Cameron Jerome - Signed 18 month deal

DcFc Dyycheee

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's definitely a puzzle. However:

• I don't believe Jerome would take a big drop in wages to join us.
  • He's been under contract as a once-Premier-League striker meaning he'll likely be on a bigger contract than the rest of our lads.
  • And Nixon a few days ago commented on his massive wages.

It seems logical to think he would come as the highest-paid player in the squad. Or certainly right up there with the very biggest earners. Is that fair to the other players who have got us into the automatic places? We had this problem under BD, with similar signings such as John Macken.

Not sure on this, given he hasn’t asked for a transfer then I believe he is entitled a pay out.  It could be conceivable that he still is better financially along with his signing in fee and cut of the transfer fee, he is better off with a wage more aligned to the rest of the squad.

I would have thought a loan deal would be more beneficial however I can see the scenario where he contributes more than CM until the end of the season.  That’s not to say I don’t rate CM but playing him off the bench does not suit him and his overall game suffers as a result and he cannot perform at the levels he does when playing regularly.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would imagine the loan fee we get for Martin would.cover this transfer fee which would be good business.

Also worth noting that the chanves are Bent will be gone this summer if not this Jan, Winnall will go back to Sheff Weds and Martin may leave which would just leave us with Nugent up front, so on that point Jerome would be a good signing still.

Would expect it to be 2 1/2 deal max though

38 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's definitely a puzzle. However:

• I don't believe Jerome would take a big drop in wages to join us.
  • He's been under contract as a once-Premier-League striker meaning he'll likely be on a bigger contract than the rest of our lads.
  • And Nixon a few days ago commented on his massive wages.

It seems logical to think he would come as the highest-paid player in the squad. Or certainly right up there with the very biggest earners. Is that fair to the other players who have got us into the automatic places? We had this problem under BD, with similar signings such as John Macken.

All this when we are trying to get Russell and Thorne to sign new contracts which are possibly on reduced terms 

23 minutes ago, Derbados said:

I actually get this signing, lets take a look at some of the positves to signing Jerome:

• Apparently has an excellent attitude and character, something we now have throughout the side and has served us very well
  • Has both experience in this league and has been promoted out of it, even scored the winner at Wembley 
  • Is a bully on the pitch: strong, tall, athletic - in previous years we were to powder puff for this league and got bullied out of games quite often, this season we are like the schoolyard bullys and Cameron fits that role perfectly. 
  • Last season, he scored 16 goals, we have seen players rediscover form under Rowett and improve, he could be a very valuable asset scoring vital goals in the second half of the season 
  • If he is to be used predominately as a sub striker, which i expect, there is nothing worse for an opposition defender having had Vydra and Nugent run you ragged all game to look across at the touchline to see Cameron Jerome about to come on and throw you round like a ragdoll

I for one think it will be an astute signing

Couldn't agree more exactly what we need off the bench in tight games He's one of the best for far post headers something we lack Trouble is a few on here expected Harry Kane 

I’d like Martin to stay.  But I suppose he wants to go and play. Fair enough.

Let’s hope Jerome will be the different option we hope for.

i wish both players well: Martin for his contribution in the past and Jerome for what he might do in the future.

26 minutes ago, Whoneedshuls said:

What we think 1 and a half year contract with option of another ?

About right ! He was never going to sign on a 6 month contract and "sorry Cameron we don' need you if we go up". 

Will suit GRs style of play , initially wouldn't have been someone I would have picked out but it makes sense both tactically and for squad harmony . Cheap too , to say The dogs down the road paid more for Murphy, whose little premier league experience and older . 

24 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I would imagine the loan fee we get for Martin would.cover this transfer fee which would be good business.

Also worth noting that the chanves are Bent will be gone this summer if not this Jan, Winnall will go back to Sheff Weds and Martin may leave which would just leave us with Nugent up front, so on that point Jerome would be a good signing still.

Would expect it to be 2 1/2 deal max though

Dcfc. Don't worry about the transfer fee the Man U fans have bought him for us ?

Just now, Kernow said:

Just another point. Cast your minds back to 2014/15. We were hit with injury problems whereby our back-up options did not suit our style of play. Instead of altering our style of play which was previously working well, we stuck with it and began dropping off because we no longer had the suitable players.

Bournemouth signed Kenwyne Jones. Was he the best striker in the league? Not at all. Did he suit their style? Most definitely. He didn't grab too many goals but they had a squad player who played the way they played and they ended up getting promoted.

If we lost one of Nugent or Winnall, then we'd have Martin left to play up front. No doubting his ability at this level, but his ability to play in our current system could potentially cost us a lot. GR is being proactive here. He's trying to address a problem before it happens so we're prepared. I'm not jumping up and down with excitement at the thought of Jerome being signed, but I can fully understand the reasoning behind it and I think he could be very useful to us when it comes to seeing off our rivals for that automatic promotion place.

Quite right. It's an astute piece of risk management. 

He might not feature any more than CM. He might not contribute more than CM in goals and assists.

But on the other hand. .....if nugent flags further,  winnall loses form then GRs strategy is not immediately derailed. 

6 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Surely Jerome is more of a threat to Winall than Martin. Maybe it's Winall that's not happy and wants  to go back to Sheffield figuring hell get more starts under the new regime there? 

Could be right with that. He surely can't be happy with being dropped after playing a starring role in the win at Ipswich. He's possibly had a chat with GR along those lines. 

My first instinct was that I didn't like the sound of it, but then if you'd told me that by this point in the season Chris Baird would be starting and that Weimann would have played 15 games I'd have been deeply concerned, but Garry Rowett has got good performances from them (and everyone else). If he can do that with Jerome natural attributes (as he did with Donaldson) then he could be a useful option

TobyWanKenobi

I'm sure Jerome will come in and do well, but I'm still a little dissapointed. I would rather see us bring in a younger player who will forge a long career with us rather than someone coming in for a season or 2.

That said, the plan I'm sure is to be promoted either this season or next, then make the big long term signings, so it makes sense, and Jerome will help with that.

Archived