Cameron Jerome - Signed 18 month deal

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I think this is similar to the Curtis Davies signing. A proven, high quality championship player who’s a good fit but they’re both the wrong side of 30. It’s natural to have some concerns about their age because we’ve got an old squad already but I think Rowett’s found value through experienced players like those two.

They both might only be good value for this season but 500k and 1.5 million for both of them represents a lot of value for money, particularly if we get promoted. It’s even better value when you consider we’d have probably been paying 5 million for Grant Hanley and 8/9 million for someone like Oliviera.

I’d obviously much rather have younger players who can still improve, something I think we’ll be able to sort in the summer but they’ll give us the best chance at promotion for now.

A few months ago I wasn’t completely sold on Rowett’s plan and style of play, which was justified at the time because attacking wise we didn’t seem too reliable and we looked bang average off the back of games like Bristol City away. Brentford away was a bit of a breaking point for me, Rowett looked like he was going in the complete wrong direction but he’s completely turned it round.

Rowett’s style has settled and we look like we could challenge for the title, let alone automatics. It’s a cliche but the team has gelled. We’ve reached the point where there’s no argument for using Martin when the system has become so successful, Jerome will contribute more in the next few months than Martin would. 

Jerome is a signing that can keep us riding this wave until the end of the season.

I’m probably the only one on this forum who actually loved that game against Brentford. I thought at he time that against Bristol GR had said “right, you want to attack at all costs, go and attack” and then when it bit the players on the bum he said “right, I don’t care if you don’t cross the halfway line in the whole game, I want you to maintain your shape and defend as a team” against Brentford. Against Cardiff he then refined it a bit more, maintaining shape at all times but with more pace in the counter attack. The players then saw that this system can be both effective, and when well executed, pretty.

Probably a load of row locks though.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

A forum would be a boring place if we can't have our opinions though? That's what a forum is for though isn't it Eddie?

Is that a fact or an opinion?

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I guess this pushes Winnall down to 3rd choice? 

I don't see that there is a pecking-order as such. More 'horses for courses'.

16 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I’m probably the only one on this forum who actually loved that game against Brentford. I thought at he time that against Bristol GR had said “right, you want to attack at all costs, go and attack” and then when it bit the players on the bum he said “right, I don’t care if you don’t cross the halfway line in the whole game, I want you to maintain your shape and defend as a team” against Brentford. Against Cardiff he then refined it a bit more, maintaining shape at all times but with more pace in the counter attack. The players then saw that this system can be both effective, and when well executed, pretty.

Probably a load of row locks though.

Bradley Johnson at 10 made me want to vomit.

I understand staying solid but it was shades of Pearson playing Butterfield on the wing for me; a player who really doesn’t suit a position and a manager stubbornly trying to get his system to work. It was horrific and made me really worried about what direction we were headed in. 

It’s easy to say in hindsight it was all part of getting on track and it turned out that way but a lot of people have forgotten how average we were at the start of the season faster than others. A decision like Johnson at 10 and the way we’d aimlessly hit it up for someone to chase is why some people still think Rowett plays anti-football.

They weren’t good foundations but we’ve way, way surpassed any fears I had now, this system is ruthlessly effective in its own way.

2 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Bradley Johnson at 10 made me want to vomit.

I understand staying solid but it was shades of Pearson playing Butterfield on the wing for me; a player who really doesn’t suit a position and a manager stubbornly trying to get his system to work. It was horrific and made me really worried about what direction we were headed in. 

It’s easy to say in hindsight it was all part of getting on track and it turned out that way but a lot of people have forgotten how average we were at the start of the season faster than others. A decision like Johnson at 10 and the way we’d aimlessly hit it up for someone to chase is why some people still think Rowett plays anti-football.

They weren’t good foundations but we’ve way, way surpassed any fears I had now, this system is ruthlessly effective in its own way.

Is BJ at 10 that different to having Thorne there. BJ is an attacking midfielder who can defend well (not in the Lawrence or Russell mound but still better suited going forwards) and Thorne is a defensive player who can attack. It is just a case of putting someone further forward who will put his foot in and break play up in their half. Horses for courses if you like. As for the aimless balls upfield, yes early on it did seem to be the case, but we are now attacking with real purpose and with a well oiled machine.

9 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Is BJ at 10 that different to having Thorne there. BJ is an attacking midfielder who can defend well (not in the Lawrence or Russell mound but still better suited going forwards) and Thorne is a defensive player who can attack. It is just a case of putting someone further forward who will put his foot in and break play up in their half. Horses for courses if you like. As for the aimless balls upfield, yes early on it did seem to be the case, but we are now attacking with real purpose and with a well oiled machine.

No, it's completely different (to me, anyway). Thorne is brought on to keep the ball higher up the pitch with his good control, physique and excellent vision/passing. Johnson was from the start, and possesses none of those attributes.

Does anyone on here know how close to the wind that we are sailing to FFP penalties?

If you have a limited budget and your top salary players that you are happy to let go, do not want to go then...

1. Bring in entirely reliable players that work hard and only need telling once what to do.

2. Push the players that you want to leave, down the pecking order

3. Be fair to all the players, if you are brilliant in training then you will get a game

4. Make competition for places the driving force. No better example than Wisdom, signed for good money but ousted by Baird. Waste of time moaning to Rowett who would simply tell him, "Baird is playing better than you. Up your game if you want to play. Do not bother asking again". Also you are great back up for Baird!!! So Wisdom knows if he makes a couple of point costing clangers then he will be dropped. Fee paid becomes irrelevant.

3. Review the situation again when you have £200 million coming into the club over four years. Loan out or terminate contract by mutual consent any players that are clearly surplus to requirements.

Where would Butterfield and Bryson rather be now?

You are not expendable only if you are turning in really good performances pretty much EVERY week. Otherwise, trust me, you are expendable.

If you are not a really hard worker with an excellent attitude, why are you at Derby County? - Confucius 681 AD. lol

i think if we had made a move for a similar player in another position we wouldn't question it so much... i feel this signing opens up more questions than answers - why has gary bought another striker (and not a young one at that)? is CM or DB (or both?) on his way out? i personally thought we'd go for someone in the middle as a similar-player backup for TL... are we simply reading too much into this and GR reckons he could do a specific job for us and he's got him on a (relatively) cheap deal for a season or so and he doesn't make up much of our transfer strategy?

''1 in 3 is not a bad strike rate at all, especially considering how hard he works and the assists he provides. 

I've been a big supporter of Jerome and wish him well. He's been a great signing for the club, and unfortunately it looks like he's a high earner we can afford to sit on the bench, especially when this is probably going to be the last time we can get a decent fee for him. 

Oliveira has been, overall, no way near as good a signing as Cam was for us, and is currently playing with so little confidence and end product, we might as well have 10 men at times. Sad that some posters are putting that at the door of Jerome providing a "lack of competition", when he has been be by far the more productive player for us. It's a certainty that if Jerome had missed as many chances as Oliveira has recently, and/or failed to hold the ball up as miserably as Nelson has in recent games, he would be absolutely pilloried by a lot of our fans. 

Good signing for Derby, but if he goes we really need to be looking to bring in two strikers this window. ''

Archived