Sonos

Day

Are they good?

What's the sound like?

I hear you have to use the Sono app to control them with Apple Music, is that a ball ache or does it run smoothly?

Play One's are they loud enough with just the one, or do you really need 2?

Is there better out there for the money?

Talk to me.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a play 1, easy enough to use Apple music via the Sonos app, same functionality just a different skin.

Depends where you're using it regards the sound quality, ours is in the conservatory so not the best place for it acoustically but volume isn't a problem.

Once you've downloaded the app, you can use it on any Sonos system, so if you don't like your friends choice of music, you can soon change it!

7 minutes ago, froggg said:

@David go into richer sounds for a demo, wired speakers are better they will tell you, equally they will happily sell you a wireless setup. I can play all my Spotify stuff through my old hifi via a DAC.

Not one up here.

I live in a new build terraced, walls like bog paper, not looking for a sound system to match the O2 arena, just pick up my phone and click play. 

Enough bass to not sound like a hamster in a wheel, but not enough to vibrate the neighbours sofa

7 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Totally awesome. App is easy to use. We have one in the kitchen. Pondering Christmas present to self to get the new Sonos ONE with voice control. 

Just seen that’s been announced, only £20 price difference as well. Might hold off to see if the Play:1 price drops further when they are released

1 hour ago, David said:

Not one up here.

I live in a new build terraced, walls like bog paper, not looking for a sound system to match the O2 arena, just pick up my phone and click play. 

Enough bass to not sound like a hamster in a wheel, but not enough to vibrate the neighbours sofa

go into Currys/Dixon and try them

• 1 month later...

@David  

Did you go any further with this? Try one in a shop or at home? 

Someone at work was raving about them. I was thinking about trying one. One of the main things it would be for would be listening upstairs, to radio 5 and 2, evenings and weekends. Now a very quick bit of research says you can't listen to BBC live radio. That could be nonsense, but that's what I'm reading. Some say you can, through tunein, but the reviews of that are awful. If I was to get the Sonos, I'd also use it for Spotify or whatever, but also BBC radio. Maybe I should just buy a better portable Dab radio?? 

3 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

@David  

Did you go any further with this? Try one in a shop or at home? 

Someone at work was raving about them. I was thinking about trying one. One of the main things it would be for would be listening upstairs, to radio 5 and 2, evenings and weekends. Now a very quick bit of research says you can't listen to BBC live radio. That could be nonsense, but that's what I'm reading. Some say you can, through tunein, but the reviews of that are awful. If I was to get the Sonos, I'd also use it for Spotify or whatever, but also BBC radio. Maybe I should just buy a better portable Dab radio?? 

I have two and for now that is true for iPhone at least, although they have announced support for Airplay is coming so once that is out you should in theory be able to listen to any audio.

Not sure about Android and how it works over there 

1 hour ago, David said:

I have two and for now that is true for iPhone at least, although they have announced support for Airplay is coming so once that is out you should in theory be able to listen to any audio.

Not sure about Android and how it works over there 

Are you happy enough with the sound quality? I'm not expecting miracles for that money, but it's got to better than a phone and a cheap Bluetooth speaker right? 

6 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Are you happy enough with the sound quality? I'm not expecting miracles for that money, but it's got to better than a phone and a cheap Bluetooth speaker right? 

Sounds great to me, no complaints at all, loads of welly in them, don’t even get to go quarter volume as the neighbours throw a wobbler

Wow. Had basically decided to go and get a couple of these tomorrow, and then I had a look at the Sonos app!

I presume they are talking only about the android version, but if you can, take a look at Google play store, and the reviews of the app. 

Is it necessary to use the app, or can I just play Spotify or Google play music direct to the speaker?? 

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

Wow. Had basically decided to go and get a couple of these tomorrow, and then I had a look at the Sonos app!

I presume they are talking only about the android version, but if you can, take a look at Google play store, and the reviews of the app. 

Is it necessary to use the app, or can I just play Spotify or Google play music direct to the speaker?? 

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4137/~/controlling-sonos-from-the-spotify-app

Archived