Cardiff V Derby County

peachmyster

9 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Isn't football great? After the game on Tuesday I was thoroughly pee'd off with the club. 

Now, a few days later, I'm thinking we might cause an upset and sneak a win, which will be the start of a march up the table  

It's the curse of the football fan, and why we keep on going. There's always hope. 

a bit like golf, loads of crap shots but it is the only one of the day that is half decent that makes you come back again in the hope that next time all the shots will be miraculously great!  its like everything before has been a fluke and normality will return even though nothing has changed

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cardiff don't play a possession based game. That should suit us. We have the physicality in our side to match them, but whether we have the fitness I'm not so sure. But yeah, this is a game where with the players at GR's disposal I'd expect us to look and fare better. My concern being a lack of pace as always. 

I fancy another draw but we really need more if we are to get our season going.

Carson; Wisdom, Keogh, Shackell, Forsyth; Thorne, Johnson; Russell, Lawrence, Weimann; Martin.

16 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Cardiff don't play a possession based game. That should suit us. We have the physicality in our side to match them, but whether we have the fitness I'm not so sure. But yeah, this is a game where with the players at GR's disposal I'd expect us to look and fare better. My concern being a lack of pace as always. 

I fancy another draw but we really need more if we are to get our season going.

Carson; Wisdom, Keogh, Shackell, Forsyth; Thorne, Johnson; Russell, Lawrence, Weimann; Martin.

Your first and second paragraphs I fully agree with, but not your team selection. Davies had probably his best game in a Rams shirt at Brentford and you want to drop him for Shackell???? Similarly you want to leave out our top scorer???? Am I missing something, are they injured or what?

Carson

wisdom      Davies     Keogh     foz 

ledley      thorne     Huddlestone 

vydra     Lawrence 

martin  

Having seen Cardiff play earlier in the season I'm not looking forward to this. Their wingers (Mendez-Laing and Hoilett) like to cut inside from the wing, which is right into our weakest area of the pitch.

Bamba and Morrison are a big, bruising pair at centre back who will happily take a lump out of a striker if they're getting the better of them.

Our only saving hope is that I don't really rate Lee Peltier, their right back. Get Lawrence up against him and we could make something happen.

14 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Isn't football great? After the game on Tuesday I was thoroughly pee'd off with the club. 

Now, a few days later, I'm thinking we might cause an upset and sneak a win, which will be the start of a march up the table  

It's the curse of the football fan, and why we keep on going. There's always hope. 

Exactly! Unbeaten in two and raring to go again.

Thorne, Shackell, Anya and Guy are playing in the U23s today so not in contention. It seems as though Russell is not being considered right now.

I get the idea of playing Johnson further forward but it seems madness to me to give him the number 10 berth when that's actually the position we have a gazillion great options, none of which is him. Play him on the left-hand side. My forward four would be:

Lawrence     Martin/Winnall     Johnson

Winnall/Martin

with Martin and Winnall interchanging all the time making them much harder to mark. Either/both could be replaced with Vydra/Nugent and that would be equally good. Let's get that away win and kick start the campaign. COYR!

Thorne Anya and Shackell all playing U23s today, right? So surely they're not in the mix for Cardiff. Fozzy didn't do himself any favours with the hoofing clearances at Brent (but if Rowett wants fozzy as his long term LB he needs to keep playing him - Fozzy is vulnerable to being replaced by Baird or Olsson), and Rowett will stick with Winnall who has assisted and scored in both the last games. I think the johnson experiment failed which is where the one main change will come and he will either move him to left wing or reinstate Johnny there. Nugent or top scorer Vydra will battle for the 10 role. Think it's Vydras given GRs take on cardiffs less fluent playing style. So ... prediction is:

Carson 

wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth

Huddlestone Ledley 

Lawrence Vydra Johnson 

winnall 

Think that’s pretty close  - I reckon Bird might be a traveller after being left out of the Under 23s - otherwise subs from Nugent, Martin, Pearce, Mitchell, Baird, Russell, Weimann ? (Bennett and Hanson injured, Lowe not ready)

If Russell not on bench then he’s in danger of being overtaken by Luke Thomas in the pecking order. 

Shackell Anya Thorne played today game which is they're not in the squad for tomorrow game. 

So for tomorrow team imo 

Carson 

Wisdom Keogh Davies Olsson 

Huddlestone Ledley 

Lawrence Vydra Russell 

Martin or Winnall 

Lets hope we can battle our way to at least a point tomorrow. I seem to remember playing Cardiff in the Davies promotion season at a similar time of year when they were flying and we (at that stage) were struggling. I am sure we drew 2-2 after being behind twice in the game, perhaps a Giles Barnes equaliser even?

8 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

Lets hope we can battle our way to at least a point tomorrow. I seem to remember playing Cardiff in the Davies promotion season at a similar time of year when they were flying and we (at that stage) were struggling. I am sure we drew 2-2 after being behind twice in the game, perhaps a Giles Barnes equaliser even?

Yes. 

10 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

Well remembered I was there. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/6072746.stm

3 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

It was a struggle to remember it and looking at the BBC report I see Ledley played for Cardiff that day. They also had Loovens who is still around. I would love to know where Cardiff sat in the league that day as I am sure they were going really well.

Archived