Barnsley v Derby County

Leicester Ram

11 minutes ago, irobinson said:

It's Gary Rowett as pronounced by Woy - the new Cwistel Palace manager 

Sometimes after a rest players are more sluggish than if they had played midweek after all it's just like a training session playing Barnsley as they often have behind closed doors friendlies against them as did Darren Wassall prior to the Hull playofffs and I was there as was the Barnsley manager Heckingbottom 

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

To be honest, we went out beaten by a better team, good luck Barnsley. My views on the selection process are well known but all these posters coming across as they don't care that we lost, does my head in.. We will see about Brizzle on Saturday, if we lose it won't just be down to the team selection yesterday. We might just lose to a better team on the day.. No problem as long as we give it a shot.

That many changes... I cant square that circle. 4 or 5 even blooding Bird and the others are basically experienced players, no problem. I could have understood that (not agreed :lol:) though. Thorne coming on for 20 mins.. Squad for Saturday.. Happy days.

Is it a mentality thing?  Lets play devils advocate here. Take US sport, the NFL for example. Yes, I know there is only one competition but there is absolutely no sentiment at all, no risk taken with a competitive game. Win and do everything you can to win. I find it hard that we play without that mental attitude as a club. I have no doubt that the players last night wanted to win but would a ruthless club be bothered about giving players, playing time.. A squad of 53 and some players don't get any time at all in the NFL. The franchise does not give a toss, just wants the best players possible on the pitch at any one time. 

Probably using the NFL is not a great example as I can pick holes in that but what I am trying to get across is that win everything mentality. 

Don't always agree with  what you say AR but I think you have a valid point here

I was surprisingly disappointed about last night. Maybe it was just on the back of fridays fantastic performance. Maybe it was based on what I thought looked like a really good team for us. Or just that, in my opinion, having good cup runs is actually a real positive to the league form and 'feel good' factor around the club.

The value of having a winning culture is massive, whether or not players make the first team or not. It creates a virtuous circle that we 'will win' and develops a resilience to overcome adversity and still win whatever the circumstance. 

I agree that both the club needs to have that mentality and the players it invests in must do too.

Still, in fairness, we were very close to achieving it last night . 

And I still trust in GR to do what he thinks is right at the end of the day.

21 minutes ago, curtains said:

Sometimes after a rest players are more sluggish than if they had played midweek after all it's just like a training session playing Barnsley as they often have behind closed doors friendlies against them as did Darren Wassall prior to the Hull playofffs and I was there as was the Barnsley manager Heckingbottom 

Thanks for this Curtains, I've given it to my young son as a punctuation exercise; it's more interesting than the ones he gets from school.  

After just watching the 10 minute highlights back the last 2 goals were so poor to give away, after a returned header from our GK a simple pass takes out the majority of our team and then we go to sleep and get done on a short corner. That's just basic football there no matter what team we play they should be dealing with situations like that.

Can't help but be really disappointed with the defeat to Barnsley. Was really looking forward to the trip to Wembley. Disappointed with the amount of changes. Was hoping Rowett wanted to win the match.

Think it's totally different to Thorne against Ipswich. That was a dead rubber. Oh well. Must beat Brizzle on Saturday to make it worth it. 

A Spurs fan at work enjoyed taking the mick today, asked me if we were saving the first team for a Champions League match. He couldn't understand us saving so many players "for a big game at Bristol City".

I suppose a downside of having as big a squad as we have is keeping players happy and feeling you have to play them to stop potential boat rocking.

I just keep remembering how few players we used on our European Cup run under Cloughie, 46 league games, both domestic cups plus the European Cup, around 16 players used on heavy pitches, times certainly have changed.

Whats wrong with expecting us to beat Barnsley?

personally i thought it would be a draw but i don't see whats wrong with some people expecting us to beat barnsley.

Gary says we are aiming for top 2. It was still a pretty strong team. Wisdom and forsyth are arguably first team; Pearce was a regular last season; russell and martin were first team until recently; shackell was first team until he got injured.Anya and martin are scottish internationals etc.

if we drew shrewsbury or hereford  i'd expect us to beat them.

if we drew a premier league team then i'd expect us to lose.

28 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

A Spurs fan at work enjoyed taking the mick today, asked me if we were saving the first team for a Champions League match. He couldn't understand us saving so many players "for a big game at Bristol City".

