Just an old ball

loweman2

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Alpha said:

Love it. Where did you get that, loweman?

a local guy was selling it, he won it in 1972 in a school raffle at leesbrook school and has had it ever since, it has been in a bag in the dark in his garage so is in fantastic condition, it even still inflates and stays up ! I have bought a lot of Derb County related stuff but this is the only thing like this I have seen, really nice item !

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

Picked up this thing of beauty today !

a mitre sure shot lace up ball from the 60s in pristine condition and to top it off it's signed by Brian Clough and the 71-72 championship winning team !

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

What a beauty, I'd bet good money that you won't find another the same. Thought it was gonna be another Nigel Pearson thread though with the title. 

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

a mitre sure shot lace up ball from the 60s in pristine condition and to top it off it's signed by Brian Clough and the 71-72 championship winning team !

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

I've given you an angry because I'm jealous as f*** :p. Don't worry, I'll give you a couple of likes later to make up for it :thumbsup:

I was once coerced into buying a few raffle tickets for a ball signed by the Everton players, who were stopping in Buxton for a few days preparation prior to a Wembley final. 1966 I'd guess. I won the raffle, and kept the ball in a box in my old bedroom in my mothers house and forgot all about it.

A few years later, she phoned me up (I was living away at the time) and asked if she could give it to a local 8-year-old lad, who was an Everton 'supporter' and was dying of meningitis, poor kid. I hope it brightened his short life a little. No idea what became of it after that. His mother probably kept it in his bedroom as a keepsake.

That's really nice, man!

I'm gonna take the opportunity to show off a couple of my favourite pieces from my collection:

While all the other kids rushed to get autographs from Dean Sturridge, Steve Elliott and Ashley Ward, I asked this fellow for a signature... He'd clearly not had much experience, hence putting the date :D And an interesting date it was....

i2JAp03.jpg

This is a bit of a mundane letter from when managers managed things rather than just coached a football team: apologies for the shine, it's in a plastic wallet for protection.

RbCVhAV.jpg

And finally, I have no idea what it's all about, but it seems worth saving at least to have something to ponder over: It's a greetings card to 'George' from John O'Hare and a 'B. Clough' with newspaper cuttings taped to it for laughs. One has fallen off in the top left; I vaguely remember from years ago it used to say 'MACKAY' in the top left, I don't remember what was under the words 'I've Failed'.

W2xLTu8.jpg

None of it quite as cool as your signed ball though!

• 3 weeks later...

Just like busses !! you wait 47 years and along come two !!!

Took my Dad out today to meet another one of his heroes, one of the famous 15 that won the First Division Championship title and also the second division under Brian Clough, this time it was Jim Walker, i have known Jim for a while so he was happy to spend three hours with us at his home talking about everything football, he was also the physio at Aston Villa for 15 years so has got plenty of tales about Graham Taylor, Big Ron and of course Cloughie and the team of legends !

i couldnt believe it when he gave me the match ball from the night when they beat Chelsea 3-1 in the League Cup, widely regarded as Jims best game for Derby, read the report below and it says that was the night that the DCFC journey began !

it has seen better days but it was 49 years old on Monday night !! the white has all disintegrated off and left the leather underneath but you can clearly see the Mitre markings, it was signed by the team but that has all but disappeared, the pic is my old man with Jim ! jims on the right !

59d52653566d8_jimwalker1.jpg.a6d474b334a524c6d1b73bc5b33965ba.jpgIMG_0987.thumb.jpg.8c3b5d3fc2cc5ac3515b328ac7401224.jpgIMG_0991.thumb.jpg.95429295e6f79d19cf67e7e408d4a981.jpgIMG_0990.thumb.jpg.43524b12653a3068986703db476edc61.jpg

jim walker 2.jpg

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 13:43, loweman2 said:

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

There may be a similar one still around....

My ex also won a white one in a raffle, signed by the 71/72 Championship team. The (unofficial ) Cheshire / North Staffs Supporters "Club" - mainly railwaymen ex Derby - had a celebratory dinner once we had won the title, and she turned out bedecked in black and white, rams scarf and carrying said ball. The locals could not quite understand why DCFC was being celebrated at Betley, but none of them were as envious as my mates!

Might ask her if she still has it !

• 1 month later...

I managed to get on a top secret signing session with Terry Hennessy yesterday over the dark side before he did a F*rest reunion last night, he is only over here for a short while on a rare visit from Australia and said this will be his last so I was thankful to be invited along, it allowed to me to get the last signature and finish off the old ball and the 71/72 shirt.

the other guys there were Red dogs with their rubbish 1960s stuff, it was great to get him signing these and some other things with champions plastered all over them, one guy then went to great lengths to try and get one over on me by pointing out that they went on to equal our achievements and better them.

I went to not so great lengths to point out that they did that with our manager and half of our team, he then had a large sip on his peroni and went as red as the dirty shirt he was holding in his hand !

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1487.jpg

Archived