The decline of Radio Derby (?)

LazloW

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, curtains said:

Let's blame RD rather than Rowett and the team for Sheffield and Bristol debacles. 

Do you purposefully miss the point of posts to cause arguments, or is that you just don't read them?  

Neither my original post or the one I quoted say anything about blaming RD for poor performances.  We are talking about styles of commentary.  As I expected one or two usual suspects might try to try and link the two, I secifically stated that I wasn't suggesting any causal link.  I probably should have waited to express my opinion on RD until after  we won a game to ensure this kind of misunderstanding didn't happen.

Yesterday was one of the worst commentaries i've heard in a long while and i find ed dawes hard work at the best of times.

Has there ever been a commentary where he didn't peevishly moan about the referee's decisions?

I agree with most of the opening post. But not the Ramage stuff. I don't recall Craig ever imploring derby to kick it long? I do remember when we played hull in a previous season that he identified huddlestone and livermore as too pedestrian and predicted that we could play through them. Which we did. 

The only thing that made yesterday bearable was craigs inadvertant gaffs.

Trying to say "bristol city should..." produced " bristol shiity" and "kicking towards the kop" had a predictable outcome.

Snidey Ed of course has to keeping digging, reminding Craig of his errors.

Dawes and Ramage are eyes and ears of Derby fans at away games and told the absolute truth yesterday regarding the lack of hard work in general and the turning cycle of Huddlestone.   If you want a more airbrushed approach buy the club content.   The only problem I have with their work is the idea that they are paid for it.   I would have gladly told you for free how poor Derby were yesterday from 20 minutes onwards.   I think the attitude of Dawes and Ramage reflects that of many fans - the realisation that the team is not good enough, despite the fees and salaries paid.   Whether Rowett can solve it remains to be seen, but on the evidence of all the games I've seen so far this season recruitment is still a big issue.   I thought, like many fans, that Huddlestone and Davies would improve us.   So far that is not the case, as they are both ponderously slow.   Huddlestone in particular reminded me of myself, still trying to play 5 a side at 50 and wondering why I bother as I try to kick another 25 year old running by me at three times my pace.   It's early days, so there is still time to improve matters, but everyone, Rowett and Morris included, must now see the huge size of the job.

Hindsight is a wonderful gift, but I'm struggling to see how we are any better than the team in Clough's last full season

1 hour ago, LazloW said:

However, Ed Dawes in particular is starting to drive me insane with his editorial comments and personal opinions on the game and on players in particular.  Ramage is there to be the expert pundit and summariser; while he repeats himself constantly and seems to only want us to play one way (running around a lot, kicking people and hitting it long) at least he has played the game.

They think themselves a comedy double act, which they indeed are but not in the way they think! Getting particularly fed up with Ramage, he thinks he's the reason people are listening...

Personally,I still enjoy the commentary....yes,they get over excited but when we win they react well and when we lose in the manner we did yesterday,they get upset....so no different to us really.

At least there is a passion for the team and its performances...I don't always agree with them,especially Craig 'rammel' and his nonsense about running around a lot and legging everyone over but I do enjoy their enthusiasm.

8 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Do you purposefully miss the point of posts to cause arguments, or is that you just don't read them?  

Neither my original post or the one I quoted say anything about blaming RD for poor performances.  We are talking about styles of commentary.  As I expected one or two usual suspects to try and link the two, I secifically stated that I wasn't suggesting any causal link between the two.  I probably should have waited to express my opinion on RD until after  we won a game to ensure this kind of misunderstanding didn't happen.

I just wanted to get over that RD and Ed Dawes , Craig Ramage and Owen Bradley don't deserve stick because they work hard at reporting things to us Derby fans .

I often don't agree with them but they are passionate about Derby and their hearts in the right place. 

Blame Rowett and the players for me for Sheffield , Barnsley and Bristol. 

10 goals conceded. 

Praise them for Hull 5-0 

Lazio  Sorry you lost the argument for me when you said ( even if its true ) Must admit I never heard RD yesterday because I went to the match You would have to be a very good commentator to put anything positive about that display it was a diabolic shambles I'm not one of those who expects us to win every but I do expect 90 minutes of effort so whatever ever they said about the players they deserved the criticism ( not that it would bother them in the least )

I'm with you 100% on this subject @LazloW all I want is a reasoned assessment of the game and impartiality. As it is now with Dawes & Ramage it's like I'm hearing commentary from a couple of the moany old cretins that sit a few rows back from me at Pride Park.

Fortunately the straw that broke the camels back for me was the Sheff Utd game, so yesterday I had gibbo, johnno  & shinner on ramstv from 14.15-14.55, soccer saturday on during the game where a very pretty young lady kept me up to date with the latest from the game & will be watching the match replay later.

