Huddlestone - overhyped?

mumblemumble

3 hours ago, Inglorius said:

The consensus on here was that it was a good signing, are all those same posters now turning fickle after giving their esteemed opinions

Exactly. this site was full of posts raving about him in preseason friendlies Typical Derby fans always have to have a scapegoat its been Keogh then Christie moved on to Butterfield now looks like its going to be Huddlestone's fault if we lose pathetic 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Exactly. this site was full of posts raving about him in preseason friendlies Typical Derby fans always have to have a scapegoat its been Keogh then Christie moved on to Butterfield now looks like its going to be Huddlestone's fault if we lose pathetic 

Not at all.

More a case of him simply not being as good as people expected. 

I was really pleased when we signed him but then I thought that he would do more in a defensive role in terms of breaking up play. And I didn't realise his pace was quite as lacking as it is.  

That's not finding a scapegoat or blaming him for a loss. He just hasn't quite lived up to expectations yet. I still like watching him play though.

Most don't think that Huddlestone is a bad player, 

Surrounded by power and pace, Hudd's could sit and ping balls around all afternoon. However in the current midfield that is constantly overrun he can look poor, very poor.

And that's down to Rowett.    

2 hours ago, superfit said:

Most don't think that Huddlestone is a bad player, 

Surrounded by power and pace, Hudd's could sit and ping balls around all afternoon. However in the current midfield that is constantly overrun he can look poor, very poor.

And that's down to Rowett.    

Or is it because Keiftenbeld signed the wrong box?!

6 minutes ago, Dava75 said:

Or is it because Keiftenbeld signed the wrong box?!

No, it's down to Rowett.

Why did Rowett wait until the last minute to make his move?

Birmingham weren't too worried about losing him, fee wasn't one that needed weeks of haggling.

Neymar's transfer to PSG seemed less complicated than our effort to sign the great 'Keith' who was going to transform our season!   

I think he is becoming a bit of a scapegoat.

he is what he is. A bit of a lump who can hit some sweet passes.

we knew that when he bought him.

the crap passing v bristol wasn't by him.

And it was so bad it was debatable as to whether it was even passing.

it was just hoofed clearances, and non-league versions of glen hoddle.

Saw a fair bit of him at Hull. In the main he was awesome. But was protected by the likes of Livermore and Diame. Derby have nothing of that quality in this squad and those that we had have been moved on. Ironically, he's better suited to the time and space afforded in the premiership than the championship, so on that basis I guess we'll never get to see him in his comfort zone. But the bigger concern for me is Rowett's naivety in seeing sufficient potential in him to trigger a 2 million quid release clause!!! Hull must have been laughing a bit as they watched that BACS transfer hit the account. 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Undroppable?

At the moment yes,

we don't have any other viable midfield options, and the real problem isn't tom.

its the way we give up possession and control; and the kick and rush style.

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

At the moment yes,

we don't have any other viable midfield options, and the real problem isn't tom.

its the way we give up possession and control; and the kick and rush style.

Agree. He has little option but to go long because the short option to the likes of Johnson or Lawrence is likely to lead to a bounce off the shin and conceding possession in our own half! We have little left by way of technically capable footballers in all positions, not just midfield.

23 hours ago, mumblemumble said:

Is it just me that thinks Huddlestone is overrated?

Great passer of the ball but other than that what does he do?

Rather have a fully fit George Thorne in the team, he knows how to tackle AND pass.

Yes it appears we have signed Tom a season or so too late to benefit from his obvious skills. Both Huddlestone & Davis look like players with too many miles on the clock. 

9 hours ago, europia said:

Yes it appears we have signed Tom a season or so too late to benefit from his obvious skills. Both Huddlestone & Davis look like players with too many miles on the clock. 

Disagree completely. Huddlestone game has never been about pace. We have transitioned to a new system without having all the players required to play that system.  That means we'll muddle through to Jan winning some and lising some, and then look to get in some midfielders to complement Tom.

Will that be too late for a play off charge? Don't know.  Possibly. But we are now building for a new system and I think we will be better prepared for next year (personally I preferred the Mac system but that's dead now)

29 minutes ago, feisty said:

Disagree completely. Huddlestone game has never been about pace. We have transitioned to a new system without having all the players required to play that system...But we are now building for a new system and I think we will be better prepared for next year...

So we're swapping one system with no Plan B for a different system (less attractive footballing-wise) also with no Plan B but based around a 30-something juggernaut?! Great.

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So we're swapping one system with no Plan B for a different system (less attractive footballing-wise) also with no Plan B but based around a 30-something juggernaut?! Great.

I'm not sure you can say GR has no plan B yet. Need to see what he does in the next few matches

I wasn't saying we are (or should) build a team around only one player. We have GT who can play that role too. Simply that we need players for the system(s) we want to play and players to complement Tom in his role. That doesn't mean we build a team around him. We should build a team that we can take any player out of and replace with another as form, injuries require

Not overhyped.

sure he lacks pace but he has a touch, a brain, composure and a pass. He might not even be a tackler but he wins balls one v one 

valuable asset as far as I am concerned and poor results in Sheffield and at Hull don't alter that.

GR is working on a unit. He isn't there yet by some distance, but post Pearson, Clement and one dimensional Mac2 I am more than prepared to be patient

Don't get those who are "puzzled" by the signing of Huddlestone. The guy has played in the champions league. I know Spurs fans who cant speak highly enough of him.

We needed creativity after losing Hughes, we needed more defensively minded players which he is, he has physicality and while he doesn't put in crunching tackles, I watched his performance against Hull again on my skybox the morning after and saw the number of defensive interceptions he made, his reading of the game and of danger was exemplary, it is exemplary. 

We also needed a midfield club controller as another option to George given his lack of games since he signed. 

He lacks pace. He needs legs around him which makes the Kieftenbeld/Bryson deadline debacle extremely galling. Derby messed up and now have to wait until January to fix it. Is that Rowett's fault? Was he on the ground phone to the FA and doing the transfer administration - he gets the blame as he's the manager but other senior club administrators/officials for whom this is actually their job should probably get more of the blame.

So he needs to make do now with this squad until Jan. We cannot afford revolution so it has to be evolution, may need to take a couple of steps back to go forward. That's where we are as a club and it wouldn't be different under any other manager due to the poor squad assembled in the 15/16 season. It will take time and patience to sort.

When Rowett eventually gets the right players around him, Huddlestone will be an asset.

1 hour ago, jono said:

Not overhyped.

sure he lacks pace but he has a touch, a brain, composure and a pass. He might not even be a tackler but he wins balls one v one 

valuable asset as far as I am concerned and poor results in Sheffield and at Hull don't alter that.

GR is working on a unit. He isn't there yet by some distance, but post Pearson, Clement and one dimensional Mac2 I am more than prepared to be patient

Every supporter is having to be patient. It's 4 years since Clough was shown the door. 

Archived