Rowett didn't bounce.

vonwright

PPGx.jpg

Graph of our points-per-game, by month, since the start of 2014-15. Some observations:

1) Rowett didn't bring a new manager "bounce" like McClaren, Clement, and McClaren II. All of those had great months in the second or third months after they arrived.

2) What the hell happened with Clement? 

3) When we tank, we REALLY tank. McClaren in March 2014, Clement in January 2016, Wassall in May 2016. McClaren II in February 2017... Usually at pretty crucial times, too.

4) Nigel Pearson wasn't here long enough for his full name to fit on the graph.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Just had a bad month. Random fluctuations in form are to be expected in football, maybe it was nothing more than that  Still, it was dour uninspiring football under Clement and at the time that's why i thought Mel got rid of him. 

But he followed that with the appointments of Pearson and Rowett, so that theory doesn't make sense anymore.

20 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Just had a bad month. Random fluctuations in form are to be expected in football, maybe it was nothing more than that  Still, it was dour uninspiring football under Clement and at the time that's why i thought Mel got rid of him. 

But he followed that with the appointments of Pearson and Rowett, so that theory doesn't make sense anymore.

Was thinking about this the other day, very odd appointments after the "Derby Way" comments.

25 minutes ago, vonwright said:

His entire game plan was based around individual players winning games for us - so the back 7 control the game, then Ince/Martin/Butterfield/whoever scores a scores a screamer and we win.  That might work when you have Ronaldo and Bale, or Robben and Lewandowski up front, but it's never going to be sustainable at this level - there just isn't a big enough quality gap between the best forwards (we can afford) in this league and the average defenders.

Teams then start to realise that can just focus on taking the key players out of the game (double up on Ince, close Butterfield down, stop the supply into martin's feet etc), and the low numbers of goals we were scoring means that any mistakes at the back end up costing us games which piles pressure on the defence.

A good run of form, confidence and luck carried us for a couple of months. But it was never going to last IMO.

Without re-hashing the rumours (and getting myself/the site/David into trouble), it was suggested that off-field activities may have impacted Clement's ability to do the job which may explain the huge dip just before he left.

As for Rowett, he inherited a squad that would potentially been getting a negative return (had it been possible) under Mac - we were SO bad at the time....so he did get a new manger 'bounce', just not as big as some others...

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Every now and then I think to myself that Mel wants promotion more than 'the Derby Way' and will try owt to get up!

With the ultimate irony being that 'The Derby Way' was supposed to be about creating a sustainable structure that could get us up and then keep us up. 'owt to get up' is a recipe for Billy Davies-style up and then straight back down.

38 minutes ago, Highgate said:

it was dour uninspiring football under Clement and at the time that's why i thought Mel got rid of him. 

I thought it was because he hid the brand new gym equipment :lol: 

Come to think about it,  i saw a bloke just like him, name was Saul Pennant, flogging some treadmills down donno market around that time

54 minutes ago, vonwright said:

PPGx.jpg

Graph of our points-per-game, by month, since the start of 2014-15. Some observations:

1) Rowett didn't bring a new manager "bounce" like McClaren, Clement, and McClaren II. All of those had great months in the second or third months after they arrived.

3) When we tank, we REALLY tank. McClaren in March 2014, Clement in January 2016, Wassall in May 2016. McClaren II in February 2017... Usually at pretty crucial times, too.

4) Nigel Pearson wasn't here long enough for his full name to fit on the graph.

Great graph. But the "dip" looks pretty much to me like a "seasonal" effect given that it strikes around about Jan/February.

Statistically, I would ask how does it compare with other teams who were in a similar position just before the  "dip"? Is there a "fatigue" effect happening here? Or is it about key injuries hitting after a period of "intensive" fixtures? 

ie We can't just assume there's a bounce effect and a subsequent dip as a result of managerial change...there are many factors at play here and as the Psychologist Royce notes, "any psychologist worth his salt knows that any behavioural phenomenon is mulitiply-determined"...:mellow:

Archived