Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

Let Rowett build his team. 

The time to move him on will be if in a year or twos time it's still not cohesive or if, much like under Clough, it's a good group and he himself is holding it back.

Exactly. Some common sense.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without hindsight we aren't going to know if GR is up to the job. At the moment I would guess that there is a pretty even three way split of opinion. One third think yes, one third no and one third don't know. I personally am hoping, pushing towards feeling, that he is. He talks very well. Many have said that this is part of the problem. He talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. I have to agree with that at least up to now. However, if he knows where the problems lie it's easier to fix than if you are totally in the dark. Yes, he should have brought runners into midfield, and preferably early. We don't know though why he didn't. Maybe we couldn't persuade them to come? Maybe we couldn't afford them to come this window? Perhaps, we need to remove more "dead wood" and then we can bring in that stellar signing we were almost promised. I like Gary. I liked him as a player. I've been impressed with him as a manager in his other jobs. I really do think that he needs time. A few wins and flashes of what he is trying to achieve wouldn't come amiss, but at least give him the opportunity.

13 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

How many of our current squad was brought in by McClaren?

Thorne... Who else?

To say Mac created this mess is barmy. He only had one summer transfer window where the main arrivals were Thorne and Christie, the latter being sold for a tidy profit.

Nugent as well. Could be argued that we would not have signed Wisdom if Mac did not bring him in loan.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Depends how the game is played. If you want to control the game it's the most important position on the pitch.

It is but my point is it shouldn't be restricted to one player... one goes one stays else it becomes predictable.. keep the opposition guessing and if you have a holding player with no pace they tend to play just in front of the centre backs leaving central mid too open and you get over ran- sheff u Bristol c ...if you've got pace you hold higher up the pitch and play at a higher tempo..meaning you squeeze the opposition.. Derbys cm is slow and predictable easy to play against

Rowett has neglected midfield and will now pay the consequences. It's not enough to say they should show more commitment. He hasn't got the right players to play in his system. The only option he's got now away from home is a 532 damage limitation 

4 hours ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Clough Senior, Cox and the Bald Eagle cast long shadows ....

..... But we have almost had ten games (you can tell what kind of season you are going to have after 10 I always reckon) and we are 15th. A loss and I will start getting a bit nervous.

I always feel a bit nauseous when we are on 11 pts.

Very much so, but if we had internet forums back when these chaps first started we would might have been calling for them to be sacked. Clough and Cox didnt pull up any trees in their first season, although i admit i dont really know the circumstances and the quality of teams they had, but certainly Jim Smith if we had been judging him 8 games into his first season we would be certainly having these same conversations.

Just now, Paul71 said:

Very much so, but if we had internet forums back when these chaps first started we would might have been calling for them to be sacked. Clough and Cox didnt pull up any trees in their first season, although i admit i dont really know the circumstances and the quality of teams they had, but certainly Jim Smith if we had been judging him 8 games into his first season we would be certainly having these same conversations.

All of Clough's players were 12 ft tall, could run at 100mph and could kill dinosaurs with their bare hands:)

You are quite right. But then the money wasn't in the game then. The wealthy owners were nothing like the ones we have now.

I think he should have not been so glass half full (of champagne) at the start of the season. I bet if we got a Benitez or an 'Arry it would be far more shrug-of -shoulders and 'we'll see.'

Just now, WhiteHorseRam said:

All of Clough's players were 12 ft tall, could run at 100mph and could kill dinosaurs with their bare hands:)

You are quite right. But then the money wasn't in the game then. The wealthy owners were nothing like the ones we have now.

I think he should have not been so glass half full (of champagne) at the start of the season. I bet if we got a Benitez or an 'Arry it would be far more shrug-of -shoulders and 'we'll see.'

I beg to differ a bit with Jim Smiths days. He took over a very expensive team (for the day).

He also got to sign Igor Stimac in November for i think about £1.5 million, imagine what that would be in todays terms, considering Shearer was world record ay a similar time for £15 million i would think £1.5 million then is equivilant to at least £10 million in todays terms.

12 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I beg to differ a bit with Jim Smiths days. He took over a very expensive team (for the day).

He also got to sign Igor Stimac in November for i think about £1.5 million, imagine what that would be in todays terms, considering Shearer was world record ay a similar time for £15 million i would think £1.5 million then is equivilant to at least £10 million in todays terms.

Could be. Found this just .......

www.measuringworth.com

Apparently £1 in 1995 is now the equivalent of ....

