'Panic Buy'

DCFC1388

3 hours ago, David said:

Worth remembering the reasons behind Johnson and Butterfield signing was the long term injuries to Bryson and Hughes, had we not signed them your left with just Hendrick and Thorne. 

Panic? Probably but then you don't really prepare to lose 2 CM's for that length of time in the first month of the season, had it not been these 2 they would still fall under the panic buy category.

Johnson was clearly a panic buy because a modicum of scouting would have been able to tell you he wasn't going to be suited to the possession based system Clement was building. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cannable said:

We literally only found out about BJ's availability the night before we signed him and his skillset was abundtly juxtaposed to the style of football we wanted.

Somebody really did deserve the sack for that signing. 

What truly annoys me about this one is that it was easy to know he wasn't going to fit. One look at his passing accuracy at Norwich is all you needed to know to not buy him for a possession based system.

Panic buying is buying something in a panic!

Anyway, didn't we buy half the players from a management syndicate or something, so it wasn't panic buying?

When I panic buy something it is usually down to time pressure, or a fear of missing out on a good buy/ deal. Buying something more quickly than I feel comfortable doing. Perhaps an unplanned purchase.

Does that definition also apply to buying football players?

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

So if we don't buy anyone, GR & MM will get slated for not improving the side further.

If we do sign anyone, it'll be classed as a stupid, panic buy.

Yep you got it.

1 hour ago, mwram1973 said:

So if we don't buy anyone, GR & MM will get slated for not improving the side further.

If we do sign anyone, it'll be classed as a stupid, panic buy.

In a word, yes! :lol:

Not that I agree with either statement, but the state of some of the fans is nothing short of petulant. Horrible.

The phrase 'panic buy' seems only to be used in a derogatory or negative sense.  There must be examples out there of players bought on deadline day, or as a reaction to an event (e.g. your central midfield being decimated in one match), who have turned out to be excellent signings. 

Buying somebody on deadline day doesn't automatically qualify somebody to be a panic buy and, to be honest, a lot of us (me included) love to see signings being made - part of the interest - and while I'd do away with transfer windows and go back to the old system of being able to carry out transfers for most of the season, I quite like the potential to be signing somebody today even if we have already signed five players; panic buy or not.

21 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

What actually classes as a panic buy? Is it down to the fee involved? If so what kind of fee would be classed as a panic buy? Or is it down to us never being linked until last minute? Or just something else?

If we got Jota for 6m would it be a panic buy or only if we paid 8m?

Is there such a thing as panic selling as well? Selling players under value juat to reduce squad size?

Panic selling .... brilliant, want to hear this being used today :lol:

1 hour ago, CumbrianRam said:

Anyone know a panic buy which worked out?

On the way to the girlfriends with no flowers, that resulted in a panic buy I can tell you . Worked out ok once I took the Shell garage price tag off 

Archived