Bristol City v Derby County

CumbrianRam

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

It hurts so much mate because you care so much. Its so hard to describe the feeling, to put it into words. We had a team that was on the verge of evolving into a thing of beauty, a team that was great to watch and totally unplayable when it clicked. It was young, hungry, yet had a couple of honest pros who'd die for the cause and were superb role models for the boys coming through the ranks. 

Somehow, over the last two years we've managed to completely restructure that side and almost without exception, replaced the players with ones who've made the team worse. Not worse players individually but ones who didn't have the ability to play as a unit rather than an individual. 

This makes me sad. :(

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's match left me a bit deflated. Generally love going Bristol away, sat in my hotel trying to chill and me and my kids can't believe we witnessed yet another messy away performance.

Without going into intricate detail we looked likely to lose this well into the first half even at one up. That we somehow clung on to a lead was false hope at half time. Just seemed a bit like rabbits in a headlight second half and little idea how to fend them off or take the game to them in my opinion. Just so disjointed playing away, clearly Rowett needs to adapt his tactics, as right now hasn't seemingly got the players to play the way he wants.

Said few weeks ago this season is going to be a rollercoaster, the last 2 league games just confirm my belief. Don't know what's been said on radio, or too much on here but Rowett needs time, this team (make that squad) is cleary work in progress. Need a couple more windows before it truly evolves to the way Rowett wants them to play. A lot will be gone by then, until then going to be games like both Hull and Bristol.

Today however was total meh, all I can think of doing right now is heading for another tramp juice and await Birmingham minus Redknapp, now that's a clusterf***!

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

It hurts so much mate because you care so much. Its so hard to describe the feeling, to put it into words. We had a team that was on the verge of evolving into a thing of beauty, a team that was great to watch and totally unplayable when it clicked. It was young, hungry, yet had a couple of honest pros who'd die for the cause and were superb role models for the boys coming through the ranks. 

Somehow, over the last two years we've managed to completely restructure that side and almost without exception, replaced the players with ones who've made the team worse. Not worse players individually but ones who didn't have the ability to play as a unit rather than an individual. 

The wine makes it worse mate!

This just sums it up completely for me.....I've gone from being madly passionate about our football again after years of meh,to gradually watching it all fall away again....

and i don't want to feel like that,I want the derby way back.

Slick,intelligent,exciting linked up football that makes me sit watching you tube videos of our games into the depths of the night and makes me feel happy and proud.

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I see your point angry but I'm not sure how it effected our momentum....the side facing Barnsley were completely different to the hull side and the hull side had the normal turnaround to the next game...so it shouldn't have effected them at all,anymore than the under 23 side losing midweek......we are pretty weak, psychologically,if it did (or is that your point?)

I think there are far more fundamental problems with us at the minute...mainly in the midfield area as discussed already.

My point was that we missed a chance to create some momentum.. Who knows if we would have won but changing the team did not give us an opportunity..  I touched on the psychological side on the Barnsley thread, some struggled to see the point I was trying to make.

I agree wholeheartedly that we have more fundamental problems.

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

This just sums it up completely for me.....I've gone from bring madly passionate about our football again after years of meh,to gradually watching it all fall away again....

and i don't want to feel like that,I want the derby way back.

Slick,intelligent,exciting linked up football that makes me sit watching you tube videos of our games into the depths of the night and makes me feel happy and proud.

Mac mk III?! #unfinishedbusiness 

Just now, Angry Ram said:

My point was that we missed a chance to create some momentum.. Who knows if we would have won but changing the team did not give us an opportunity..  I touched on the psychological side on the Barnsley thread, some struggled to see the point I was trying to make.

I agree wholeheartedly that we have more fundamental problems.

I know what you mean and you are probably right but I did enjoy seeing the other members of the squad playing again and in many ways I enjoyed it more than some of our league games...Johnny's goal and link up with Martin was particularly great to see (for me anyway)

Might at least give GR some food for thought.

Apparently I have an account here. Here goes.

City fan in peace here, I've read the matchday thread and it basically echoed exactly what I thought of your team, Keogh was phenomenally poor , and the midfield just wasn't mobile enough.