Current data is only available till 2016. In 2016, the relative priceworth of £1.00 from 1995 is:

£1.76 using the retail price index

£1.51 using the GDP deflator

Current data is only available till 2016. In 2016, the relative wage or income worth of £1.00 from 1995 is:

£1.97 using the average earnings

£2.05 using the per capita GDP

Current data is only available till 2016. In 2016, the relative outputworth of £1.00 from 1995 is:

£2.32 using the share of GDP

2 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Could be. Found this just .......

www.measuringworth.com

Apparently £1 in 1995 is now the equivalent of ....

Current data is only available till 2016. In 2016, the relative priceworth of £1.00 from 1995 is:

£1.76 using the retail price index

£1.51 using the GDP deflator

Current data is only available till 2016. In 2016, the relative wage or income worth of £1.00 from 1995 is:

£1.97 using the average earnings

£2.05 using the per capita GDP

Current data is only available till 2016. In 2016, the relative outputworth of £1.00 from 1995 is:

£2.32 using the share of GDP

And I think football itself has its own accumulator.

Im pretty sure when Short signed a couple of seasons earlier for about 2.5 million it was a world record for a defender, or maybe a british record i cant remember but what would that be now?

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

And I think football itself has its own accumulator.

Im pretty sure when Short signed a couple of seasons earlier for about 2.5 million it was a world record for a defender, or maybe a british record i cant remember but what would that be now?

It sure has.

Prem League founded in 1992, never looked back. Shows the difference between the real world and football (although house prices in some areas etc just as crazy) 

The website is worth looking at.

6 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

It sure has.

Prem League founded in 1992, never looked back. Shows the difference between the real world and football (although house prices in some areas etc just as crazy) 

The website is worth looking at.

:)

So i think my point is im sure we were all writing off Jim Smith and look what he did, no idea if Rowett will do the same, my gut feeling is not this season but he doesnt have the benefit of making a November multi million pound signing.

I dont know if hes good enough, its just far too early to tell and history confirms this.

In fact just checked and guess how many points Billy Davies had after 8 games.

7 hours ago, Dimmu said:

This is perhaps the thing which irritates me the most. Vydra was closed down well and unfortunately it's not very hard to do. This game would have been perfect for overlapping fullbacks, but looks like they are not allowed to do so. I'm not expecting Baird to marauder down the line, but Olsson's strengths are in the attacking end. We look like a team with one-dimensional attacking, which is too easy to defend to against.

You make a very good point about  our full backs.

Overlapping attack minded full backs is the way i'd like us to go as it creates a lot with the right personnel but selling Christie was a sure sign that wasn't how we was going to be playing.:(

34 minutes ago, Saity said:

You make a very good point about  our full backs.

Overlapping attack minded full backs is the way i'd like us to go as it creates a lot with the right personnel but selling Christie was a sure sign that wasn't how we was going to be playing.:(

I would always prefer a defender who can also attack, rather than an attacker who can also defend. I would put Wisdom in the first category and Christie in the second. I like Baird very much and think that he deserved to retain his place, but will be happier overall when Wisdom is back in the team.

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

I would always prefer a defender who can also attack, rather than an attacker who can also defend. I would put Wisdom in the first category and Christie in the second. I like Baird very much and think that he deserved to retain his place, but will be happier overall when Wisdom is back in the team.

All are better than someone like clod Davies who couldn't defend or attack.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

:)

So i think my point is im sure we were all writing off Jim Smith and look what he did, no idea if Rowett will do the same, my gut feeling is not this season but he doesnt have the benefit of making a November multi million pound signing.

I dont know if hes good enough, its just far too early to tell and history confirms this.

In fact just checked and guess how many points Billy Davies had after 8 games.

Just watching the Brentford preview,it's very hard not to like rowett...he's refreshingly honest but he needs to learn and adapt fast and string some results together.

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Just watching the Brentford preview,it's very hard not to like rowett...he's refreshingly honest but he needs to learn and adapt fast and string some results together.

Right now I don't even want to hear what he has to say, just want the football to start doing the talking. 

Finding it very hard to believe anything he actually says.

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Agree lots of good talk. Where's the walk?

Seems to me the longer he's here the more the gaps appear between what he says and says he'll do, to what he actually does. If we can see it so can the players.

7 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He's a brilliant talker, no doubt. I have always admired his ability to wax lyrical; I am though starting to find a disconnect between his words and his subsequent action/behaviour. Perhaps the motto " it's always better to under-promise and over-deliver " should be etched on his office wall. He raises expectations too readily and egg has begun to drip from his chin....I think he can turn it around but I really don't like the ugly football being dished up. I really don't like the game being reduced to pragmatics and percentages. It's an art and not a science. 

Archived