 at 11:59, Ninos said:

Because he goes into games with a plan explains that plan in the media, and executes to that plan. Players look focused and motivated. That's why. He's reshaping a failure of a side. 

Its fine to ask what his type of player is but the responses are cynical and comical. As usual

The answer is complex but ...

his defenders are Curtis Davies types : big strong comfy on the ball great attitude leaders. Set piece monsters. Wisdom too is Rowetty 

His midfielders are strong ball winners but he recognizes a need for varied skilsets. Johnson is our most Rowetty midfielder.

His forwards need be impact hard working pressing quick strong players - so far, Winnall maybe 

A Rowett player is one who can adapt to a strategy of attack press create but also defend in a structure with the ability to break quickly. 

My fave player was Hughes but he's not a Rowett player cuz he's not that strong and prob not willing to really put time in to get stronger and cannot counter at real pace plus his lack of goalscoring prob sealed his fate. He was a good presser though and read the game well ...

At this stage there's a fairly sizeable difference in the type of manager you want him to be/are giving him credit for being and the type of manager he's being thus far. I hope he's given time and makes us an exciting, fast paced, creative football team. At present he's a cross between Clement and Pearson with a more likeable personality.

What is a Rowetty player? At the moment the rhetoric and the reality are some way apart.

3 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

At this stage there's a fairly sizeable difference in the type of manager you want him to be/are giving him credit for being and the type of manager he's being thus far. I hope he's given time and makes us an exciting, fast paced, creative football team. At present he's a cross between Clement and Pearson with a more likeable personality.

What is a Rowetty player? At the moment the rhetoric and the reality are some way apart.

He has perhaps some of the defensive traits of the Swansea clement,  but I don't see any similarities with the possession dominating derby clement. We did play some decent football under clement and didn't get tonked. 

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I'll "pretend" i'm over it in public, you know, lets just be friends, Gary needs time etc....but inside i'm turning into a serial killer:ph34r:

You do realise that now any suspicious deaths in the Uttoxeter environs and you're firmly in the frame Uttox ?

On 06/10/2017 at 21:14, Bris Vegas said:

An inconsistent, greedy ball-hogger?

The same player with the most assists so far this season, the most key passes per game out of our entire squad by some distance, the most passes per game compared with our other attacking options. 

Surely you aren’t talking about the same Lawrence as everyone else? :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The same player with the most assists so far this season, the most key passes per game out of our entire squad by some distance, the most passes per game compared with our other attacking options. 

Surely you aren’t talking about the same Lawrence as everyone else? :ph34r:

Don't come here with your evidence-based reasoning...it'll do you no good Sir. 

Archived