What if McClaren had never been sacked ?

RiddingsRam

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, The Arch Deacon said:

What if Clement had never been sacked!

Either of them would have got us promoted in my opinion...Clement with considerably less panache than with mac but promoted none the less.

I'm not even discounting Darren wassell getting the job done if he had been allowed to stay on into the next season.

It was the change to Pearson that destroyed us and set us back so far.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

What does that make everybody who did worse than him?

As Derby fans we are so starved for a good manager that we rate this plum duff who did nothing but fail with us. His failures were so epic at key moments that he ruined our self belief. Did he get us promoted? Did he win anything? No.

To answer you, it makes the others as bad or worse. Think if we had Eddie Howe, a Wagner  ... even a Dyche ... so stop comparing junk to junk. Reality is that regardless of Wolves, Sheff Utd, Barnsley, and Bristol, Rowett is clearly a smart cat and has a chance to prove he's as good as everyone thinks he might be. Let's give him some time to sort it. 

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Or even Mac2 hadn't giggled like a schoolboy, oh the shame!

We'd at least be playing exciting football and probably had our pick of young Premiership loanees. For myself I think he'd have taken us up.

Agree, it's not inconceivable that Mac would have achieved promotion with DCFC if he had continued in his first stint when, he was sacked to make way for Clement.  He was sacked the second time around, as Mel had Rowett lined up. I doubt if Mclaren was still in charge, we would be any worse off than we are today. 

13/14 was the best season we've had in years for many many reasons, not just our league position. I think he had an awful time of things with injuries, and after losing Martin and Eustace our 14/15 campaign slipped through our fingers. Newcastle business aside, McClaren doesn't seem to handle himself too well when the chips are down. A better question for me would be, what if Thorne wasn't injured pre-season? His marquee signing of the summer that he never got to use, and while Eustace did a pretty fantastic job protecting the back 4, we lacked some of our flair from the previous season. Once we lost Eustace and Martin, we lost our entire game plan, and while McClaren's a bit of a one trick pony, it's a pretty lovely pony when the pieces are in place. I wasn't overly disappointed when he was let go the first time, but I was pretty shocked we got rid of him when we did the 2nd time. I'd have liked to have seen what he'd have done with Martin back and a few signings of his own. All our moves have been pretty horrific from Clement onwards, so while I'm not over the moon about where things are right now, Rowett needs until at least the end of the season. 

24 minutes ago, Ninos said:

As Derby fans we are so starved for a good manager that we rate this plum duff who did nothing but fail with us. His failures were so epic at key moments that he ruined our self belief. Did he get us promoted? Did he win anything? No.

To answer you, it makes the others as bad or worse. Think if we had Eddie Howe, a Wagner  ... even a Dyche ... so stop comparing junk to junk. Reality is that regardless of Wolves, Sheff Utd, Barnsley, and Bristol, Rowett is clearly a smart cat and has a chance to prove he's as good as everyone thinks he might be. Let's give him some time to sort it. 

Lost faith in Howe.

He's spent £130,000,000 since promotion and yet eight of their first choice outfielders have been there since promotion (four player in L1 too).

Doesnt look as if he knows how to improve on what was already there or suffers from 'they're expensive so theyre guaranteed to be gooditis'. 

He got us playing some great stuff. He even got Cyrus Christie playing like Cafu at one point.

I don't know how much input he had on it, but it was a clear mistake to bring in Darren Bent in January 2015, and that wasn't with hindsight a number of us spoke out how he simply never fitted the system in place.

The injuries to key players killed us later that season, not the Newcastle rumours. The DM and CF are the two key elements to making a 4-3-3 work, and we had both our first-teamers and back-up out at one point.

Sacking him the second time was just utterly stupid in my opinion. What was the point? I mean, looking at us now, and since Rowett has come in, have we been any better than under Mac's second reign? Answer is no.

Was our 3-0 defeat at Brighton really any more embarrassing than the 4-1 defeat at Bristol City?

And Mac didn't have Martin, or the luxury of a summer transfer window to make key changes. I doubt Will Hughes would have been so eager to leave Derby this past summer had McClaren stayed in charge too.

21 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Once we lost Eustace and Martin, we lost our entire game plan, and while McClaren's a bit of a one trick pony, it's a pretty lovely pony when the pieces are in place. 

This is the thing though, he showed in October through to December that he isn't a one-trick-pony. So why didn't he just have us grind those last ten games in 14/15 out? 

44 minutes ago, cannable said:

Lost faith in Howe.

He's spent £130,000,000 since promotion and yet eight of their first choice outfielders have been there since promotion (four player in L1 too).

Doesnt look as if he knows how to improve on what was already there or suffers from 'they're expensive so theyre guaranteed to be gooditis'. 

