Huddlestone - overhyped?

mumblemumble

Is it possible for a player to have a bad game without him suddenly becoming a bad player? 

He was fantastic against Hull, and in the first half against City he played well. Gathered applause on a few occasions for some beautiful cross field balls to Weimann. Not his fault the players on the receiving end had no end product. 

Second half he faded, just like the other 10 players on the pitch. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huddlestone is the most talented player at Derby bar none (and yes, that includes Thorne).

His range of passing is unrivalled and he's perfect in a 4231 alongside a more mobile and tough tackling midfielder.  Sadly we don't have the latter (yet) but that's not Tom's fault. 

You don't captain spurs against Inter Milan in the champions league without being some player. He's never been a tough tackler and that wasn't why he was bought. 

He had an iffy 2nd half as did all of them.  One game. Have any of the critics on here ever had an off day at work? I know I have.  Does one off day eradicate all previous good work? No, it doesn't. 

1 hour ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I found his signing bizarre and seen nothing to suggest so far that it wasn't. 

I don't understand how you can be looking at Glen Whelan to play DM and then decide that Tom Huddlestone can do the same job.Two completely different players.

Mel said at the last Q&A something like it's okay being at a club where you can simply say we cannot afford that or this player and make do, to a club where you have options and can bring in players. So far Rowett has done very little to inspire confidence in his decision making over transfers.

His remit seems to be much different to the likes of mac2 Pearson and Clement - he had to bring down the wage bill and generate some money to re invest after the chaos of the Pearson and Clement periods in terms of transfers which he is doing but as always it does actually take time.

37 minutes ago, feisty said:

Huddlestone is the most talented player at Derby bar none (and yes, that includes Thorne).

His range of passing is unrivalled and he's perfect in a 4231 alongside a more mobile and tough tackling midfielder.  Sadly we don't have the latter (yet) but that's not Tom's fault. 

You don't captain spurs against Inter Milan in the champions league without being some player. He's never been a tough tackler and that wasn't why he was bought. 

He had an iffy 2nd half as did all of them.  One game. Have any of the critics on here ever had an off day at work? I know I have.  Does one off day eradicate all previous good work? No, it doesn't. 

Agree with a lot of this, tho Thorne is still better:ph34r:. People are always looking at one man to blame for the defeat, always individual poor performances. We didn't lose yesterday because Huddlestone was too slow, we lost yesterday for an abundance of reasons. It's a team game, I wasn't there but It certainly sounded like we lacked energy across the whole team and we made quite a few stupid defensive errors. Is all that because Huddlestone is too slow? A 4-1 defeat shows the team in its entirely wasn't good enough, it's not the time for scapegoats.

Huddlstone is a class player but he needs someone with energy and bite next to him to be at his best. Maybe we should look more at why the players aren't performing in the system properly rather than individual performances?

33 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Huddlstone is a class player but he needs someone with energy and bite next to him to be at his best. Maybe we should look more at why the players aren't performing in the system properly rather than individual performances?

Why buy a player for a system we're not able to play? Not a Huddz fan. Got suckered when he joined with the 'wanting to come back to Derby' bit, but he's not what we needed, a slower version of Butterfield?!

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why buy a player for a system we're not able to play? Not a Huddz fan. Got suckered when he joined with the 'wanting to come back to Derby' bit, but he's not what we needed.

Because at that stage in the window we still had plenty of time to build a team to play that formation, after all we were supposed to be having a rebuild? If you'd have told me at the time we bought Huddlestone we'd only buy two more players I'd have been flabbergasted. He's part of what we needed (cover for Thorne) however what we needed more was a new Bryson imo, but with a bit more bite. That's what we were missing and still are imo, Huddlestone was never the man to save the midfield I agree. That's not to say he's not a talented player tho, he's just no good with someone just as slow next to him.

56 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Because at that stage in the window we still had plenty of time to build a team to play that formation, after all we were supposed to be having a rebuild? If you'd have told me at the time we bought Huddlestone we'd only buy two more players I'd have been flabbergasted. He's part of what we needed (cover for Thorne) however what we needed more was a new Bryson imo, but with a bit more bite. That's what we were missing and still are imo, Huddlestone was never the man to save the midfield I agree. That's not to say he's not a talented player tho, he's just no good with someone just as slow next to him.

As my Granny would say 'if ifs and ands were pots and pans...'

I think it's partly a twitter-era thing but opinions these days are increasingly seldom moderate (whether it be about politics, football, whatever). Everything seems polarised with strong views admired and more balanced views scorned.

Players are either great or useless in that sphere (check out Twitter comments on weimann today). In reality, all our regular first team players are good at championship level. They sometimes make mistakes. Some might not be suited to our new system. Some might not be at level for a team with promotion aspirations and more mid level championship 

But I don't think any are 'useless' or the other adjectives I read on twitter 

Huddlestone is a very good player at this level.  When we get the right players to support him he will shine. 

Archived