Derby fans last couple of seasons

Tricky1884

15 minutes ago, David said:

As a fanbase we have to handle defeats better, understand they are part of the game like it or not, every defeat doesn't signal a new crisis, doesn't require us to fold the club and start scratch.

I like many can handle defeat and every now and again you may get a heavy defeat. However my current problem is the manner teams have dismantled us. The season is very young and already Wolves, Sheff Utd and Bristol have  beat us with ease. These games are now not one offs and they have happened within a very short space of time. I also didn't see any reaction from the team against Birmingham after the Bristol loss which is also a worry. 

Is it now wrong of me to start questioning the reasons for this whether it's to do with the Manager or players, I think not. Does it put me into the category as a moaning supporter, people can decide that.

One thing is clear,  that GR it seems has decided to start from scratch and yes it may well take time but he was all to aware of this when he took the job on, so he always new that bad results were always going to end with questions being asked. 

For the record, If I had my way Mac 1 would never have got sacked and we would never have had this terrible turnover of managers. But then again I'm not the owner just a spectator with an opinion. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the home games I attend I look at the supporters around me. They don't clap when the players come out, don't cheer their names, don't applaud a good pass or a good move. Watching football has become very passive 'sit back and entertain me'.

Now I know that's their right but I just don't get it. I know as some say that it's up to the players to get the fans excited but I would like to think that if we would encourage them a bit more we could help. 

19 minutes ago, Charlie G said:

Is it now wrong of me to start questioning the reasons for this whether it's to do with the Manager or players, I think not. Does it put me into the category as a moaning supporter, people can decide that.

Theres no rights and wrongs in how to be a football fan, I might rant at behaviour that bugs me but that's all it is, rants. I'm not here as a shining example of what a football fan should be, everyone follow me, would never think no less or more of a fan for questioning anything. 

There's very few (maybe none) on this site who want particular players to fail. And I reckon 100% of fans on here have wanted each of our many managers in the last 2 years to be successful. But when they - and the team - aren't successful then it's the purpose of this forum to discuss the reasons why.

This forum is a haven of sanity compared to social media and some idiots at games.  But every club has idiots at games and on Twitter - but some fan forums at other clubs are venomous to players and managers and this one isn't.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

If only Rowett had picked a different 11 or been able to get them to play differently. Yep, that's football.

Well that’s it, but unfortunately you’re not a football manager are you. I’ll bet if you were your team would be top of the league 

12 minutes ago, Bessie1 said:

There's very few (maybe none) on this site who want particular players to fail. And I reckon 100% of fans on here have wanted each of our many managers in the last 2 years to be successful. But when they - and the team - aren't successful then it's the purpose of this forum to discuss the reasons why.

This forum is a haven of sanity compared to social media and some idiots at games.  But every club has idiots at games and on Twitter - but some fan forums at other clubs are venomous to players and managers and this one isn't.

Im not sure i agree with this statement. It seems ver clear that some posters take delight in certain players making mistakes or not playing well.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Rowetts not much of one either, but at least I don't claim to be. That do you?

Mind is made up then?  

I'm not exactly inspired by what has been served up yet, but think it sensible to reserve judgment on GR'a ability until he has had at least one full season in charge.  Horrible as it may be, we are obviously in another period of transition. 

1 minute ago, LazloW said:

Mind is made up then?  

I'm not exactly inspired by what has been served up yet, but think it sensible to reserve judgment on GR'a ability until he has had at least one full season in charge.  Horrible as it may be, we are obviously in another period of transition. 

He's shown no sign of any real ability to get them to be 'hard to beat' or able to play exciting football or 'as a team' or anything bar bits and pieces. So give him another couple of transfer windows and even if he managed to get us winning do you think he knows how to put together a squad to play in the Prem? Other than by buying old Prem has beens that is.

He wouldn't be the first or last manager not to be as good as some thought.

11 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Im not sure i agree with this statement. It seems ver clear that some posters take delight in certain players making mistakes or not playing well.

(I think) I know who you mean - but honestly when I read their posts I see a view that's contrary to the majority on here but I don't see celebration when that player fails.  If we're talking Martin - I thought he was awful yesterday but his critics on here haven't been crowing about it.

For what it's worth I've said in this forum that Carson is an average (at best) Championship keeper; yet most on (and off) this forum voted him POTY. But I don't want him to fail - I want him to succeed and prove me wrong.

