17/18 - Summer Transfer Window

Day

17/18 - Summer Transfer Window  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am very very happy with these signing could kick start our season now but sad to see bryson leave but glad we got shift of butterfiled thank shiffield wednesday for sam winnal he he he like fulham did to us and by the way you got worse end of the deal.

Now watch derby fly up the table and maybe heading to wembly in capital one cup get in.

In terms of numbers of buys/sells and loans kind of what I expected tho some of the names are a surprise. 

Always thought that this season will be transition with a relatively modest mid-table finish and more dramatic surgery will be next close season when contracts begin to expire.

Hope to see the new boys given the chance sooner to hopefully breathe some more life into our performances. Particularly winnall up top and kieftenbeld partnering huddlestone. 

I think Gary's had abit of a shocker this window. Seems like a lot isn't his fault, but still loosing your best 2 players and not replacing fully is not good in anyone's book. Sam Winnall though, that may just be a rabbit out of the hat. 

Let you know in about 10-15 games time.  Speculation, while no doubt fun, cathartic and offers a way to show how much you think you know about football, is pretty much irrelevant until we've seen the new signings play and can determine whether the team operates better than it did before.  So-called 'bang average' players (a phrase I wish was filtered out along with any swearing) can prove to be superstars in the right set up and players that the FM warriors get all excited about often fail to fit in.  Sorry to be boring, but I'm too long in the tooth to get too excited or despondent about anything DCFC related before I have seen what happens on the pitch.

New signings are a bit like Schrödinger's cat; until we see them play they have the potential to be both good and bad signings at the same time.  

Decent window in my opinion

outs Hughes as expected but unhappy with how much we got

Ince - sale expected but price could have been slightly better 

christie - sale expected but price was a lot lower than I think we could have got

Bryson - I think he was loaned out for the right reasons - he wants to play and we needed to shift wages but I like him

Butterfield- he had to go as he just killed off most of what we tried to do

blackman - again high wages for no produce needed to go

camara - we signed the only man from France who could run fast and not control a football in any form - he had to go

ins  - 

Davies - established centre half who doesn't look like he has settled yet good price

wisdom - started decently and getting forward more than I expected again decent price

huddlestone - decent fee with huge experience and can actually pass the ball

lawrence - we paid big money and I can see the promise in him 

winnall - considering we have a season swap he gives us an option of a different kind up front

kniefied - not surprised Rowett went back for a midfielder and I hope he can get the ball won and given to the others

players we couldn't shift - Bent Anya shackell - maybe in January but I am reassured to still have shackell if we pick up injuries or suspensions 

Rowett - worked hard and we simply do not look like we have wasted money for a change

2 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Let you know in about 10-15 games time.  Speculation, while no doubt fun, cathartic and offers a way to show how much you think you know about football, is pretty much irrelevant until we've seen the new signings play and can determine whether the team operates better than it did before.  So-called 'bang average' players (a phrase I wish was filtered out along with any swearing) can prove to be superstars in the right set up and players that the FM warriors get all excited about often fail to fit in.  Sorry to be boring, but I'm too long in the tooth to get too excited or despondent about anything DCFC related before I have seen what happens on the pitch.

New signings are a bit like Schrödinger's cat; until we see them play they have the potential to be both good and bad signings at the same time.  

Boring!

Thought it would be interesting to look back in 12 months time. 

Having initial thoughts is ok, as long as you're willing to accept at a later date you may have been wrong ?

2 minutes ago, David said:

Boring!

Thought it would be interesting to look back in 12 months time. 

Having initial thoughts is ok, as long as you're willing to accept at a later date you may have been wrong ?

I must admit, I have a lot of the usual suspects for the type of self-aggrandising "I am an expert on football and the club should employ me as a scout, our transfer policy over the last few years has been a disaster, we should have signed him or him or him, but not him" on ignore, so not sure what they've been saying about the new signings... but, as for admitting they were ever wrong? Never gonna happen.  

