Pearce, Bennett, Guy & Bird New Contracts

Day

1 hour ago, BobbyD said:

I'm beginning to find the instantaneous negativity from some posters at pretty well any news coming out of the club on here is really starting to grate.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion (blah, blah, blah) and yet these contract renewals seem eminently sensible to me, as has been very well pointed out by many other posters especially @David. You would have thought that people would be happy to see four young men achieve some success in their chosen career. If you are going to criticise then at least be positive about it and make a reasoned argument. 

I have never made my living in the world of professional football,and , despite being a fan since the late 60s, I have absolutely no idea how it 'works' and what goes on behind the scenes. So I am more than happy to trust the people running my club to make the right decisions more often than not, so long as they have proper credibility. As ours do. 

I just don't get the constant questioning of every decision made by the club and the downright nasty, cutting and character-assassination comments about certain club players who they have never met in their lives. Whats wrong with wishing them the best and hoping that they fulfil their potential ?

Football Manager generation. Everyone's an expert.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Shackell, bent, forsyth and Thorne are the last remaining players that contracts are up in the summer. Only two of them can I see getting a new contract maybe. Obviously Thorne and Forsyth and only if they can get fit and start playing 

What about Baird 

1 hour ago, BobbyD said:

I'm beginning to find the instantaneous negativity from some posters at pretty well any news coming out of the club on here is really starting to grate.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion (blah, blah, blah) and yet these contract renewals seem eminently sensible to me, as has been very well pointed out by many other posters especially @David. You would have thought that people would be happy to see four young men achieve some success in their chosen career. If you are going to criticise then at least be positive about it and make a reasoned argument. 

I have never made my living in the world of professional football,and , despite being a fan since the late 60s, I have absolutely no idea how it 'works' and what goes on behind the scenes. So I am more than happy to trust the people running my club to make the right decisions more often than not, so long as they have proper credibility. As ours do. 

I just don't get the constant questioning of every decision made by the club and the downright nasty, cutting and character-assassination comments about certain club players who they have never met in their lives. Whats wrong with wishing them the best and hoping that they fulfil their potential ?

When a potential free season ticket offer for the Premier League  was met mainly with cynicism I think that should tell you all you need to know about the mindset of a number of people that post on the forum.

A reasonable deal for these players and I agree with the reasoned arguments FOR giving Pearce an extra year. Seems like shackell won't be here and probably Baird and Bent.

will be interesting to see what happens with Russell and I guess they are waiting on how Thorne and Fozzy do over the next month or 2 to see if they are back to there high standards.

23 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Pearce captained Reading to win this division and captained them in the Premier league, 29 years old as opposed to a 33 injury prone shacks? And people question the contract extension??

It seems any decision Rowett makes at the moment gets criticism.  

Might it be based on who is the better centre half, rather than age or past history? Edit - and who is ambitious enough to not mind sitting on our bench.

3 hours ago, BobbyD said:

Sorry did you just say Morris has credibility? Wow.

I am happy for Bennett , feel like he is bashing a lost cause at the moment , watching players who have had plenty of chances keeping getting ahead of him, would like to see him in place of Weimann and  Russell and given a chance for a continuous run of games

I'd imagine that Pearce contract extension is we could get some fees should we sell him in January/or in the summer 2018. 

Bird and Guy deserved it so hopefully we will be able to see more of them to play in the first team. 

Bennett Meh.

5 minutes ago, hkrammm said:

You do not need to be an ex-footballer to form an opinion about football, just as you don't need to be an ex-politician to form a political opinion, or an ex-music-player to form an opinion about a band etc. 

For example, do you need to have experience running a football club, or specifically to solicit sponsorship for a football club, to know that the iPro's deal is fishy? As a few posters have pointed out, a simple company search would have informed the officials that it's a shell cooperation, an organization without any financial means to carry out the deal. 

Ray Houghton's an ex-player turned pundit and he doesn't even know the offside rule!

Archived