England v Slovakia

David

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we have to accept that we currently don't have players as talented as the top 5 or 6 countries.

The manager is getting stick but he has probably less international class and world class players than any other manager has in my memory.

He hasn't picked a side where i have disagreed with more than 2 selections because we have so little to choose from. 

Sometimes we criticise the manager for the foibles of players. He can't make them better players. He hasn't got time to teach them how to pass or shoot better.

All he can do is organise and motivate. 

There are some things he could do better. He got the Ox and Rashford the wrong way round but at least changed it. He also has to have us more compact as a team. I don't mean that in a negative way, we just get so stretched when we attack that we are always prone to a counter attack. 

The biggest problems that we need to resolve is having a better passer at DCM alongside Dier or Henderson and our decision making around the box. Some of our players think if they have run with the ball 20 yards or beat a man they can shoot no matter who is in a better position. Some composure around the edge of the box and we could have had 4 tonight.

So what are our expectations for Moscow? 

I think reaching the quarter finals is a par expectation. To go further would require a very kind draw.

It drives me crazy having to listen to that sycophantic drivel that comes with the ITV commentary.

Clive Tyldesley needs to learn how to commentate rather than just tell us how amazing England and their individual players are.

Is it a crime to say that a player chose the wrong option or just wasn't quite up to it.  And the opposition are always lucky rather than capable of matching us.

And Glen Hoddle... he shouldn't be on telly ever again for two reasons. His opinions on football and his dodgy views on those with disability. Both are heinous enough for him to be stonewalled.

As for the football - England are like watching us under Clement. Not playing a style that will make us look very good to watch or that we're that capable of doing well.

7 hours ago, sage said:

I think we have to accept that we currently don't have players as talented as the top 5 or 6 countries.

The manager is getting stick but he has probably less international class and world class players than any other manager has in my memory.

He hasn't picked a side where i have disagreed with more than 2 selections because we have so little to choose from. 

Sometimes we criticise the manager for the foibles of players. He can't make them better players. He hasn't got time to teach them how to pass or shoot better.

All he can do is organise and motivate. 

There are some things he could do better. He got the Ox and Rashford the wrong way round but at least changed it. He also has to have us more compact as a team. I don't mean that in a negative way, we just get so stretched when we attack that we are always prone to a counter attack. 

The biggest problems that we need to resolve is having a better passer at DCM alongside Dier or Henderson and our decision making around the box. Some of our players think if they have run with the ball 20 yards or beat a man they can shoot no matter who is in a better position. Some composure around the edge of the box and we could have had 4 tonight.

So what are our expectations for Moscow? 

I think reaching the quarter finals is a par expectation. To go further would require a very kind draw.

I'd be happy to see us get out of the group. Nothing here to get excited about but at least it's a new set of players we may be lucky and get a good draw.

International football itself has too much money in it for the vested interests to give up on it.

So it will limp on. We will be okay ish and occasionally produce a few decent players much as we always have done.

We were never much kop when there were hardly any overseas players in our leagues. 

I grew up on a diet of bob latchford,  Emlyn hughes etc all struggling to qualify for anything. 

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

International football itself has too much money in it for the vested interests to give up on it.

So it will limp on. We will be okay ish and occasionally produce a few decent players much as we always have done.

We were never much kop when there were hardly any overseas players in our leagues. 

I grew up on a diet of bob latchford,  Emlyn hughes etc all struggling to qualify for anything. 

Our youth football has always been about 11 a side on adult pitches and over competitive.

It has changed now and we are catching up technically but we are decades behind the French, Spanish and Germans.

However things often go in cycles with the about of talent ebbing and flowing. Who would have thought Belgium would be this much better than Holland.

Being in Germany, I kinda watched Their game with Norway on an off, simultaneously on the TV, while I watched England Slovakia on the net. Now Slovakia are a better team than Norway, that is given, but having said that it really stuck out to me how much technically better the Germans are than our lads. I know our Premier league is full of foreigners, and the German bundersliga just has a sprinkling of foreigners giving them more to choose from. (I also dont really rate their 2nd division, and think our championship is a better quality overall, but thats another issue) But in the final third, when spaces are tight they are just better than we are. And I dont see that changing for a generation or 2.

One thing we do have is pace, Rose, Walker, Oxlade Chamberlain, Sterling when he came on. The Germans dont seem to have this pace, but then they dont need it. Because they are better on the ball, better control under pressure, better football brains to pick out passes in space etc. So many times the players i listed above, just wanted to sprint into space or past a man, before they loose it. The Germans never just try and out run someone and then into a cul-de-sac. Cyrus Christie and Kyle Walker when they do that headless chicken run they do where they run into space then run out of ideas and try and improvise their way out. In Germany this would have been coached out of them at a young age. Im certain of it.

Stopped watching England after the Euro 2016 debacle, which was pathetic. A side of the best Championship players would have performed better in that tournament, essentially what N.I., Iceland and a few other teams were (and all credit to them).

The players view it as a commercial obligation, the coaching is terrible and the next two major tournaments will be held in deeply corrupt dictatorships that will be dangerous for fans. Southgate got binned out of league football for a reason.

11 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Being in Germany, I kinda watched Their game with Norway on an off, simultaneously on the TV, while I watched England Slovakia on the net. Now Slovakia are a better team than Norway, that is given, but having said that it really stuck out to me how much technically better the Germans are than our lads. I know our Premier league is full of foreigners, and the German bundersliga just has a sprinkling of foreigners giving them more to choose from. (I also dont really rate their 2nd division, and think our championship is a better quality overall, but thats another issue) But in the final third, when spaces are tight they are just better than we are. And I dont see that changing for a generation or 2.

One thing we do have is pace, Rose, Walker, Oxlade Chamberlain, Sterling when he came on. The Germans dont seem to have this pace, but then they dont need it. Because they are better on the ball, better control under pressure, better football brains to pick out passes in space etc. So many times the players i listed above, just wanted to sprint into space or past a man, before they loose it. The Germans never just try and out run someone and then into a cul-de-sac. Cyrus Christie and Kyle Walker when they do that headless chicken run they do where they run into space then run out of ideas and try and improvise their way out. In Germany this would have been coached out of them at a young age. Im certain of it.

Are there still British army bases in Germany? Just wondered if they were why are they still necessary? Shouldn't we be pulling them out n closing them down?

Mind you. Do we need US bases in England anymore? 

At risk of sounding like something from Brexit 101...

It's too easy for Prem clubs to go out and buy foreign players than invest in English youth. Loads of factors, but mostly driven by the need for instant success, in turn, driven by money.

Clubs at the top end, like the Manchesters, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool etc. can't afford to not buy ready made players - they need to get in the Champions League for the big dollars. Clubs nearer the bottom can't afford to not stay up. Both blocking the routes to the top league for English players. Chelsea make the situation worse by simply hoovering up talent and farming them out on loan year on year.

Add to that the ludicrous prices that clubs are asking for English talent (Derby aside, it seems), due to the 'genius' homegrown rule - Stones for c£50m last season, when this season could have got you Bonucci for c£35m.

All in all its a perfect storm. There seems to be a complete lack of intelligence both on and off the pitch in the English game. Right from the top.

It could be worse, we could be the Dutch national team.

Archived