Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I think Forsyth has a future, needs to be fit hes had two seasons out but still think hes the better of our two main left backs.

Would still like Russell to stay but not sure after yesterdays comments.

Shackell I agree seems like he has no future.

I think he will still be restricted as some of our players are out only on loan so we might even have to wait until next seasons window.

I would rather him do that than us spend over the top on panic buys in January. If we are hovering around mid table unless the absolute right player comes along then leave it.

I shiver when I hear the phrase 'panic buy'.

It would be a lovely change to identify players who will make a big difference and do whatever it takes to get them in.

We always seem to end up with second or third choice players who add to numbers but not necessarily quality.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, rynny said:

So no other player could generate any money what so ever? Ffs we got £2.5m for Christie and replaced him with a better player for the same initial cost. We could have picked up fees for other players also. We did not beed to sell 2 of our best players, in the same window, especially so early.

Also how are you to improve if you keep the same weak links? No point changing the better players as the same problems are going to exist.

We didn't need to sign Hudds and Davies - our own young hungry Elsnick could have stayed here, Pearce could play. If Wisdom was that important why leave him on the bench?

Young, hungry players, how much do you think we'll pay in January if £10m was touted as the figure turned down for Adams?

1 hour ago, Mistaram said:

You have to smile at some of the posters on here the people who can't or won't try to understanding what Rowett is trying to do are the very same people who were criticising our tippy tappy pass it back type football 

Sorry, but what is Gary trying to do? I don't know. And I doubt you know.

8 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

You have to smile at some of the posters on here the people who can't or won't try to understanding what Rowett is trying to do are the very same people who were criticising our tippy tappy pass it back type football 

I'd love to understand but I am confused by the apparent contradiction between what is said and what is done.

What's your take on what he's trying to do? Not the shifting of deadwood - I get that - but what's his ultimate team shape and style going to be?

17 minutes ago, rynny said:

So no other player could generate any money what so ever? Ffs we got £2.5m for Christie and replaced him with a better player for the same initial cost. We could have picked up fees for other players also. We did not beed to sell 2 of our best players, in the same window, especially so early.

Also how are you to improve if you keep the same weak links? No point changing the better players as the same problems are going to exist.

Never got the fuss over Wisdom. We paid 4 million quids for him only for a veteran to outperform him in Baird, sorry Bird. 

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We didn't need to sign Hudds and Davies - our own young hungry Elsnick could have stayed here, Pearce could play. If Wisdom was that important why leave him on the bench?

Young, hungry players, how much do you think we'll pay in January if £10m was touted as the figure turned down for Adams?

Did you not see my other post that questioned the signing of Hudds and Davies?

I was questioning the logic of selling Hughes and Ince, and stated that the weaker links in the team get replaced first, to me RB and LB needed an upgrade, we got Wisdom for Christie which I believe is, Wisdom isn't playing because Baird performed ok against Hull and Gary decided for one reason or another to keep the same team as Bristol, you will have to ask him why. I expect Wisdom to be back in on Tuesday.

We need to be smart in the window and not just go for the "names" we need to find some gems to need some polishing, I much prefer to get players in with something to prove, it is the one thing that I liked about Clough (obviously need to sign one stellar player a season but even then we got a good deal for Lawrence considering Brum wanted £10m for Adams).

I would be happy to see a Guy/Elsnik on the bench, and if they perform in the starting 11, would love a matchday squad of 18 academy players, if they were good enough.

19 minutes ago, rynny said:

These players also wanted to leave, should we keep hold of players that no longer want to be here? Ideal world you do that, they are under contract, you're not going anywhere.

Players will be footballers, they are capable of throwing tantrums with the best of fans. 

Best player or not, theres the door. I'm sure we've probably got more still at the club that would prefer to be elsewhere but unless someone pulled the phone line out no bids were made. 

Why not sell them early? You want to go, fine, get your agent to ring around and let clubs know you are available, we'll sit here and wait for the offers. If only one club comes back in for them it's impossible to create a bidding war, play clubs against each other to get the most out. You take what you think is fair and you can get and allow your manager to move on.

1 minute ago, David said:

These players also wanted to leave, should we keep hold of players that no longer want to be here? Ideal world you do that, they are under contract, you're not going anywhere.

