Cameron Jerome - Signed 18 month deal

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

The Norwich fans are basically glad they had him and glad he’s moving on and surprised to be getting £2 million for him, if he comes we can only hope he does enough to help our promotion push 

But 6 Million was on offer last July 

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-city-should-not-sell-striker-cameron-jerome-to-a-championship-rival-and-here-are-the-stats-to-prove-why-1-5115749

5 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

You believe after all the talk from Mel and Gary about being sensible this season and trying to remain in profit that they'd abandon all that and sign a striker who isn't likely to be 1st choice and then give him better wages than everyone in the team? 

It's definitely a puzzle. However:

• I don't believe Jerome would take a big drop in wages to join us.
  • He's been under contract as a once-Premier-League striker meaning he'll likely be on a bigger contract than the rest of our lads.
  • And Nixon a few days ago commented on his massive wages.

It seems logical to think he would come as the highest-paid player in the squad. Or certainly right up there with the very biggest earners. Is that fair to the other players who have got us into the automatic places? We had this problem under BD, with similar signings such as John Macken.

10 minutes ago, curtains said:

Jerome has scored 40 goals in 120 matches since he joined City from Stoke in a deal worth around £1.5m in August 2014 – a strike-rate of one in every three games.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's definitely a puzzle. However:

• I don't believe Jerome would take a big drop in wages to join us.
  • He's been under contract as a once-Premier-League striker meaning he'll likely be on a bigger contract than the rest of our lads.
  • And Nixon a few days ago commented on his massive wages.

It seems logical to think he would come as the highest-paid player in the squad. Or certainly right up there with the very biggest earners. Is that fair to the other players who have got us into the automatic places? We had this problem under BD, with similar signings such as John Macken.

I assume he'd have probably had some clause which involved a wage drop after relegation, although he would probably still be on top end Championship wages. We don't know all the details though, he could join on lesser wages with a guaranteed large increase should we go up. He has the option to stay and not do much at Norwich until his deal runs out in 2019 or take the gamble and sign on lesser wages, but with the chance of earning more should we go up. I'm probably wrong, but it's certainly a possibility. We were able to persuade Huddlestone and Davies to move from their once-Premier-League contracts and now it's looking like Jerome too. We can't just be offering all of these players 40k + a week wages, so I don't think it's just as simple as he used to play in the Prem so he must be on huge wages and we're offering the same if not better. 

Fair enough move I suppose, wasn’t what we all wanted on the face of it, but he does offer something different up front. Wages present a concern but really should we be that concerned about that as fans, the fee seems fair enough. As long as Martin isn’t allowed to go on loan to a promotion rival we’re ok.

I actually get this signing, lets take a look at some of the positves to signing Jerome:

• Apparently has an excellent attitude and character, something we now have throughout the side and has served us very well
  • Has both experience in this league and has been promoted out of it, even scored the winner at Wembley 
  • Is a bully on the pitch: strong, tall, athletic - in previous years we were to powder puff for this league and got bullied out of games quite often, this season we are like the schoolyard bullys and Cameron fits that role perfectly. 
  • Last season, he scored 16 goals, we have seen players rediscover form under Rowett and improve, he could be a very valuable asset scoring vital goals in the second half of the season 
  • If he is to be used predominately as a sub striker, which i expect, there is nothing worse for an opposition defender having had Vydra and Nugent run you ragged all game to look across at the touchline to see Cameron Jerome about to come on and throw you round like a ragdoll

I for one think it will be an astute signing

He suits a Rowett team better than Martin does and I think he would get a few goals for us. Whenever he plays us he seems to be in good positions and I can remember a few tap-ins he's had.

I highly doubt CJ is the sole target here. A list was probably drawn up of players who we could both afford and were willing to possibly be third choice. If CJ is the best on that list, then I trust the judgement of Rowett and his team. The only issue I have would be with how we get rid of Martin in response to this. Sell him. Loaning him out, especially towards a team towards the top of the league makes very little sense for us.

Just another point. Cast your minds back to 2014/15. We were hit with injury problems whereby our back-up options did not suit our style of play. Instead of altering our style of play which was previously working well, we stuck with it and began dropping off because we no longer had the suitable players.

Bournemouth signed Kenwyne Jones. Was he the best striker in the league? Not at all. Did he suit their style? Most definitely. He didn't grab too many goals but they had a squad player who played the way they played and they ended up getting promoted.

If we lost one of Nugent or Winnall, then we'd have Martin left to play up front. No doubting his ability at this level, but his ability to play in our current system could potentially cost us a lot. GR is being proactive here. He's trying to address a problem before it happens so we're prepared. I'm not jumping up and down with excitement at the thought of Jerome being signed, but I can fully understand the reasoning behind it and I think he could be very useful to us when it comes to seeing off our rivals for that automatic promotion place.

8 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Just another point. Cast your minds back to 2014/15. We were hit with injury problems whereby our back-up options did not suit our style of play. Instead of altering our style of play which was previously working well, we stuck with it and began dropping off because we no longer had the suitable players.

Bournemouth signed Kenwyne Jones. Was he the best striker in the league? Not at all. Did he suit their style? Most definitely. He didn't grab too many goals but they had a squad player who played the way they played and they ended up getting promoted.

If we lost one of Nugent or Winnall, then we'd have Martin left to play up front. No doubting his ability at this level, but his ability to play in our current system could potentially cost us a lot. GR is being proactive here. He's trying to address a problem before it happens so we're prepared. I'm not jumping up and down with excitement at the thought of Jerome being signed, but I can fully understand the reasoning behind it and I think he could be very useful to us when it comes to seeing off our rivals for that automatic promotion place.

Wasn't overly keen on Cameron Jerome coming myself but this actually makes a bit of sense :)

I guess that means Chris Martin is going now though, hopefully to a Reading or similar and not a promotion rival.

Have taken a bit of a look at the type of player he is and I’m quite pleased with the thought of signing him , he can offer something different but also think he could cover the nuge role if needed , he can get his head on crosses and corners and hold up the ball too also looks like he will really bully defenders in terms of pressing and defending from the front for me he brings far more to the party in this rowett style team than Chris Martin ( not about whose better but rather better fit for the players we already have) who is kind of been limited to the odd good flick and pass late on in games ,,,, now on to Martin ,, no way loan him to Cardiff as they are real competition for second spot with us but loan him to Leeds ? Well I don’t think that is out of the question as we must be looking at being confident enough in our own team not to be ousted from the play offs by Leeds and the rest surely? Then if we don’t get second and Leeds make play offs he can’t play against us anyway ,,, worth checking Leeds fixtures to see if he could do damage to Cardiff ,Bristol and villa for us with Leeds ?  

Rowett is no mug and I trust him 

Archived