I suppose another reason I don't go in for saying too much about the olayers we are bringing in is because I genuinely don't watch as much general footy as I used to and so don't know who a lot of these players actually are (doesn't stop most people having an opinion though).  I don't trust stats either. 

Just an old boring luddite.  Rhubarb, rhubarb.  Kids of today don't know how lucky they are. etc.

27 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I suppose another reason I don't go in for saying too much about the olayers we are bringing in is because I genuinely don't watch as much general footy as I used to and so don't know who a lot of these players actually are (doesn't stop most people having an opinion though).  I don't trust stats either. 

Not sure if I would put myself in the same boat as you as I feel like I watch a fair bit but a lot of the time I have no real lasting memory of many players outside of the Premier League, possibly down to the amount of coverage the PL gets compared to the FL.

Winnall and Kieftenbeld both haven't registered on my memory so I'am firmly fence sitting with an "Ok" for now although there is a couple of things I like about these transfers.

1) Rowett has worked with them both before, that can be used as a stick to bash managers from, Burton ahem, but as long as you're not trying to recreate a full team you've had elsewhere I'm great with it. You shouldn't have any trouble with these players in the dressing room, training etc. You know exactly what you're buying/loaning.

2) I also like the small fee and "unknown" status they hold for many fans including myself, when you go out and splash £7m on a player you expect big things, the price tag can weigh heavy on a players shoulders. Kieftenbeld £300-600k is peanuts, 2 year deal if it doesn't work out no great loss. Winnall on loan, no price tag at all and the best thing is the player that has gone in the opposite direction wasn't exactly loved so won't be hearing that we should never have got rid of Butterfield 6 weeks down the line. 

No real buzz, expectation, should give these 2 a real fair chance at the club.

Finally when it all comes down to it, if a player is sold he wasn't in the managers plans or they wanted out and thought it was best they moved on, love Bryson, Butterfield, Hughes, doesn't matter, if they wasn't going to play games they are better out the club than sat around twiddling thumbs. We all have/had our favourites but you move on, thats football. The next few days will be filled with he should have gone, should have signed for us and that's all great but this is the squad we have now, time to get behind it.

So we don't have the buzz of the 15/16 money and names but I'm ok today, ok. 

8 hours ago, Kernow said:

I think it was an alright transfer window. Lower fees than expected dominated it. We sold Hughes and Ince for lower than I would have expected us to have got for them. Pretty much every player we signed has been of a lower value than I would expect in this market too so I guess it evens itself out.

The squad is a bit smaller, we're starting to shape up a little bit more with a squad to fit a system instead of a total mishmash. I think GR will be satisfied, but at the same time disappointed. He probably wanted to get rid of a few more and get a couple others in, but he wasn't prepared to overpay. Overpaying is the reason why some players we may have wanted to leave haven't actually left yet.

I would have liked one more winger to make me more confident of top six. Right now as the squad stands, I think we'll miss out, but we will hopefully be better in the long term with (fingers crossed) more stability and can eventually put together a squad that GR is completely happy with and we can then look to really push on.

What I don't want to see is another wasted window in the sense that we sack the manager a few months later, then get in somebody else who wants to play a different way, but doesn't have the squad to do so.

And all this judgement without using words  like  'skill' , 'quality' and 'flair' . Wonder why?

11 minutes ago, DRBee said:

And all this judgement without using words  like  'skill' , 'quality' and 'flair' . Wonder why?

Nail on the head... it was an ok window, but as u observed about Kernow's statement we lack those things, i think we will be 'workman like' until we get a replacement (or two, in case) in the middle going forward because i cant see us scoring many with the squad we now have..

That said, im sure GR had targets he missed, and so its work in progress and we will just have to be patient

Looks ok to me. I think it was good to ship out Butterfield and Bryson, although Bryson has been good for us, I couldn't see them having a roll in how Gary is setting us up.

