Pearce, Bennett, Guy & Bird New Contracts

David

18 hours ago, rammieib said:

Sorry did you just say Morris has credibility? Wow.

Where would you say that he lacks credibility? I am really curious to know how you reach that conclusion.

What I see is a guy who has invested heavily in a football club and shown that if someone is found to have not displayed the right level of credibility, then they are gone from the club. I also see a guy that has consistently donated large sums of money to local charities and as far as I am aware run his other companies with the same moral credibility.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Where would you say that he lacks credibility? I am really curious to know how you reach that conclusion.

What I see is a guy who has invested heavily in a football club and shown that if someone is found to have not displayed the right level of credibility, then they are gone from the club. I also see a guy that has consistently donated large sums of money to local charities and as far as I am aware run his other companies with the same moral credibility.

It depends on the definition of Credibility. Is he a creditable business man - As far as I am aware, yes he is.

Does he hold credibility in terms of his abilities to own/run a football club? In my eyes no - my reasoning being 1) Sacking of managers, 2) Stupid public comments such as Derby Way and 3) Entering the changing room which he has apologised for. These are aspects for which he loses credibility in my eyes.

So I'm applying different criteria to answering the question.

2 hours ago, hkrammm said:

Does Tony Xia of Aston Villa have credibility running a football club? If yes, how? If not, why not? 

I have no idea, I know nothing about him. Seems like a weird question to ask unless I am missing the point somewhere.:huh:

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

It depends on the definition of Credibility. Is he a creditable business man - As far as I am aware, yes he is.

Does he hold credibility in terms of his abilities to own/run a football club? In my eyes no - my reasoning being 1) Sacking of managers, 2) Stupid public comments such as Derby Way and 3) Entering the changing room which he has apologised for. These are aspects for which he loses credibility in my eyes.

So I'm applying different criteria to answering the question.

And a different criteria to the word it seems, I assume then you mean capable. Do you know the exact reasons why the managers were dismissed? Maybe you could consider that. I don't find his 'Derby way' comments at all stupid. It is a shame that it hasn't been achieved, It was a mistake for him to go into the changing room, but who hasn't made a mistake when running an organisation?

On 20.9.2017 at 14:35, AndyinLiverpool said:

Surprised Pearce would want one. His default setting since he arrived has been 'not getting a game'

Peter Daniel didn't get a game either until Roy McFarland injured himself at the beginning of the 1974-75 season. He went on to become an ever present and Derby won the title.

I'm not suggesting Pearce will do that ,but it might be good to have him around for when one of the others gets injured.

It is true that Pearce had a drop in form but as far as I am concerned he is an excellent 1st reserve at CB. 

He was a forgotten man but stepped up in the dark days of NP. I like him a lot, doesn't sulk. A team player and one who respects the fans.

Mason Bennet needs, like the team, to show some consistency rather than a few bright sparks and Guy is good news for the future. 

Very happy to see re signings / youth stepping up, rather than daft transfer fees for the over hyped or unproven.

22 hours ago, bcnram said:

And a different criteria to the word it seems, I assume then you mean capable. Do you know the exact reasons why the managers were dismissed? Maybe you could consider that. I don't find his 'Derby way' comments at all stupid. It is a shame that it hasn't been achieved, It was a mistake for him to go into the changing room, but who hasn't made a mistake when running an organisation?

I go with the reasons he gave in public - if he is lying to the public, he loses credibility so we have to assume he tells the truth.

Eiher way though, (and I was there at the breakfast club session one week after Clement was sacked) to dispose of so many managers in such a short space of time is not befitting of a credible owner.

Anyway we have different opinions, beauty of a forum and we're free to express them. I hoped Morris would be good all round for us, sadly on football decisions only (managers, transfers) he's been awful as shown by the largely accepted 6-10th place expected finish and the reduced crowds.

On 20 September 2017 at 13:49, Gritters said:

Surprised about Bennett he hasn't broken through and from what I've seen he isn't likely to either.

