Derby County V Birmingham City

peachmyster

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth 

lawrence Thorne  Huddlestone Johnson 

Martin.   Vydra 

back to basics 442 we have plenty of options to be more attack minded if needed ( this should certainly be the starting set up away from home at a decent team)

Agree that's about the best we can do with the quad we've got but I would swap Martin for Winnall 

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Want at the Bristol game today , but it's obvious things might need a change for the Brum game. Davies looks out of form, has done for the last few games let's "rest" him for this and give Shacks a game. Thorne looked well against Barnsley , let's get him back in. Again Russel looked good at Barnsley on that basis of go. 

Carson 

Wisdom    Keogh   Shackell   Ollson 

Huddlestone  Thorne

Lawrence         Vydra          Russell 

Martin 

Just a question, did you watch Thorne at Barnsley?  Not sure why anyone who did would think he's even close to a first team start. IMO he looked miles away from the fitness required to actually start a championship game 

17 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Just a question, did you watch Thorne at Barnsley?  Not sure why anyone who did would think he's even close to a first team start. IMO he looked miles away from the fitness required to actually start a championship game 

Yeah I was there ! He made the 90 . Looked off the pace for the first 20 minutes but we can't wrap him in cotton wool forever. How better than obtaining match fitness than playing matches. 

Rowett rewarded the team that beat Hull 5-0 with a midweek rest and all 11 starting the following weekend. We know he wants a consistent 11 and if the team keeps winning this is all well and good and to be commended. The flipside is that the players have to know there will be consequences if the team plays badly and that people will not keep their places. There can be no second chances here because what we are doing is trying to build consistency. It's no good saying "we have to do that in every game" and when the players don't, give them another opportunity in the next one. They have to learn that they automatically lose their place if they don't perform.

Significant changes must come against Birmingham. Otherwise, what's the point of the other players not in the team working hard all week to try to force their way in? Why should they bother?

I haven't seen or heard the game. I just know that we were 0-1 up at half-time with the BBC reporter saying Derby had Carson to thank for it and should be losing, and then that we ended up 4-1. On that basis I would pick Carson but I leave the rest to others who watched. But I'd hope to see something like 4-6 changes.

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Huddlestone Forsyth

Thorne Johnson

Lawrence Vydra Russell

Martin

No. I haven't gone mad(der than usual).

Drop Huddlestone back and get all of our best players on the pitch. Or summat.

Paaaaannnnnniiiiiiiiiiic staaaaaaaashuuuuuuuns. :D

3-0 Derby. Rowett back to godlike status, Mel a visionary leader once more. 

4 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Was nugent poor? Genuine question.

i would like to give winnal a chance yet everyone seems to go straight to s guy who has 1 goal in 24 apps

Wasn't there so can't comment but doesn't seem like we actually got the ball to him so it's probably not his fault.

However the whole team needs to be looked at when such an appalling result happens, and as so significant changes will be made.

3 hours ago, ChildrenOfSkaro said:

Bird got a good report from his outing at Barnsley, could GR give him a chance -v- Brum? History is on our side - remember how old Steve Powell was when he debuted, and he turned out to be quite a decent player.

Not fair on him.

he's not physically ready. And he hasn't got the confidence. He gives the ball up to a senior pro immediately he gets a shout.

The argument could be made that too many changes could introduce chaos to the team, something that we need to avoid. I agree changes are needed, but I would keep it to a select few. An argument could be made for those in the team to redeem themselves.

Carson; Wisdom, Keogh, Shackell, Olsson; Huddlestone, Johnson; Russell, Vydra, Lawrence; Winnall

Shackell, a left sided centre back, in place of Davies for a chance to win his place back in the side. Russell scored against Barnsley, so I don't see why he wouldn't come in place of Weimann to win his place. Winnall should be given a chance to prove himself. Nothing too major, just steady changes. 

Birmingham are in horrible form, too. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The argument could be made that too many changes could introduce chaos to the team, something that we need to avoid

Definitely! We bench half the team, still lose 5-0, then what? Even the normally level headed @Carl Sagan Is calling for up to 6 changes like some kind of axe wielding astroschizoid. 

Nah, give em all a kicking, or a cuddle depending on the management strategy and send em back out there.

It would be good to give Guy a shot but he's also coming back from injury so we'll have to go Johnson and Huddlestone again.

I think the 2 is Johnson's best chance of success, he's not technically good enough to play further forward, doesn't have a trick to beat a man and has no pace. We played him left in a 4-3-3 and a 4-4-2 and he was terrible.

He's a problem to fit in the team because he is inconsistent. Every 9 out of 10 performance is followed by a 5 out of 10, and a load of 6 out of 10s

58 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The argument could be made that too many changes could introduce chaos to the team, something that we need to avoid. I agree changes are needed, but I would keep it to a select few. An argument could be made for those in the team to redeem themselves.

Carson; Wisdom, Keogh, Shackell, Olsson; Huddlestone, Johnson; Russell, Vydra, Lawrence; Winnall

Shackell, a left sided centre back, in place of Davies for a chance to win his place back in the side. Russell scored against Barnsley, so I don't see why he wouldn't come in place of Weimann to win his place. Winnall should be given a chance to prove himself. Nothing too major, just steady changes. 

Birmingham are in horrible form, too. 

41 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Definitely! We bench half the team, still lose 5-0, then what? Even the normally level headed @Carl Sagan Is calling for up to 6 changes like some kind of axe wielding astroschizoid. 

Nah, give em all a kicking, or a cuddle depending on the management strategy and send em back out there.

Ha! I kind of like "level headed".

@Ambitioushas gone for 4 changes. I think I suggested 4-6. The argument for Russell (scoring) could equally apply to Bennett. Though first I'd like to properly try Vydra and Martin together. How did Rowett intend to use Kieftenbeld I wonder? Why not see if we can replicate that without having bought him? After another week of fitness for Guy I would be tempted to bring him in for the midfield energy and move Johnson further forward.

The issue is that even if we do well which we all hope we do, the doubts over the next potentially feeble away performance will remain. The team have got to lay that ghost to rest as quickly as possible.

Carson

Wisdom   Keogh   Shackell   Ollson

Baird

Huddlestone   Johnson

Vydra                                Lawrence

Martin

I don't actually know who played badly or who deserves to be dropped but in the interests of taking defensive pressure away from Huddlestone, and getting Johnson further forward without asking him to be a winger - how about something like this?

Archived