Rowett didn't bounce.

vonwright

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Igorwasking said:

Not sure if that is true anymore anyway. Will 100m be enough anymore with player prices? If a half decent prem player costs £20m - that 5 you can get if you spend the lot. Depressing thought I know - over seas scouting is going to become even more important if we ever get up ?

But to balance it players are more likely to want to play for us as a 'rebound club' than as championship mid-table perennials!

I think that what did for Clement was the expectation of the fans that we needed champagne football as the 13/14 season was still fresh in the mind. Effective winning football was not on the agenda at the time and that was a lot of grumbles about style of play even when we were winning. I think this got to Mel and when we got a few poor results the trigger got pulled and the whole Derby Way spin was created which was probably half truth and half excuse for the trigger happy approach. I don't feel there's much difference between  Rowett and Clements style but Clement probably had a better squad.

2 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

His entire game plan was based around individual players winning games for us - so the back 7 control the game, then Ince/Martin/Butterfield/whoever scores a scores a screamer and we win.  That might work when you have Ronaldo and Bale, or Robben and Lewandowski up front, but it's never going to be sustainable at this level - there just isn't a big enough quality gap between the best forwards (we can afford) in this league and the average defenders.

Teams then start to realise that can just focus on taking the key players out of the game (double up on Ince, close Butterfield down, stop the supply into martin's feet etc), and the low numbers of goals we were scoring means that any mistakes at the back end up costing us games which piles pressure on the defence.

A good run of form, confidence and luck carried us for a couple of months. But it was never going to last IMO.

I think the capitulation itself was more down to teams realising that shutting out right-hand side down nullified us as Shacks, Warnock, BJ and Russell didn't have either the legs or ability to move the ball through the thirds effectively.

You're right though, few of our goals were from good play. It was usually a set-piece or a Martin or Butters screamer. 

2 hours ago, Moist One said:

so basically, McClaren was pretty damn good? shame he didn't get a transfer window.

Not quite true. He had 2 Jan transfer windows but no summer one. Would have been nice to get one this summer. He would have been re-united with Martin. 

My view was that Mel only did the deed at that time because Rowett was available and other teams were constantly sniffing after him so moved fast to get him here thinking he would move us on as a club and do what Pearson couldn't. 

1 hour ago, Orphanram said:

I think that what did for Clement was the expectation of the fans that we needed champagne football as the 13/14 season was still fresh in the mind. Effective winning football was not on the agenda at the time and that was a lot of grumbles about style of play even when we were winning. I think this got to Mel and when we got a few poor results the trigger got pulled and the whole Derby Way spin was created which was probably half truth and half excuse for the trigger happy approach. I don't feel there's much difference between  Rowett and Clements style but Clement probably had a better squad.

Think your spot on,this forum was full of slating PC at the time as performances weren't great dispite winning,loosing at Leeds didn't help as we were dier and they weren't exactly a good team at the time.

On 31/08/2017 at 21:27, Anag Ram said:

The fact that so few of our players have been the subject of transfer interest in the window is perhaps indicative of the view of Derby County.

Rowett's job will be to instil a solid team spirit.

Let's not forget that simply buying lots of expensive players doesn't make you a good team. Aston Villa found that last year.

On 07/09/2017 at 18:28, McLovin said:

Your loss! I've learned to support more than one team now and that way you can't be disappointed. For example, it's times like these that make me happy to also support other teams like, Notts Forest, Liverpool and Real Madrid. If one of my teams does poorly then there is a chance that one of my other teams are doing well.

1 hour ago, Orphanram said:

Thought PC was released for non related football issues though ?

hi all

What the graph proves is what we already knew about GR - that he would bring greater consistency but less flair, although the last two results have turned that assumption upside down at the moment, that we'd be (usually) harder to beat but also less easy on the eye, and that we'd become more like Huddersfield and less like Leicester.

1.5 points per game will give us 69 in May i.e. just below the playoffs as per usual, and where Brum were when they sacked him.

I don't care about a 'bounce' but I would like GR to sort out the complacency that cost us 3 points the other day.

I sometimes wonder what happens to some players, or what being here does to them.  Christie on TV the other day sending a pinpoint cross into the box for Boro, so why didn't he do that for us?  Ince playing well for Hudd, why was he so hit and miss with us?  Hendrick holding down a place in a PL side when with us he was a bit part player.  Is it the managerial changes that have seemingly made us unable to get the best out of these guys?  If it's not that then what is it?

Having said all that, the Hull game was very special, best display for a few years, all we need now is to produce that quality most weeks and maybe things will happen.

COYR!

LR2

Archived