Definitely inclined to agree. At 15 he was physically precocious and that gave him the edge over his peers but now he's surrounded by grown men he looks quite Uni-dimensional and has flat-lined. I don't see him doing anything but bench-warming. Everyone has said "time to kick-on" but he's playing at the top of his game as it is. 

Wondering what people think Bennett needs to do.... can I see him being an ince or Lawrence? not a chance.... Weimann and Russell? I don't think he's particularly far off.

It depends how rowett wants us to play... if we want a tireless winger/inside forward and a talismanic game changing winger I think Bennett fits the role quite well for one side with the added side note he's a young academy product.

Not sure physically Bennett comes up short compared to Russell or weimann and when it comes to technical skills or intelligence on the pitch neither weimann or Russell have showered themselves with glory (in my opionion weimann has done more than Russell in this aspect, many derby fans will say vice versa).

Contentious opinion but I am not sure other than a bigger name to put on the team sheet we would be lost to lose weimann and Russell and be 'stuck' with Bennett.

I do think there is a limit to how many names can go on the team sheet/squad just because they work hard... we need enough players with the quality to make a difference in games also

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

Either way though, (and I was there at the breakfast club session one week after Clement was sacked) to dispose of so many managers in such a short space of time is not befitting of a credible owner.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Shouldn't have appointed them to begin with.

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Shouldn't have appointed them to begin with.

I remember @Alpha posting a good reply about this once - Every manager that's been appointed after each sacking of the previous one are hard to doubt. (Only Rowett concerned me but I think at least half of fans were OK with it which is a pretty good consensus). So ignoring the sackings, the appointments are pretty good.

So plenty of good intentions but MM isn't a medium/long term person. If MM agrees the club needed to balance the books this season after previous failures, it'll be interesting if he gives GR more time.

51 minutes ago, rammieib said:

So plenty of good intentions but MM isn't a medium/long term person. If MM agrees the club needed to balance the books this season after previous failures, it'll be interesting if he gives GR more time.

Good intentions, who can doubt that. Perhaps more consideration into what they were getting and how to choose the right man? That was the point to be wondered after Mel trumpeting the Derby Way and then choosing Pearson and now Rowett. Seems a touch inconsistent.

15 hours ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Wondering what people think Bennett needs to do.... can I see him being an ince or Lawrence? not a chance.... Weimann and Russell? I don't think he's particularly far off.

It depends how rowett wants us to play... if we want a tireless winger/inside forward and a talismanic game changing winger I think Bennett fits the role quite well for one side with the added side note he's a young academy product.

Not sure physically Bennett comes up short compared to Russell or weimann and when it comes to technical skills or intelligence on the pitch neither weimann or Russell have showered themselves with glory (in my opionion weimann has done more than Russell in this aspect, many derby fans will say vice versa).

Contentious opinion but I am not sure other than a bigger name to put on the team sheet we would be lost to lose weimann and Russell and be 'stuck' with Bennett.

I do think there is a limit to how many names can go on the team sheet/squad just because they work hard... we need enough players with the quality to make a difference in games also

Agree with a lot of this - but Bennett having the potential to be a talismanic game changing winger?  I don't think so.  He looked great against Chelsea a few seasons ago - not seen that kind of performance since (or before); he didn't do particularly well out on loan either.  At Monday's U23 game, I doubt a neutral fan would've picked out Bennett as the youngster in the first team squad.  I hope he does well - I really do - but the data so far doesn't look promising.

8 hours ago, Bessie1 said:

Agree with a lot of this - but Bennett having the potential to be a talismanic game changing winger?  I don't think so.  He looked great against Chelsea a few seasons ago - not seen that kind of performance since (or before); he didn't do particularly well out on loan either.  At Monday's U23 game, I doubt a neutral fan would've picked out Bennett as the youngster in the first team squad.  I hope he does well - I really do - but the data so far doesn't look promising.

Not a talismanic winger... I believe Lawrence will be this one...

Archived