Players will be footballers, they are capable of throwing tantrums with the best of fans. 

Best player or not, theres the door. I'm sure we've probably got more still at the club that would prefer to be elsewhere but unless someone pulled the phone line out no bids were made. 

Why not sell them early? You want to go, fine, get your agent to ring around and let clubs know you are available, we'll sit here and wait for the offers. If only one club comes back in for them it's impossible to create a bidding war, play clubs against each other to get the most out. You take what you think is fair and you can get and allow your manager to move on.

Did they want to leave before there was interest? Did they want to leave after they were told that an offer had come in and the club were happy with the offer? Was there no way we could persuade them to stay?

It will always feel rushed that we got them out the door so early.

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Did they want to leave before there was interest? Did they want to leave after they were told that an offer had come in and the club were happy with the offer? Was there no way we could persuade them to stay?

It will always feel rushed that we got them out the door so early.

That would need an open and honest conversation with each player which is unlikely to happen. Rushed or pushed we will never know, but both did not sound like players that were unhappy to be leaving. Paul Ince was even talking up Tom for Premier League football saying that's where he should be whilst here.

Let's not forget that Hughes rarely featured for us in the backend of last season, dropped under McClaren and wasn't reintroduced by Rowett for reasons unknown. Play your best players right? Why wasn't we?

52 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Great post someone who has took the trouble look to the future  Rowett is taking the flack for past signings he's obviously having to play players he doesn't want to He came out yesterday and said January will be very busy for the club Its obvious Shackel Russell and probably Forsyth have no future at the club 

Yeah because that won't be the first time he's said something and the opposite has occurred. I think the bloke is full of it personally.

Every manager that takes on a new job has to play players they'd rather not, how long has it taken for the new Wolves manager to get his team playing all right ? Pretty sure Rowett was with us well before he took over there.

29 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Never got the fuss over Wisdom. We paid 4 million quids for him only for a veteran to outperform him in Baird, sorry Bird. 

Disagree. Until he was left out I think he was mind blowingly good and I'm saying that as Christies biggest fan on this forum. Wisdom shouldn't ever be left out of the team - with respect to Baird because he's been solid. 

1 minute ago, Beenafanforever said:

is Rowatt up to the job,look where we are in the table-definitely not !

So did you think Jim smith did a good job?

30 minutes ago, rynny said:

Did you not see my other post that questioned the signing of Hudds and Davies?

I was questioning the logic of selling Hughes and Ince, and stated that the weaker links in the team get replaced first, to me RB and LB needed an upgrade, we got Wisdom for Christie which I believe is, Wisdom isn't playing because Baird performed ok against Hull and Gary decided for one reason or another to keep the same team as Bristol, you will have to ask him why. I expect Wisdom to be back in on Tuesday.

I probably did see your post about Hudds & Davies, I was just reiterating it with regards to 'young, hungry players' in Hudds part and 'spending money for no reason' in Davies part.

With regard to Hughes, Ince and Christie they could read the writing on the wall and were no doubt happy to leave. I can't believe the mess that has been made of midfield by Rowett, if it was unbalanced before it's threadbare and unbalanced now, leaving only one way of playing?

He's smart. He's retooling the team. Rome. Not in a day. It's our destiny. Rowett will prove himself better than all except Brian Clough and the equal or better of Jim Smith, given time.

And as a sign of his prowess in the market, think about this: he got us Winnall for Butterfield!!!!  Winnall for .... Butterfield!!! Think about that!!!! :D 

24 minutes ago, David said:

That would need an open and honest conversation with each player which is unlikely to happen. Rushed or pushed we will never know, but both did not sound like players that were unhappy to be leaving. Paul Ince was even talking up Tom for Premier League football saying that's where he should be whilst here.

Let's not forget that Hughes rarely featured for us in the backend of last season, dropped under McClaren and wasn't reintroduced by Rowett for reasons unknown. Play your best players right? Why wasn't we?

Paul Ince says a lot of things though, lkke the choosing Hull over Inter Milan.

Agreed it would, just saying what it looks like from outside the club.

Thought he was dropped under mac because of the injury against Leicester and wasn't 100% after that. You will have to ask Gary why he didn't play him, possibly he had made his mind up that he was selling him, fitness, didn't suit his tactics? Who knows.

Archived