Commons

loweman2

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

matches exactly what I heard at the time. I heard he was never actually offered the contract, he asked for stuff, they said they would put it together, then they said they'd accepted the offer and never got around to putting a contract in front of him to sign.

I always thought the fee was so ridiculously low that it would have been worth more to Derby to forego the £300k and keep Commons until the end of the season and then see where we were. This account from Kris is a bizarre contradiction of the one we were told at the time. Is he trying to sell a book?

1 minute ago, Colm said:

Any reason why clickbait articles are suddenly being encouraged instead of the text being posted?

To keep this forum legal and above board. This isn't click bait though, it is what it says, Commons having his say on what happened with his departure.

6 minutes ago, Colm said:

Any reason why clickbait articles are suddenly being encouraged instead of the text being posted?

I'm on mobile and that site is so poorly optimised that its not worth the hassle. 

It would be an infringement of copyright to post the full text of the article here. People do it but as someone who spends some of their time trying to protect intellectual property, I strongly disapprove and the DET could sue the forum if it wanted. Maybe the forum powers have reached the same conclusion?

The DET site has improved (but it needed to as it was once illegible). But newspapers have to make money somehow and that's either through adverts or a paywall, or there'll be no more stories such as this for us to discuss.

Edit: Seeing Daveo' s post above while I was slowly writing mine, it seems the forum has reached the same conclusion which I'm pleased about.

11 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I always thought the fee was so ridiculously low that it would have been worth more to Derby to forego the £300k and keep Commons until the end of the season and then see where we were. This account from Kris is a bizarre contradiction of the one we were told at the time. Is he trying to sell a book?

Could very well have a book to sell. Bit strange to open up an old wound after such a long time has passed. Can't think of another reasonable explanation.

Hard to say who is telling the truth here No mention of Commons agent anywhere can't imagine he would negotiate himself No reason to disbelieve him although he had history at Forest for doing the same thing But if you back a club into a corner don't cry when it don't go your way especially when the club had been trying to get you sign a contract for over a year 

1 hour ago, David said:

To keep this forum legal and above board. This isn't click bait though, it is what it says, Commons having his say on what happened with his departure.

Didn't mean to infringe the forum rules, at one time you were labelled a "lazy linker" if you just cut and pasted the link and didn't copy the story, makes sense though so won't do it again ! ?

I don't recall his departure being 'controversial', seem to remember it being the outcome that most people expected.

Interesting that he refers to being treated like a piece of meat yet, despite this, he never refuted any of the supposedly false claims about his departure at the time. Very strange.

I got married in a place called Kelham, which it turned out was where Kris Commons lived during his time at Derby.

I was sat in the local pub, which had just me, my brother and the land lord in, the landlord claimed to know Kris well and said he was a friend.

Amongst a few interesting snippets, some of which would be a bit risky for this site, he told me that Kris and more so his missus, were wanting to move. Kris enjoyed playing for Derby, but due to them having a baby sadly passing away, they couldn't be doing with the stick they got when we played forest.

Not sure if that's true, but he seemed to know his stuff. 

Kris drank a whisky and water according to him.

4 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Kris not the house of !

personally I don't believe a word of it !,

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kris-commons-tells-side-story-419955

Former Derby County and Nottingham Forest ace Kris Commons has given his side of the story about his controversial Rams departure.

Whilst the opinions expressed are different - I think the text itself could tell the same story

We were told he was offered a new deal, at the wages he'd asked for, with an extra year on top - And that he came back again and asked for even more money cos Celtic were going to give him that

He says:

"I sat down hoping a new contract was about to be offered but he came straight out and told me that they had accepted a bid from Celtic and I was free to go"

We were never going to offer him the same as Celtic - We offered what he asked - That statement could very easily be him hoping we'd match the Celtic contract

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Amongst a few interesting snippets, some of which would be a bit risky for this site, he told me that Kris and more so his missus, were wanting to move. Kris enjoyed playing for Derby, but due to them having a baby sadly passing away, they couldn't be doing with the stick they got when we played forest.

This seems likely so not sure why he's trying to rewrite history now - Unless he's moving back to the area and trying to endear himself to Derby fans again?

Personally if I saw him around I'd only have nice things to say to him - Great player for us, exactly what we needed at the time, had some great games for us and if he'd been a bit less injury prone could have made that Clough team into a much stronger force

14 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Whilst the opinions expressed are different - I think the text itself could tell the same story

We were told he was offered a new deal, at the wages he'd asked for, with an extra year on top - And that he came back again and asked for even more money cos Celtic were going to give him that

He says:

"I sat down hoping a new contract was about to be offered but he came straight out and told me that they had accepted a bid from Celtic and I was free to go"

We were never going to offer him the same as Celtic - We offered what he asked - That statement could very easily be him hoping we'd match the Celtic contract

This seems likely so not sure why he's trying to rewrite history now - Unless he's moving back to the area and trying to endear himself to Derby fans again?

Personally if I saw him around I'd only have nice things to say to him - Great player for us, exactly what we needed at the time, had some great games for us and if he'd been a bit less injury prone could have made that Clough team into a much stronger force

Yes whatever went on he was a great player for us Never forget the ones at the City ground or the one against Man Utd 

Good player.

i see no reason to doubt it. Mostyns account could be true. He might have been offered something verbally and was waiting for us to put it in writing.

not sure that nigel liked him much. 

Good player for us.

Smashing player, at a time when they were in short supply.

Loved it in the CapitalOne corner at the City Ground when he smashed that winner in the cup, even better a few days later when I had the luxury of unzipping the hoodie to reveal the Derby shirt, as the Red faithful streamed over Trent Bridge with 30 minutes to go!

Archived