I felt a lot more relaxed about the whole shebang.

We played a game, we lost, oh well there's another game next week hopefully we'll win that.

Radio Derby "opinion"? No, thank you.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I have said this before but I think Owen Bradley is much better when he gets the chance. Level headed and objective with a much better attention to the detail of the game in front of him.

Agreed.

I get the feeling OB is set for bigger things than Radio Derby in the future.

5 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

I'm with you 100% on this subject @LazloW all I want is a reasoned assessment of the game and impartiality. As it is now with Dawes & Ramage it's like I'm hearing commentary from a couple of the moany old cretins that sit a few rows back from me at Pride Park.

Fortunately the straw that broke the camels back for me was the Sheff Utd game, so yesterday I had gibbo, johnno  & shinner on ramstv from 14.15-14.55, soccer saturday on during the game where a very pretty young lady kept me up to date with the latest from the game & will be watching the match replay later.

I felt a lot more relaxed about the whole shebang.

We played a game, we lost, oh well there's another game next week hopefully we'll win that.

Radio Derby "opinion"? No, thank you.

Just don't criticise Keogh or you're going to get the wrath of the Derby fans.  Ok to criticise Shackell and Pearce and Davies though. 

9 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Lazio  Sorry you lost the argument for me when you said ( even if its true ) Must admit I never heard RD yesterday because I went to the match You would have to be a very good commentator to put anything positive about that display it was a diabolic shambles I'm not one of those who expects us to win every but I do expect 90 minutes of effort so whatever ever they said about the players they deserved the criticism ( not that it would bother them in the least )

Wasn't suggesting that yesterday wasn't a  bad performance. My comments are not based solely on yesterday's match but a more general view that the standard of commentary has declined.  Again, I'm not expecting anybody to say we are playing brilliantly when we are playing poorly.  I'm not expecting them to find positives when there aren't any.  I guess what I want is to hear calm, considered and balanced commentary without the histrionics, the shouting and the yawping.  

I agree that you can go too far the other way and have anodyne and sycophantic commentary that would be just as grating, but for other reasons.  I'm sure there is some middle ground.  FWIW I don't think this is just RD.  I'm finding a lot of TV and radio commentary intolerable lately.  Perhaps I'm just becoming an old grump.

48 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I had a feeling you in particular would have this opinion and would be making this exact point (particularly as I said I was a happy clapper).  As I was at pains to say, it isn't the message that we played poorly that grates, its the way this message is put across and the commentary style that I don't like.  I think you can tell people we are playing poorly without being shouty about it and without constantly repeating the same points over and over again.  You can accurately tell listeners that it is crap without the personal opinions, subjectivity and faux outrage at the team and individuals.  Most people are intelligent enough to be able to glean that we aren't playing well without it being rammed down my throat (geddit).

To be honest, they can be just as bad when we are playing well, whether it being over the top in praise or nitpicking about certain aspects of the game (I once heard ED complain that we hadn't won 6-0 instead of getting just the 4).  

They have 95 mins to fill. I want to hear their passion, their opinions. I might not agree with it at some points but they are not there to be sterile.. Who would listen if it was like a politically correct party broadcast? Football is about passion, it creates debate and opinions will differ. Maybe we need radio happy clapper that plays nice music in the background..

I get your point and I guess we are polar opposites :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

What did you expect of them from yesterday's performance? I'm sorry but if they are watching crap, what are they supposed to tell the listener? It's all right everyone, I'm sure we will be okay against Brum but this game is mildly annoying as we are hoofing it up the pitch. But never mind I am sure In a minute Gary will do some thing about it and we will win. If a team is failing as you say, they surely have to communicate that. 

Dont take this the wrong way but sometimes you happy clappers seem to think that if it's not spoken about it will just go away and a bad performance never happened. Well it doesn't go away and a crap performance is still a crap performance. They are not employees of DCFC they are there to report, warts and all. To be fair I have heard them be very positive when things are going well.

Great post. We have some pretty petty and boring fans and it's good you call them out. I'll also add that you were right about the wholesale changes being a bad move. I was wrong - to suggest this might be a different occasion (at Barnsley) as proven by the lacklustre show at Bristol 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I do not like Ed Dawes commentary and never have for exactly the reasons you outline above. Luckily these days I only rarely have to listen to a match as I am usually there instead!

I have said this before but I think Owen Bradley is much better when he gets the chance. Level headed and objective with a much better attention to the detail of the game in front of him.

My favourite commentator was Ross Fletcher back in a time that I  wasn't going to many matches. Painted the picture of what was happening on the pitch beautifully with his words. 

Bring back Ted McMinn is what I say ???????

Archived