I haven't seen much of the lad from Birmingham but sometimes someone comes in and clicks sometimes they don't. I think we could have shipped a couple more out but it's early days. I think Gary needs to be given a bit of time to get things settled and then may be a couple of deals in January. 

I think Gary has done well whilst being pragmatic. He now has a fairly balanced squad, with players capable of playing his preferred formation. Butterfield and Bryson were suited to a 433, which at the moment, we are not looking to play.

I am sure he would have wanted to move a few wide players and a striker or two on, and freshen up the final third more - and I am sure that is what he will seek to do in January.

I would not be surprised to see this as our core team from here to January;

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth

Huddlestone Kiefer Sutherland 

Lawrence Vydra Johnson

Nugent

Bench;

Mitchell

Olson/Baird

Thorne

Shackell/Pearce

Russell/Weimann 

Martin

Winnall 

This looks balanced to me - and with the promise/hope of more flair in January perhaps for the final push. Overall I am satisfied with our August work.

46 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

Some good rebuilding from GR in this window. Time will tell if prudent or not but what cant be disputed is that it was required & long overdue. Wages will be down, we are in credit & precedents have been set that no one is irreplaceable which can only be good for keeping players on their toes & breaking cliques in the dressing room.

The style of the team is changing - we can see that already - but we haven't got anywhere over the last 3 years with what had become a sterile & predictable slow paced brand of football. A more direct, pacy & hardworking team is fine with me. The moves Rowett has made remind me a little of the Bald Eagles first summer in the job moving out underachieving 'stars' like Short, Pembridge & Williams using the funds to bring in hardworking pros like Van der Laan, Powell & Rowett to fit the team ethos & style of play.

Now we just need a blockbuster signing in Jan to replicate the Stimac signing & we could all be in for a surprising season.....

Posted on another thread but more appropriate here....

8 hours ago, David said:

In: Wisdom, Davies, Huddlestone, Lawrence, Winnall, Kieftenbeld

Out: Hughes, Ince, Christie, Camara, Blackman, Butterfield, Bryson

Thoughts?

Very disappointed to see Ince go, our best player. Thought we should have got more for Hughes. Think we should have kept Elsnik and given him some game time. OK about the other departures. Pleased with Wisdom signing. Still think we lack a creative midfielder and hope Lawrence can fill the void left by Ince's departure. 6/10 I would give the window but will be 100% behind Rowett and the team.

17 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Where was the 'skill', 'quality' and 'flair' in the Jim Smith and Billy Davies sides that got us promoted to the Premier League?

Would have liked to have seen more of the freeloaders gone but it's a start.

Need a wide man still as I don't have any confidence in Russell,Weimann or Anya but the addition of Kieftenbeld may add that missing bit to the midfield and give support to Russell.

Be interesting to see what Rowett does with Bradley Johnson and where he plays him.

Interesting times ahead.

8 hours ago, David said:

In: Wisdom, Davies, Huddlestone, Lawrence, Winnall, Kieftenbeld

Out: Hughes, Ince, Christie, Camara, Blackman, Butterfield, Bryson

Thoughts?

I think Rowett has done a great job in terms of a 'squad overhaul'. Fresh minds and attitudes. Strengthened some areas.

But: 6 in, 7 out? Thought Rowett wanted a smaller squad? 

Weve 'replaced' well on some areas (Christie/Wisdom, Ince/Lawrence, Blackman/Winnall?) but was it really necessary to 'swap' 3 forward-thinking CMs for two defensive ones at this stage when trimming the squad was a priority?

I have faith and will give him all the time he needs, but right now I'm not sure how I should be feeling.

9 hours ago, Donnyram said:

I should hope we have a midfielder lined up if Bryson & Butterfield are going...... keep the faith but we're cutting it fine unless they're sat with their feet up smoking a cigar and laughing at the panic on this forum!  ?

59 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Nice to see a sensible post on here agree let's wait and see Winnall will give us something different 

Archived