Cameron Jerome - Signed 18 month deal

DcFc Dyycheee

Got to trust Rowett. Would personally go back in for Che Adams myself as think he could fill any of the front 4 roles, but in realitty we probably don't have that sort of money to spend this window. Any Number 9 we bring in is not going in as automatic first choice as Nugent & Winnall have both been superb, so any signing would just be a different option. Think Jerome fits that mould with his pace & power and don't think we could ask for better from someone who wont be playing every week.

As for Martin, huge wages and obviously wants to play football. One of the best signings we have made over the last 10 years, however hasn't even looked like scoring goals for us for well over a year now when he has played. Whether its the style of play under Rowett (which is improving each week) or him declining, he just isn't the answer anymore. He clearly has to move for his own sake and I would be happy to see him playing elsewhere.

If Jerome does sign, we still need another option for the wide areas. Thinking it will most probably be a young loan from a Premier League Club. See Spurs have said that Marcus Edwards will be going to a Championship Club on loan. He fits the mould and by all accounts very talented. Also like to see a Midfield player come in. Ryan Woods would be ideal and IMO be able to make the step up to the Prem with us next year, but just can't see us spending the money.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Andicis What's this hoofball style you don't like I've been to 22 league matches this season and not seen any Guess I must be missing what your seeing

You've misinterpreted what I said, I said the Jerome option is the option to go route 1, that's his style of play and how he has always played, I'm not saying that's how we've been playing, but with Jerome in the side that's how we WOULD play.

He's definitely not someone I would have wanted to be on the top of our wishlist this month, but I'm not going to start complaining before he's even arrived.

GR has done very well with his signings so far, each has improved the team as a whole, even if that meant an arguable downgrade in terms of individual quality. If CM isn't seen as important to the way we want to play, and Jerome is viewed as a better fit, then it's a logical move. It's not a case of who is better, Martin or Jerome? It's a question of who GR thinks suits us better and that decision is down to him and his team.

It's a slight gamble I must admit. I think this looks pretty obvious to be a short-term move to give us something to different to get us over the line. If he gets a couple of goals to win a game or two, it could be the difference. It's if we don't go up where the risk is, we'd have another ageing player on the books who we'd look to offload. It won't make a difference to us if we're up, he can be given away if he's seen as surplus to requirements.

Can someone answer this as if they are GR?

(Phone rings)

GR : Mel I want to bring in a 31 year old striker CJ, from Norwich.

Mel: okay but Norwich don’t want him he’s not getting younger and why another striker when we are scoring for fun, and you have Vydra supporting either Winnall (scorer) Nuge (best partner) and Martin (hold up)? 

GR: my thinking is ___________ 

fill in blank cuz I can’t (- is it that he’s a tall guy and we don’t have that except for Bent ? )

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

(Phone rings)

Mel: okay but Norwich don’t want him he’s not getting younger and why another striker when we are scoring for fun, and you have Vydra supporting either Winnall (scorer) Nuge (best partner) and Martin (hold up)? 

fill in blank cuz I can’t (- is it that he’s a tall guy and we don’t have that except for Bent ? )

Finding myself agreeing with you often now Ninos, it's worrying me! :lol: 

Just now, Ninos said:

(Phone rings)

He can score goals from all angles and also scores for fun. 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

He can score goals from all angles and also scores for fun. 

Too superfluous. We need better than that cuz stats don’t seem to support that and if he’s prolific why would they be getting rid?

In all comps THIS SEASON:

Jerome has scored 2 goals in 1089 mins, Martin has 1 in 1013. (probably worth mentioning that one of Jerome's was against Swindon in the cup). 

Jerome has started 11 games, Martin has only started 5 with most his minutes coming in the last 30 mins of games. 

Jerome is 31 and Martin is 29. 

Looking at these stats, on first glance it would seem both have done equally poorly. But considering Martin has mostly been used as a sub whereas most of Jerome's games he's started, it starts to look like Martin is the better performer this year.

Both have proven they can score goals at this level but are both in poor form. For me, Martin is never going to score more than a few goals a year under the Rowett system, presumably Rowett thinks Jerome would better suit the 4-2-3-1 to the 3 at the back they've been playing recently. If i remember well, think Norwich used to play a similar 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 hybrid to what we play when Jerome was scoring goals for fun, with Hoolahan in the Vydra role. 

1.2m is cheap. Do i think we should get rid of Martin? Only to someone nowhere near the promotion places but yes. 

Do i think their are better options than Jerome? 1000%

Won't be too devastated at that price though. 

For what its worth, we could probably sign Devante Cole for a similar price considering his contract expires soon. Strangely someone snubbed this suggestion in another threat, but 12 goals in 30 in league one and only 22 looks much more appetising. 

Just now, Ninos said:

Too superfluous. We need better than that cuz stats don’t seem to support that and if he’s prolific why would they be getting rid?

Mate you could say that about all transfers. 

Why this why that. 

Trust me he’s good enough to get us over the line. 

6 minutes ago, Ninos said:

(Phone rings)

GR: my thinking is cause he's son of Superman.  :lol:

49 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Anybody fancy trying to talk me around to this? I just can’t see the positives. 

Four months ago, I couldn't see a single positive at Derby County.

Fortunately the sum total of what I know amounts to about zilch whereas the manager seems to, well, manage. This might be another one of those moments.

As noted by a few other luminaries on this site it seems like a signing being made to give us something different to what we don't currently possess i.e. a strong, tall, powerful physical strong forward. (Akin Donaldson GR had at Birmingham). He is someone who will be able to bully centre half's  and create space and opportunities for our other strikers while hopefully chipping in with a few goals himself. GR believes this is the guy who may well just get us over line into the premiership. 

He has been right in most things he has done so far, whose to say he won't be right again. 

I will be sad see both Bent and Martin go, if indeed they do, If they do go their own separate ways they will have entertained us over the last few years. I fear though we as team have moved on while they have stood still.  

Only time will tell if are doing the right thing but GR has not failed us yet so we must trust his judgement.

Would much prefer us to be signing a younger striker for the future, but Rowett knows better than I do. Most of the feelings I have towards this signing now are similar to the ones I had when we were about to sign Martin (apart from age), so let's hope this works out just as well as that did

4 minutes ago, eddie said:

Four months ago, I couldn't see a single positive at Derby County.

Fortunately the sum total of what I know amounts to about zilch whereas the manager seems to, well, manage. This might be another one of those moments.

It’s a good point. I rate Rowett and all his other signings have been top notch. I trust him to know what he’s doing. Just struggling to see what Jerome brings to the team, other than big wages.

It really depresses me on this site when folk write off a signing before he's kicked a ball for us...:(

Rowett has publicly stated that if we sign anyone it will be someone that brings something different to the team - that's exactly what Jerome is - he's a big, strong, physical presence who will potentially beat up a few centre-halves - we don't have anyone else that can do that - Nugent/Vydra/Winnall are all quick and skillful, Martin is slow and skillful, but when we come up against physical defenders, there's a chance our forwards will get bullied - not something that will happen with Jerome in the side. He's not likely to be first choice in most games, but he'll give us a great option off the bench if we need more physicality - give the bloke a chance for goodness sake....

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

It’s a good point. I rate Rowett and all his other signings have been top notch. I trust him to know what he’s doing. Just struggling to see what Jerome brings to the team, other than big wages.

His excellent hold up play will enable our Rolls Royce Vydra to end the season on 30 goals.

Let's start getting excited about our good looking hunk of a new striker.

Dig them cornrows!

Archived