Bristol City v Derby County

CumbrianRam

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Only the manager and players know whether they need resting or not.

The ground they covered against Hull may have been a factor. Not seen any stats but the pressing we did that night is something I've not seen from us before.

On the momentum point we had won one game. As I say Barnsley beat us Tuesday and got spanked today, against a Villa team that has been struggling, what happened to their momemtum. Too often we, as fans, have a bad habit of just completely disregarding our opponent and taking them out of the equation. 

I will certainly agree with the feel good factor point but what guarantee of a victory was there with the same XI that started today? I'm now reading that this starting XI is fragile and shouldn't be starting away games?

Make no mistake our results are worrying but I'm more interested in seeing what Rowett does to stop these happening, only then will we know if we have the right man for the job.

okay I will try and answer you point by point.

1. Yes agreed, we as fans dont know if a player needs resting but the resting thing is self fulfilling and IMO crap. Yes 100% if a player is carrying a know, give him a rest. Are they that unfit otherwise.. Training in the week is not overly taxing and that is all structured around regeneration and resting them. Compared to some other sports, football is not that intense. If you tell someone they are tired enough blah, blah, blah. 

2. Momentum, is not two wins on the bounce some sort of momentum for a team that is inconsistent.. No guarantee's of course but an opportunity to start to build. Small acorns etc. I said on the Barnsley thread that Bristol will be very tough, I certainly dont take the opposition lightly. We might have still lost against Bristol, who knows but we had an opportunity to give our best 11. 90 more minutes of playing together. It is only September, not April. Roy Mac is right about preseason.. All over the place..

3. I agree not guarantee's in anything. I guess we both use hindsight is our points being made.

4. Agree.. He has to earn his corn now. Hopefully he will come through. 

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't a great watch today, Bristol City were ok, but we are poor away. It is obvious how this season is going to end, we don't have enough quality in key areas. Our midfielder is so easy to overrun, Johnson is not consistent enough, and Huddlestone is too slow moving with the ball. We need someone who will run around all game, and put tackles in. Curtis Davies isn't really an upgrade in central defence either imo. The only hope we have is no one in the league looks consistent, or very good. We will beat most teams at home, but will lose a lot  of games away with the formation we play. Not many positives after today I'm afraid, we were awful. The game reminded me of Brentford away last season, overrun by a much fitter side. Could have been alot more if it wasn't  for Carson. Roll on Saturday, back to pride park!

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Because he's all about getting the ball from back to front quickly. So that's either long balls to a strikers head/chest, or balls over the top for forwards to run onto. If we get the ball forward and hold it up, I think rowetts more than happy to play to feet from there, but we rarely get that far, because it goes forward and doesn't stick.

Used to rate Huddlestone, but he's past it now. His signing, along with others, will prove to be Rowetts downfall. And those we have released for me better than anything we have brought in. We are far far weaker now than we were last season, and we were not good enough last season. I've said it before, Rowett will be gone by end of October, and I for one will not be disappointed to see him go!

1 hour ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Leader on the pitch is still a problem as far as I can see. 

Captain change required........

ITS ALL KEOGHS FAULT ?????

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek but there's needs to be leadership all over the pitch - Carson, Baird, Keogh, Davies, Huddlestone, Johnson, Nugent etc who should all be contributing leadership

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek but there's needs to be leadership all over the pitch - Carson, Baird, Keogh, Davies, Huddlestone, Johnson, Nugent etc who should all be contributing leadership

Exactly, there's enough of them who've done the job before.

I didn't go to the game and I haven't seen any highlights, so I won't comment on the game, but the general feel around the club.

It's fair to say we are going to see boom and bust football for a while yet.

This is 11 individuals, not a team. Rowett is paying for the years of mismanagement that came before him, in that the job is far bigger and far more difficult than the club try to make people believe.

The squad is still as disjointed as it was. There is talent there so we are capable of beating anyone on our best day. But because we are not really a team and the blend is not quite right, we are unlikely to gut out results on our worst days.

Personally, I don't think Rowett is the man to get us promoted, because time is not his friend. Realistically, he is a young manager who is still learning and this is the biggest job in his career. So he and the club need to grow together. A long term view needs to be taken. He needs 3-4 more windows to rebuild this team in his image and allow the club to get itself in order. I just don't expect him to be given that luxury, because Mel thinks he is capable of doing a job that he doesn't seem suited for.

