Huddlestone - overhyped?

mumblemumble

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/09/2017 at 14:55, feisty said:

Huddlestone is the most talented player at Derby bar none (and yes, that includes Thorne).

His range of passing is unrivalled and he's perfect in a 4231 alongside a more mobile and tough tackling midfielder.  Sadly we don't have the latter (yet) but that's not Tom's fault. 

You don't captain spurs against Inter Milan in the champions league without being some player. He's never been a tough tackler and that wasn't why he was bought. 

He had an iffy 2nd half as did all of them.  One game. Have any of the critics on here ever had an off day at work? I know I have.  Does one off day eradicate all previous good work? No, it doesn't. 

Hello Tom. 

On 18/9/2017 at 20:47, BramcoteRam84 said:

Don't get those who are "puzzled" by the signing of Huddlestone. The guy has played in the champions league. I know Spurs fans who cant speak highly enough of him.

We needed creativity after losing Hughes, we needed more defensively minded players which he is, he has physicality and while he doesn't put in crunching tackles, I watched his performance against Hull again on my skybox the morning after and saw the number of defensive interceptions he made, his reading of the game and of danger was exemplary, it is exemplary. 

We also needed a midfield club controller as another option to George given his lack of games since he signed. 

He lacks pace. He needs legs around him which makes the Kieftenbeld/Bryson deadline debacle extremely galling. Derby messed up and now have to wait until January to fix it. Is that Rowett's fault? Was he on the ground phone to the FA and doing the transfer administration - he gets the blame as he's the manager but other senior club administrators/officials for whom this is actually their job should probably get more of the blame.

So he needs to make do now with this squad until Jan. We cannot afford revolution so it has to be evolution, may need to take a couple of steps back to go forward. That's where we are as a club and it wouldn't be different under any other manager due to the poor squad assembled in the 15/16 season. It will take time and patience to sort.

When Rowett eventually gets the right players around him, Huddlestone will be an asset.

This is what I don't understand with Derby fans. GR said that he wanted to be solely responsible for signings and sales, but that doesn't mean everything to do with them! He wants to have the final say on who signs and who goes. He wants to watch players before signing them, not be reliant only on reports and YouTube videos. It doesn't mean that he's going to do all of the contract talks, all the paperwork, all the faxing and emailing..... He isn't responsible (at least not solely) for Keith's paperwork arriving late! I am glad that he wants to take responsibility for incoming and outgoing players, but don't stick all the blame on him for contracts etc.

Archived