If it wasn't for Carson it could've been worse.

What happened? I don't follow Derby obviously, I know Rowett's been appointed and that's the extent of it really, I thought yous lot were supposed to be one of the favourites to go up? On paper you have a capable squad, but the selection today I thought was a little bit strange. No fight there, mentally weak from the looks of things, struggled to compete all over the pitch.

Not to blow our collective trumpet but we should be looking at mid table and above, but 4-1 is a ridiculous scoreline against a team that was challenging the Premiership not so long ago. Shame really.

5 minutes ago, Ramos said:

Mac mk III?! #unfinishedbusiness 

I've been over excited twice on the past couple of years...the first when Mac2 returned and then when Martin signed again for us when he was at Fulham on loan.

I hoped to see the happy couple reunited but it wasn't to be.

I've learnt to temper my expectations since then tho?

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

The wine makes it worse mate!

Depends on the wine,mate! There's a lot of snobbery in wine (imo), and I've managed to find one for 4 euros (which wine 'buffs',without knowing the price,have liked big time (haw, haw). We agree on a lot of things about football,but I was convinced some time ago that the style we were playing wasn't going to get us promoted.As soon as one manager cottoned on to the way to stop us playing,the others were always going to follow suit.I hate cliches,but the plain fact was we never had a plan B.I remember Peter Schmeichel touching on this as a Studio Guest in one of our games (Leicester,of course) and saying that you have to 'mix it' in the Championship. From my point of view, enjoy the memories,but he was probably right.

Could I hit 4 bottles? Don't put it past me,if I continue to field replies:D You just can't subdue passion.

5 minutes ago, MoleyMcMolerson said:

City fan in peace here, I've read the matchday thread and it basically echoed exactly what I thought of your team, Keogh was phenomenally poor , and the midfield just wasn't mobile enough.

What happened? I don't follow Derby obviously, I know Rowett's been appointed and that's the extent of it really, I thought yous lot were supposed to be one of the favourites to go up? On paper you have a capable squad, but the selection today I thought was a little bit strange. No fight there, mentally weak from the looks of things, struggled to compete all over the pitch.

Not to blow our collective trumpet but we should be looking at mid table and above, but 4-1 is a ridiculous scoreline against a team that was challenging the Premiership not so long ago. Shame really.

Mate,we don't know either.....#lost

Hoping it's a blip before it all comes together.

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Well what a very disappointing day. Many reasons for concern. 

Our away way form is very poor... That's two horror shows in the last two away league games.

its also three defeats in four games . We've conceded 10 goals in those games... Scored 8. Really if you score two goals per game, you don't expect to lose three out of four.

last two games we were winning at half time ... But lost both times. Fitness problems?  Even though most of the team were rested in midweek.

last two league games we played the same starting eleven. And used the same three subs with the same three players taken off. But in very circumstances . We really need to have a plan B for away games, or if things aren't going our way.  But we don't. 

We we don't seem to have much in midfield, which is why we concede so much possession. At half time, 1-0 up but conceding too much possession we should look to get a grip of midfield. Not a chance when you only have two players in midfield. 

Well at least today we were v lucky to be leading at half time

Just got back from the game. Some thoughts...

The flaws which some of us saw v Hull were ruthlessly exposed. Lightweight forwards and a slow, outnumbered midfield. It is interesting to see people blaming the CBs (and they weren't faultless) but we were overrun for 3/4 of the game and they were defending for their lives. Constantly left 2 v 2 and sometimes 3 v 2, you can't defend like that for 90 minutes.

The front 4 are so lightweight that they never win a 50/50 or header and are easily bundled off the ball. The amount of times they lost possession and set them off on another quick attack was frightening. As I have said earlier Vydra is no more guilty of this than the others but he is losing it in deeper positions. 

Two years ago when Thorne was playing for us in a 433 it was the general consensus that he wasn't mobile enough to play in a midfield 2 and now we have signed an even less mobile DCM in Huddlestone and expect him to play in a 4231. This just about works at home and when we are winning but as soon as we have to chase the game he is hopelessly exposed. the Hull win was partly down to Johnson playing at a higher tempo and our best spell today was the 15 mins in the second half when he was more energetic. This is an indicator of our potential salvation, though that will have to wait till Jan.   

