Cameron Jerome - Signed 18 month deal

DcFc Dyycheee

Still kind of puzzled by this move, but I'll trust we know what we're doing and take it as read Martin's on the move.

But then, if it helps what GR wants in the team, then hopefully it works out.

10 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Also a youngster compared to Donaldson and Clarke at the Blades. Could be the signing that we look back on as crucial.

Could well be. My spidey-sense just insn't feeling this though. If we were after a midfield equivalent of this signing i'd see it more obviously.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

I was there yesterday, if you watched him for the 20 mins or so he was on, he didn’t look as sharp as he did at the start of the season. It’s natural and part of having older strikers. Doesn’t mean he still can’t contribute like he did at the end yesterday but it’s becoming increasingly obvious that he can’t play full 90’s for us anymore, particularly when the striker is expected to do so much running in Rowett’s system.

Just because he got an assist off the bench yesterday doesn’t mean he’s suddenly 28 again.

He was never the quickest, however he makes up for that with a footballing brain...he won’t lose that with age

If we want a big powerful athletic striker to lead the line we could look at signing Michal Krmenčík, a 24 year old who plays for the Czech Republc now and I'd hope would forge a great partnership with Vydra who has started winning recalls back to the Czech squad after his form this season. Eleven goals in 1170 minutes in the Czech top flight this season so he's proved almost as prolific in goals per minute as Matej, as well as bagging 6 in 10 internationals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michal_Krmenčík

A promising 24 year old with everything to prove or a 31 year old whose legs have gone and wants his final pay packet?

Very decent player , scored a fair few and a few assists too. I guess an alternative to Martin on the bench or rotating with Nuge and Winnall.  

So many people missing the point here. I accept he wouldn't be the future of DCFC's strike force however, we're looking at a striker who might help us achieve promotion - that's our current goal. If and when we get promoted we'll need to upgrade our strike force anyway.

If GR thinks Jerome can do a job here, then so do I.

5 hours ago, Doodle said:

If he turns out to be half the player, the last forward we signed from Norwich has. 2 million is an absolute bargain 

I’m not good at maths but even I know that 2 million for half of zero is bad business 

3 hours ago, richgee1976 said:

So many people missing the point here. I accept he wouldn't be the future of DCFC's strike force however, we're looking at a striker who might help us achieve promotion - that's our current goal. If and when we get promoted we'll need to upgrade our strike force anyway.

If GR thinks Jerome can do a job here, then so do I.

What you mean is this is a similar transfer to when Boro signed Rhodes to secure promotion and get them over the line then fob him off?

We already have that striker in our ranks to nick us 2-3 vital goals.... secure promotion then tara.. Mr Darren Bent.

2 minutes ago, Sat Atwal said:

What you mean is this is a similar transfer to when Boro signed Rhodes to secure promotion and get them over the line then fob him off?

We already have that striker in our ranks to nick us 2-3 vital goals.... secure promotion then tara.. Mr Darren Bent.

Guaranteed to come on and score the winner against villa in a few weeks to keep us second :);) 

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

If we want a big powerful athletic striker to lead the line we could look at signing Michal Krmenčík, a 24 year old who plays for the Czech Republc now and I'd hope would forge a great partnership with Vydra who has started winning recalls back to the Czech squad after his form this season. Eleven goals in 1170 minutes in the Czech top flight this season so he's proved almost as prolific in goals per minute as Matej, as well as bagging 6 in 10 internationals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michal_Krmenčík

A promising 24 year old with everything to prove or a 31 year old whose legs have gone and wants his final pay packet?

Your right in some ways but also need to take into account the fact that if we are looking for a jan striker purchase with priority to get derby over the promotion line , taking a young player from lower league or another country can and very often has a settling in adjusting period and although perhaps a good buy long term could very possibly and understandably be ineffective for the vital remainder of a promotion chasing season ,,, perhaps Gary is looking for somebody who knows the division , has won promotion from it and has more chance of coming in and hitting the ground running ,

cant say I know much about Jerome but I’m comfortable to trust rowett s judgment on what we need to secure promotion and I’m pretty sure that is the overriding priority in all things derby for rowett and Mel just now

After players such as Martin, Bent, Ince, Eustace and many more, I'm going to reserve opinion until I've seen him for a few games. As with certainly Ince, Vydra and Martin, certain players can look magical in some systems and look like donkeys in others. Providing they've shown at least glimpse's elsewhere I'm going to defer to the managers judgement and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

8 hours ago, Sat Atwal said:

Jerome offers more in general play than Darren bent, so might be useful to rotate with nugent.

29 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

After players such as Martin, Bent, Ince, Eustace and many more, I'm going to reserve opinion until I've seen him for a few games. As with certainly Ince, Vydra and Martin, certain players can look magical in some systems and look like donkeys in others. Providing they've shown at least glimpse's elsewhere I'm going to defer to the managers judgement and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Exactly, my gut feeling is to say what a poor signing this would be and he would be my 5th choice striker so a waste of money...but currently how can you question GR's judgement???

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Exactly, my gut feeling is to say what a poor signing this would be and he would be my 5th choice striker so a waste of money...but currently how can you question GR's judgement???

I’m looking at this  as a free transfer - martin loaned out, with a fee of £1 million (based on the £2million it cost Fulham for a season), spend the money on Jerome. 

End of the season we will still have two strikers we can sell, hence money goes back in the pot 

On 1/13/2018 at 23:23, Carl Sagan said:

Appalled this has raised its head again. A poor ageing striker who doesn't score and has never ever impressed and all the Norwich fans think he's well past it. This would be a shocking waste of Mel's money and unnecessarily potentially disruptive regarding the squad.

Come on - Surely this is just a huge exaggeration. If he signed and was that player who just chipped in with the odd goal here and there, that would be great. Just grab us a couple of points for what is a poultry fee in this market right now. 

Come on - Trust Rowett, he hasn't really put a foot wrong with the signings he has already made has he?

4 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

Come on - Surely this is just a huge exaggeration. If he signed and was that player who just chipped in with the odd goal here and there, that would be great. Just grab us a couple of points for what is a poultry fee in this market right now. 

Chicken feed?

Just now, Mr Giggles said:

Come on - Trust Rowett, he hasn't really put a foot wrong with the signings he has already made has he?

I think this rumour may yet come home to roost and he turns out to be eggsactly what we need :lol:

Archived