He performed miracles with mediocre players to get them from the verge of non league into the premier league and he's stayed there ... wilshere, Jordon Ibe and a few others have turned out to be blunders for sure but they'll survive again. It's Bournemouth ... think about it. And what's his big belief - keep the squad small tight knit and believing - the exact opposite of our titanic group. 

31 minutes ago, Ninos said:

He performed miracles with mediocre players to get them from the verge of non league into the premier league and he's stayed there ... wilshere, Jordon Ibe and a few others have turned out to be blunders for sure but they'll survive again. It's Bournemouth ... think about it. And what's his big belief - keep the squad small tight knit and believing - the exact opposite of our titanic group. 

Howe is turning into one of the same old panicking managers who are under pressure from the owners, stay in the prem at all costs. Signing Defoe will relegate them.

We did it with Ravanellii, he'd relegated Middlesbrough (despite scoring 30 goals) yet we signed him and also went down. Defoe and Sunderland?

Managers panic and sign so called proven scorers yet end up weakening the team.

Howe has now found he can't try youngsters or lower league players, its too risky, he has to sign proven players. The owners can only get their money back in the Prem so would rather throw money away trying to stop there rather than let their managers try younger players.

Its one of the reasons i'd rather be playing decent football in the Championship instead of playing Pulisball in the prem.. 

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Billionaire backed Bournemouth. 

He's spent £34,000,000 on Ibe, Cook, Mousset and Mings and they're being kept out of the side by 30 somethings. What's he waiting for? If they're not good enough now they're not going to be so they're either poor buys or he doesn't have the bottle.

He's flat out wasted money on the likes of Grabban, Tomlin, Iturbe, Wiggins, Brad Smith and Marc Wilson. £17,000,000 there on under 25 league appearances.

His only real bargain since promotion has been Josh King. 

Hes stopped giving youth a chance, he's stopped picking up bargains and he's been dreadful when spending the big bucks. 

10 hours ago, cannable said:

I hate Mac discussions. Every just seems to chat s****. There are few balanced views on it. 

He was staying and he made it abundantly clear.

The Newcastle thing had nothing to do with it, injuries cripple us.

The Plan B thing was stupid at the time. No team has a Plan B. Barcelona don't have Plan B. Real Madrid don't have Plan B. Even super pragmatists don't have Plan B!

Exactly. 

But this thread contains 2 of the 3 clowns we endure on the forum. 

Don't bother talking about football at the circus

3 hours ago, Ninos said:

i go to Pride Park to be entertained. If that doesn't happen then I can put up with it if we win, as we did with Billy.

Under McClaren we won an unequalled % of matches and we were entertained at the same time.

Your comments about him are as ridiculous as those you make about Martin and both of them have served DCFC very well.

16 hours ago, cannable said:

I hate Mac discussions. Every just seems to chat s****. There are few balanced views on it. 

He was staying and he made it abundantly clear.

The Newcastle thing had nothing to do with it, injuries cripple us.

The Plan B thing was stupid at the time. No team has a Plan B. Barcelona don't have Plan B. Real Madrid don't have Plan B. Even super pragmatists don't have Plan B!

Of course we do now have a Plan B.

It's less effective than our Plan A was and we've lost the Plan A in creating it.

I know which I would rather have!  

48 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Yeah he did. Ashley offered him a tenner a day and I know what for. Two pound ten a tit, and a fiver for his arse.

Nothing like a sensible debate. 

The more the world is changing
The more it stays the same
Life is full of small surprises
It's a never ending game
If nothing is impossible
Will you believe your eyes
If the unexpected brings a smile
That's a big surprise

Surprise, surprise, the unexpected hits you between the eyes
The unpredictable, that's the surprise you see, surprise! Surprise!

When you've found a love that's lost it's way
That's a nice surprise
And when you don't know what's in store today
That might bring surprise
It's the greatest feeling in the world
Nobody denies

Surprise, surprise, the unexpected hits you between the eyes,

pop_out_cake_event_prop_hire_01.thumb.jpg.2a347dbab05e4c4bc7d3f528e482a484.jpg

6 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

The more the world is changing
The more it stays the same
Life is full of small surprises
It's a never ending game
If nothing is impossible
Will you believe your eyes
If the unexpected brings a smile
That's a big surprise

Surprise, surprise, the unexpected hits you between the eyes

When you've found a love that's lost it's way
That's a nice surprise
And when you don't know what's in store today
That might bring surprise
It's the greatest feeling in the world
Nobody denies

Surprise, surprise, the unexpected hits you between the eyes,

pop_out_cake_event_prop_hire_01.thumb.jpg.2a347dbab05e4c4bc7d3f528e482a484.jpg

I wish!?

Archived