What can we do in the meantime? 

At home I think we need to play Martin in the number 10 role. He is the best footballer in the forward line and the slowest so that makes sense. He will retain possession and bring others into play. Lawrence then needs to play on the right and Vydra on the left. I would also be looking to bring Thorne on for Huddlestone for the last 15-20 as the game gets stretched.

Away from home I would play Johnson in front of Thorne and Huddlestone and push Martin up front for Vydra and Lawrence to play off him. Wisdom definitely has to play away from home when you will defending your own box more.

Not ideal solutions but we are a lopsided team and the current team will only beat lower and midtable teams at home and bottom 6 teams away.   

12 minutes ago, MoleyMcMolerson said:

Welcome.  Don't think there are many who thought we were going up.  You will find stiffer opponents than us.  On the day we can be fabulous or truly awful, our day is Feb 29 though.  Good luck for the rest of the season you played exciting football and the scoreline flattered us

13 minutes ago, MoleyMcMolerson said:

Unfortunately,on bottle 4,you're dead right........and you can't believe how much it pains me to believe that

I've just watched the snippets and post match interviews on Channel 5. 

The story of the match they peddled was.....a good start for the rams in first half.....an early 2nd half fightback from Bristol. .......a critical missed derby chance by nuge. .....2 late goals to pull away. Slightly less damning than the verdicts from the forum.

The most interesting  thing was the Gary rowett interview. He admitted to being at a loss to explain why we are conceding soft /silly goals, in batches, away from home. "We can't quite put our finger on it" were his words. Should we be worried? 

By the way we're now behind villa. The very epitome of ancient overpriced s***e.

3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Welcome.  Don't think there are many who thought we were going up.  You will find stiffer opponents than us.  On the day we can be fabulous or truly awful, our day is Feb 29 though.  Good luck for the rest of the season you played exciting football and the scoreline flattered us

Cheers lad, we've been properly s**** for a long time, things are finally looking up. Good luck for the season, at least it cant get too much worse!

5 minutes ago, sage said:

Just got back from the game. Some thoughts...

The flaws which some of us saw v Hull were ruthlessly exposed. Lightweight forwards and a slow, outnumbered midfield. It is interesting to see people blaming the CBs (and they weren't faultless) but we were overrun for 3/4 of the game and they were defending for their lives. Constantly left 2 v 2 and sometimes 3 v 2, you can't defend like that for 90 minutes.

The front 4 are so lightweight that they never win a 50/50 or header and are easily bundled off the ball. The amount of times they lost possession and set them off on another quick attack was frightening. As I have said earlier Vydra is no more guilty of this than the others but he is losing it in deeper positions. 

Two years ago when Thorne was playing for us in a 433 it was the general consensus that he wasn't mobile enough to play in a midfield 2 and now we have signed an even less mobile DCM in Huddlestone and expect him to play in a 4231. This just about works at home and when we are winning but as soon as we have to chase the game he is hopelessly exposed. the Hull win was partly down to Johnson playing at a higher tempo and our best spell today was the 15 mins in the second half when he was more energetic. This is an indicator of our potential salvation, though that will have to wait till Jan.   

What can we do in the meantime? 

At home I think we need to play Martin in the number 10 role. He is the best footballer in the forward line and the slowest so that makes sense. He will retain possession and bring others into play. Lawrence then needs to play on the right and Vydra on the left. I would also be looking to bring Thorne on for Huddlestone for the last 15-20 as the game gets stretched.

Away from home I would play Johnson in front of Thorne and Huddlestone and push Martin up front for Vydra and Lawrence to play off him. Wisdom definitely has to play away from home when you will defending your own box more.

Not ideal solutions but we are a lopsided team and the current team will only beat lower and midtable teams at home and bottom 6 teams away.   

Does nugent not have a part to play.  Martin has shown nothing this season, not had many chances I agree but nothing that I have any faith in

Archived