16 minutes ago, Bessie1 said:

(I think) I know who you mean - but honestly when I read their posts I see a view that's contrary to the majority on here but I don't see celebration when that player fails.  If we're talking Martin - I thought he was awful yesterday but his critics on here haven't been crowing about it.

For what it's worth I've said in this forum that Carson is an average (at best) Championship keeper; yet most on (and off) this forum voted him POTY. But I don't want him to fail - I want him to succeed and prove me wrong.

In fairness i think most of our players are at best average championship players, but i still support them.

Martin and other players yes...dont need to go into further details enough has been said elsewhere.

58 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's shown no sign of any real ability to get them to be 'hard to beat' or able to play exciting football or 'as a team' or anything bar bits and pieces. So give him another couple of transfer windows and even if he managed to get us winning do you think he knows how to put together a squad to play in the Prem? Other than by buying old Prem has beens that is.

He wouldn't be the first or last manager not to be as good as some thought.

He should be able to get the current squad at least playing to a system or some discernable style....

This transition talk is a load of bull....every team is in transition,no team has just started on day one with a completely fresh new team have they?

It's up to Gary to get this team,the one we currently have,playing as effectively as possible.....without excuses.....(not that I've heard Gary make any,it's his fans that keep doing that on his behalf)

5 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Don't apologise , respect your honesty and I can see where your coming from and if we are going backwards I don't think Rowetts the man to place the blame on. Really who else could you think who would do a better job with the budget , squad , fan base that we have etc etc ....

Nope, you've got me there, can't think of one stand out candidate currently out of work. I'm hoping for the best for the coming month, could be a tricky October, fingers crossed he can pull a rabbit out of the hat as it were.

50 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Nope, you've got me there, can't think of one stand out candidate currently out of work. I'm hoping for the best for the coming month, could be a tricky October, fingers crossed he can pull a rabbit out of the hat as it were.

Keep the faith , he will be just fine. 

1 hour ago, EastHertsRam said:

Experience taught me long ago to stop looking at forthcoming fixtures and attempting to classify them, as paper and reality are often 2 different animals. I remember many were looking at a 3 game run starting with Bristol and ending with Burton last year as something that would send us surging up the table.

13 hours ago, Tricky1884 said:

I don't start topics often. But what's up with some Derby fans. All I read is moan, moan, moan, "Derby are rubbish" etc. Any chance to stick the knife in some will. Yeah we haven't set the league alight so far but get over It! It's not gone to plan since the playoffs but slagging off the club any chance you can does nothing. These aren't dark days. We haven't got our goal keeping coach in goals.

Well said that man, a great post, let's support our team like we did in the dartk days of the early 80s were we nearly went bust in 1984. When the going gets tough the tough gets going, remember going away in the late 80s and we always stayed behind our team, not like today, in fact antill we all stand together supporting our team, I will not be following Derby away, fed up of the negative attitude.

8 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Well said that man, a great post, let's support our team like we did in the dartk days of the early 80s were we nearly went bust in 1984. When the going gets tough the tough gets going, remember going away in the late 80s and we always stayed behind our team, not like today, in fact antill we all stand together supporting our team, I will not be following Derby away, fed up of the negative attitude.

How contradictory is that.. Get behind your team like we did in the 80s.. There was plenty of moaning in the 80s as well..

Then you won't be following Derby away!! Bar a few big games away when we take a fair few, moaning at away games is not such an issue.

I made the mistake of opening twitter as I have a lazy morning with no work. Michael Johnson making a comment about fan interaction. Some are like playground bullies, running off at the mouth and making themselves look stupid. If you have that much anger and fight in you go and find a charity to back up and use it constructively. As Johnno says ‘look st the world and smile’ 

23 hours ago, Tricky1884 said:

I get your point it's always happened. The teams not perfect and I don't think anyone's happy with it I'm not. But hates just become a reflex reaction when we don't win it makes it pointless. Its not thought out or well written. It's more the personal stuff flung at Rowett, Mel and Keogh I don't like.  I just think it goes over the top. One day we'll get a "well that was w**k" after a 3-0 win. 

Aha! Well I have us down for a 3-0 on Tuesday to begin my march up Mozzas league. 

Better brush up on my insults to the team :thumbsup:

Archived