But Mel has to wake up and realise Rowett is no David Wagner. What sets Rowett apart? You could put a blanket over him and so many other managers of his ilk. At this point, he certainly doesn't appear to have the acumen or the motivational and man management skills to get the best out of this current group of players in a time frame reasonable enough to appease what is undeniably an expectant owner and fan base.

But it's a long season and a season that is only 7 games old, so I think we need to give it more time to see the fuller picture. But I think this is the sad and unavoidable truth.

One thing I forgot to say (well into my second bottle now,what the hell) is hat I've no chance of seeing us live,and I've accepted this for a long time.But nothing ,absolutely nothing,will take away the passion I've felt for this club over decades.When I was in hospital for 3 weeks a few years ago,I had a porter trained (a Man U supporter from what I remember),who'd come up a couple of floors just to give me results.Why did he do it (and I had it confirmed on a subsequent visit to O/P,where he recognised me instantly),it was because he couldn't believe the passion I showed,win or lose

Why,oh why, can't these players show just an ounce of this (and I'm trying not trying to be big headed here)If we  continue in this vein,we're heading for mid table.Brighton got up with a great work rate and not a little skilll. How many times do you think that Hughton had to remind them of basics? I'd venture to suggest very little,as they seemed to have it in their DNA. What about us? Perhaps I need to lay off the booze,as I might go too far. My chronic 'broadband' speed meant that I lost the last few minutes (lucky me-though I wasn't surprised when 2-1 turned into 4-1. Just wished I'd lost it after 20 minutes)Because of the speed,I'm lucky if I get 20 secs of matchplay (Rams tv,before anyone gets in with a smart comment) before the big freeze,but I still watch it because those 30 seconds are precious.

Why,oh why,am I turning against the club I love so much?Is it the wine talking,or is it the fact that a massive hangover is going to dull my memory?'

Was there today. First half we were OK. Carson made two good saves for us to ensure we ended up being 1-0 up at half-time. Most of the game was in the other half from where we were watching behind Carson's goal (away end).

Second half was poor from us. The Bristol City players looked fitter and sharper. They definitely deserved to win the game, though 4-1 maybe flattered them. The ball seemed to be in our own half all the time.

What concerns me the most is that there appeared to be no change in formation to nullify the superiority of Bristol in the second half.

To sum up, we were crap. Hopefully we'll be better next game. COYR!

20 minutes ago, unclej said:

If I was still playing I'd wont to play against Richard Keogh every week. That's very Saturday and on Tuesdays.

Keogh would have you in his back pocket all day long. You need to stop hating Keogh. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

This is what worries me. I can't see where we're going at the minute either...

I can see quite clearly where Gary wants to go,Roy, but can he see where htis group are going to take him?In his defence ,the 'Keith' debacle was unfortunate.It begins to appear to me that he's attempting to turn a 'juggernaut around,and we know how difficult that can be.I don't know,maybe I should leave off the wine,otherwise I could get really hard hitting.I don't know,I'm so hacked off,it's not true. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Were we actually any good in the 1st half, just leading is what I've heard. Plus the players should look at GR, he sent them out.

Should've changed it at HT it was only matter of time before they scored I'm afraid ... we were second best in first half but went in 1 up .. they deservedly won and I'm yet to see GR change a game tactically where we change a game to our benefit and result  ... early days still but what worries me is I don't see a consistent pattern to our play and teams like Bristol City having 60% possession and 25 goal attempts .... does not sit well with where or how I'd like us to be playing ... but early days and all that 

17 minutes ago, The Arch Deacon said:

Used to rate Huddlestone, but he's past it now. His signing, along with others, will prove to be Rowetts downfall. And those we have released for me better than anything we have brought in. We are far far weaker now than we were last season, and we were not good enough last season. I've said it before, Rowett will be gone by end of October, and I for one will not be disappointed to see him go!

I don't like we sold Hughes or Christie but this is a ridiculous post, I'm particular the end part ... it's just one game, and he's still figuring out the mess he's inherited. He will sort it. 

5 minutes ago, ramblur said:

...I don't know,maybe I should leave off the wine,otherwise I could get really hard hitting.I don't know,I'm so hacked off,it's not true. 

Feeling crap tomorrow won't help get a sense of proportion on Derby. :) I'm hacked off too, but can't see a change without a change of thinking from the manager. Don't know if that'll be with GR or with a new manager, time will tell.

Archived