Pearce, Bennett, Guy & Bird New Contracts

David

I would have thought Pearce was the perfect person to offer a contract to. A good player, should be knocking on the door of the Keogh and Davies partnership, if he left we would have to find another backup and to get one better than Pearce would cost. And if Shackell is leaving, as it seems given he hasn't been offered a new deal, we would be very light on cover should Pearce leave as well. We've already made that mistake in the midfield, don't want to repeat it in defence. 

Equally if we decide to sell, he will now be worth more.

Football isn't just about the starting 11.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

Get rid of Pearce and use Rawson as 3rd choice CB surely?

Has Bennett actually done anything to deserve a new contact? 

Too easy to get a contract at Derby these days. They're both laughing.

Would that be the Rawson who is on a season long loan and can't be recalled?

You're looking at £2m+ for a player that is as good as Pearce nowadays. He is an average championship defender for me, but even average costs a lot now, Shotton went for £3m and isn't close to the starting lineup for boro, purely a backup. Relatively small wages, good character as GR said, a decent backup and if he can get back to the sort of form we saw October/November last year, could still be a good player for us. Makes sense for me. Happy for both Guy and Bird, hopefully they can kick on and be in the matchday squads in the future

Rowett needs to build a squad which has loyalty to him. Probably the peripheral players who are still on the squad fringes would be likely to show more trust and work for Rowett then some of the more seasoned Pro's who've worked their way through a bunch of different managers. Bennett and Guy as with the likes of Zanzala all need game time and they'll have a chance to make it in the game.

Pearce for an extra year is quite sensible. 

Transfer fees/wages have gone mental these past couple of seasons, finding a quality centre back that would be happy to sit on our bench and doesn't demand mega money would be a difficult task, so many clubs ready to blow you out the water.

He's backup, a bum on a seat that is experienced. Yes his form went off a cliff but he wasn't all bad, there was a time he was applauded quite regularly before that on this forum. Short memories?

It's one less position to worry about when it comes to strengthening the squad next summer, allows us to focus on what is our weakness, midfield.

If we go up, his wages will be a drop in the ocean and we can still sell him, no contract guarantees a player stays for the duration.

Bennett, Guy, Bird, obvious new contracts. Protect your assets.

Worth remembering Bennett is still only 21, long way to go before writing a player off at that age. 

17 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I would have thought Pearce was the perfect person to offer a contract to. A good player, should be knocking on the door of the Keogh and Davies partnership, if he left we would have to find another backup and to get one better than Pearce would cost. And if Shackell is leaving, as it seems given he hasn't been offered a new deal, we would be very light on cover should Pearce leave as well. We've already made that mistake in the midfield, don't want to repeat it in defence. 

Equally if we decide to sell, he will now be worth more.

Football isn't just about the starting 11.

Totally agree.

He seems like a good lad to have about the place (a la Bucko). Happy to compete for a starting place without sulking about not starting.

Engage brains people.

41 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

You're looking at £2m+ for a player that is as good as Pearce nowadays. He is an average championship defender for me, but even average costs a lot now, Shotton went for £3m and isn't close to the starting lineup for boro, purely a backup. Relatively small wages, good character as GR said, a decent backup and if he can get back to the sort of form we saw October/November last year, could still be a good player for us. Makes sense for me. Happy for both Guy and Bird, hopefully they can kick on and be in the matchday squads in the future

Shotton for £3 million? I didn't now that was the fee. Bloody hell.

2 hours ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Totally agree.

He seems like a good lad to have about the place (a la Bucko). Happy to compete for a starting place without sulking about not starting.

Engage brains people.

Couldn't agree more never seems sulk just comes in the team and gets on with it Only last November he was tipped for player of the year on this site As for Bennett not really sure he will ever make I know he's only 21 and had injuries but is he any better than when he was 16 I'm not convinced he is 

These all make sense, Bennett is starting to make some progress lately and the other two the club likes and with Pearce you need centre back cover which is experienced and he is with two championship promotions under his captaincy and if we were to buy similar it would cost far to much

20 minutes ago, Key clubber said:

Can only assume Shackell isn't going to be given a new deal, hence why Pearce has . 

Disappointed, don't think I'd seen a poorer performance from a centre back than when he played at Birmingham end of last season. This was until Keogh downed tools last weekend .

FFS, you can't resist dragging Keogh through the mire can you?

All makes sense to me. Pearce is decent and not long since he was a favourite in this forum or his record breaking partnership with Keogh.

Bennett has to keep knocking on the door, would do his confidence all kinds of good with an extended run in the side but maybe he has to do more in cameos to earn it first. Tough gig but he still has the potential.

12 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Shackell, bent, forsyth and Thorne are the last remaining players that contracts are up in the summer. Only two of them can I see getting a new contract maybe. Obviously Thorne and Forsyth and only if they can get fit and start playing 

Johnny Russell? 

I'm beginning to find the instantaneous negativity from some posters at pretty well any news coming out of the club on here is really starting to grate.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion (blah, blah, blah) and yet these contract renewals seem eminently sensible to me, as has been very well pointed out by many other posters especially @David. You would have thought that people would be happy to see four young men achieve some success in their chosen career. If you are going to criticise then at least be positive about it and make a reasoned argument. 

I have never made my living in the world of professional football,and , despite being a fan since the late 60s, I have absolutely no idea how it 'works' and what goes on behind the scenes. So I am more than happy to trust the people running my club to make the right decisions more often than not, so long as they have proper credibility. As ours do. 

I just don't get the constant questioning of every decision made by the club and the downright nasty, cutting and character-assassination comments about certain club players who they have never met in their lives. Whats wrong with wishing them the best and hoping that they fulfil their potential ?

Archived