I suppose a downside of having as big a squad as we have is keeping players happy and feeling you have to play them to stop potential boat rocking.

I just keep remembering how few players we used on our European Cup run under Cloughie, 46 league games, both domestic cups plus the European Cup, around 16 players used on heavy pitches, times certainly have changed.

Surely the reply is that the prospect of a league cup match vs Spurs reserves isn't worth risking the first team for.

7 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

To be honest, we went out beaten by a better team, good luck Barnsley. My views on the selection process are well known but all these posters coming across as they don't care that we lost, does my head in.. We will see about Brizzle on Saturday, if we lose it won't just be down to the team selection yesterday. We might just lose to a better team on the day.. No problem as long as we give it a shot.

That many changes... I cant square that circle. 4 or 5 even blooding Bird and the others are basically experienced players, no problem. I could have understood that (not agreed :lol:) though. Thorne coming on for 20 mins.. Squad for Saturday.. Happy days.

Is it a mentality thing?  Lets play devils advocate here. Take US sport, the NFL for example. Yes, I know there is only one competition but there is absolutely no sentiment at all, no risk taken with a competitive game. Win and do everything you can to win. I find it hard that we play without that mental attitude as a club. I have no doubt that the players last night wanted to win but would a ruthless club be bothered about giving players, playing time.. A squad of 53 and some players don't get any time at all in the NFL. The franchise does not give a toss, just wants the best players possible on the pitch at any one time. 

Probably using the NFL is not a great example as I can pick holes in that but what I am trying to get across is that win everything mentality. 

They run a mile, tops,  with 11 minutes of average game time.

We rested players so they don't run 10km on what might have been a heavy pitch. Football is small margins, and i think we have one for the weekend. And I really want to get out of this league.

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

They run a mile, tops,  with 11 minutes of average game time.

We rested players so they don't run 10km on what might have been a heavy pitch. Football is small margins, and i think we have one for the weekend. And I really want to get out of this league.

You missed my point.. Never mind.

8 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

For those who are unhappy with the changes as they believe we'll have lost all momentum, here's just a few results from the 2nd round of the cup. I only checked the Championship teams, but I'm sure there's plenty of examples from the other leagues as well.

The weekend before the set of 2nd round fixtures:

Wolves 1-2 Cardiff

Sheffield United 1-0 Barnsley

Bristol City 0-0 Millwall

The 2nd round fixtures:

Cardiff 1-2 Burton (Cardiff made 10 changes)

Sheffield United 1-4 Leicester (Sheff United made 8 changes)

Reading 3-1 Millwall (Millwall made 10 changes)

Results the weekend after the 2nd round fixtures:

Cardiff 2-1 QPR

Sheffield United 3-1 Derby

Millwall 4-0 Norwich

There's 3 teams who picked up good results before the set of cup fixtures, made plenty of changes and lost, but went on to win their next league game. 

Not surprised to see that this post got no responses.

Knives are sharpened ready for Saturday.

If we get a win at Bristol, the resting of the entire team can be justified. I don't agree with it still and feel it's a bit disrespectful for those of us who traveled up to watch it. But can be justified, if however we don't, just like when we picked a reserve side against Leicester in the replay last year. Then I will feel a little cheated out of a trip to Wembley. No disrespect to Barnsley as obviously a first 11 wouldn't guarantee a win. But would obviously have increased the chances 

1 hour ago, EastHertsRam said:

Not so sure about that,think it was more a case of building (match) fitness levels of fringe players ,in case any have to step in over the next few games,and also to have a look at a couple of youngsters.To any who suggested that Gary didn't care about the result,he looked pretty gutted to me and probably disappointed he wasn't afforded another chance to build match fitness/have another look at youngsters (as I've no doubt that's what would have happened).

In Cloughie's time you could probably get away with putting players out carrying knocks,not so easy with the pace of today's game,and the closing down required.Terry Hennessey always seemed a bit bitter about being asked to turn out,when carrying what was probably a bit more than a knock (in fact I think he blamed Cloughie for a premature end to his career-knee problems from what I remember).

6 hours ago, curtains said:

If that was a training session,we must still be in the cup:D.Bit worrying if George's lungs were 'bursting' in the first half of a training session.Rather disrespectful to Barnsley there,curtains?

Archived