SBW #7: Darryl Powell

Hello again!

To tide everyone over during the international break, here's our latest episode - an in-depth interview with former Rams midfielder Darryl Powell.
The Jamaican known affectionately as 'the football genius' chatted to us for around 30 minutes, on topics including:
- How Derby settled so comfortably into Premiership life in 1996
- His most memorable games, opponents and teammates (including comparing one ex-Derby player to Lionel Messi!)
- His work now as a football agent, including two deals he's done involving Derby players.

Have a listen, and please share/tell a fellow Ram if you enjoyed it. Cheers!
Chris

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovely nostalgia balanced with genuinely interesting stories about what followed for Daryl.  Made me yearn for some more fearless young ones in our squad and one or two touches of continental class. Smart move to keep us entertained and connected to the pod in the tedious international period. Daryl was great (apart from the sound of him chewing gum?). Would have loved to hear his thoughts on Jim and Steve. As an interviewer you seem to avoid the modern trend for posing statements as questions and making it all about you. Very pleasing all round.

14 hours ago, Steve Bloomer's Washing said:

Thanks Andrew. I thought I'd got away with the gum-chewing! I only noticed that after recording, which was annoying.

DP was also wearing a massive coat which rustled a lot (see picture below). Took a bit of work editing that out. Glad you enjoyed it anyway!

WhatsApp Image 2017-10-11 at 09.08.14.jpeg

Well well! DP is clearly a very articulate, intelligent, focused and clear-sighted chap. Really enjoyed hearing his very considered views and opinions. Congratulations also Chris/SBW on a thoroughly professional and well put-together magazine piece. I'm a fan. Please do lots more...

Archived