Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

When he wasn't Derby Boss Rowett was one of the best up and coming managers. Now he his he's poo. I think we might still get top six. He's still trying to find a team and a way of playing that will give us results. To be honest that might not be until next season but people need to give him time to do that or it's back to square one.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, David said:

He was going to be the legs in midfield to win the ball back, something we don't have. Hard to do anything without the ball. 

But didn't we only move for him very late in the window,  once a number of attempts to sign Davies fell through?

And after considerable effort and focus was expended on getting lawrence over the line.

We had signed huddlestone early so presumably Gary had clear line of sight as to what complementary skills would be needed in midfield. To then limit your efforts to getting in a couple of brum players- one of whom doesn't make their bench - strikes me as very careless at best.

By extension,  if that issue has been created and allowed to persist without remedy, I  don't see why there should be a lot of expressed optimism that another couple of windows will sort us out.

You can imagine a scenario in which 2 more windows leaves us worse off than now!

15 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I'd take just seeing some nice football. 3 passes strung together, a nice passage of play, players looking comfortable with the ball, a good shot on goal forcing the keeping to save...that kind of thing. 

We've shown flashes of that this season.

Give Rowett 2 more windows to properly shape his squad, and he'll knock that out of them!

We are very much a work in progress at the minute & I expect inconsistency for some time yet. Two games ago we battered a recently relegated Premiership team, now we're supposedly clueless. Sometimes a team will just click after weeks/months of seemingly looking aimless - expecting incremental improvements is unrealistic, football isn't like that.

Lets look at a wider context & observe the sides who have gone up to Premiership in recent years (other than the immediate bouncebacks) - Watford, Huddersfield, Burnley, Bournemouth, Swansea, Brighton. Seems obvious to me that the expectation at these clubs is nowhere near as high as at Derby & at none of these clubs will going up have been seen as an obligation.

Now compare our situation to other larger clubs who have been languishing in this division for years - Leeds, Sheffield Weds, Forest, Wolves (ignoring their recent form) - all with fanbases demanding success, regular managerial changes as a result of periodic poor runs of form (which ALL teams suffer from) & no real plan or long term strategy to get back into the top division.

My point is that getting hysterical about a couple of results is self-defeating. That's not to say decisions can't be criticised or questioned but this 'sack everyone' approach is just ridiculous. We need to trust Rowett to get this right (his previous record is good enough to expect him to bring success) & getting restless at the game isn't going to infuse the players with the self confidence to try things & win matches. The smaller clubs I refer to above won't have suffered from that, the larger clubs like ourselves tend to - I don't think that's a coincidence.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

He was going to be the legs for Huddz - not convinced by the idea of those two as midfield creativity.

Creativity sounds like a new buzz word since Hughes left, in that we haven't like for like replaced him.  

It's a different system now, we have 4 players ahead of the midfield that should be providing any "creativity", our forwards, Weimann, Vydra, Lawrence.

All I want from the midfield pair is to fight for the ball in the middle of the park and release our forwards. Basic stuff. Problem we have is Johnson and Huddlestone are nowhere near mobile enough and can be easily bypassed. 

We've got a Shih Tzu and a Chow Chow, we need a Jack Russell in there. That was Keith. That is now Ledley, the mind boggles as to why he didn't get any minutes on the pitch yesterday.

Wasn't overly impressed by the signing of Huddlestone at the time, said as much, wasn't taken in by the fairy tale ex Ram coming "home" story. He will pick a great pass out here and there which will lead to a goal but the other 80% of the time offers very little. 

14 minutes ago, Charlie G said:

Football is about opinions and at the start of the season I was all for GR getting some time. However he was the one who stated he was a couple of players away from the top two. All can see from the season so far is we are a mile off. He has let good footballers go without getting in his type of players. He's had all summer to do this so he is to blame. 

If I could just see a little progress I wouldn't be so harsh but there is none to find.

In my eyes the players replicate on a pitch the managers philosophy and currently all I see on the pitch is confusion.

I think thats because in garys words, we didnt do as much business as we wanted to.

and we all know the reason for that, crap players on big money that nobody is queuing up to take from us sl we couldnt bring in what we wanted

so it is what it is unfortunately til those 10 players are out of contract eos

I would feel a bit more empathy with Rowett if I could see him trying to do the things he talks about. 

If the reason we were struggling to find a pattern in our play was because we were playing young players still learning their craft . If we were showing a willingness to run ourselves into the ground for the duration of the game. If we saw players trying to do the right thing and playing the ball swiftly and accurately to each other. If we had a team spirit and players digging in to help each other out. If he hadn't gone out in the transfer window and bought exactly the type of players he said he wanted less of. 

At the moment that is all missing for me and Rowett seems like he is caught in two minds between making bold changes and playing the established stars. I think this is because he (and maybe we) can't get it out of his (our) head that this squad might still be good enough for promotion.

If he really thinks that all needs to change  and it will take a proper rebuild to get there then stop talking about it and do it! 

23 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I'd take just seeing some nice football. 3 passes strung together, a nice passage of play, players looking comfortable with the ball, a good shot on goal forcing the keeping to save...that kind of thing. 

Me too fella :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, David said:

Creativity sounds like a new buzz word since Hughes left, in that we haven't like for like replaced him.  

It's a different system now, we have 4 players ahead of the midfield that should be providing any "creativity", our forwards, Weimann, Vydra, Lawrence.

All I want from the midfield pair is to fight for the ball in the middle of the park and release our forwards. Basic stuff. Problem we have is Johnson and Huddlestone are nowhere near mobile enough and can be easily bypassed. 

We've got a Shih Tzu and a Chow Chow, we need a Jack Russell in there. That was Keith. That is now Ledley, the mind boggles as to why he didn't get any minutes on the pitch yesterday.

Wasn't overly impressed by the signing of Huddlestone at the time, said as much, wasn't taken in by the fairy tale ex Ram coming "home" story. He will pick a great pass out here and there which will lead to a goal but the other 80% of the time offers very little. 

Tell Johnson to his face that he's a chow chow - go on, I dare you! I like the dog analogy but Johnson is a Rotweiler.

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I think thats because in garys words, we didnt do as much business as we wanted to.

and we all know the reason for that, crap players on big money that nobody is queuing up to take from us sl we couldnt bring in what we wanted

so it is what it is unfortunately til those 10 players are out of contract eos

Keith from Birmingham was going to be £300k on dealine day was he seriously going to put us in financial hardship if we had got him during the summer ? 

I think we all know we didn't get the transfer window we had hoped.

There were plenty who wanted Bryson and Butterfield gone. However, what we needed was two more dynamic, young replacements who could drive the side forward. We lost out on Kieftenbeld at the last minute and then had to settle for Ledley. We are left with a group of players competing for the same position not a group who complement each other.

If we persist with 4-2-3-1 then we can't have the 3 as atackers unless they are so brilliant they are ripping sides apart. I don't think anyone believes we have those three. 

We are basically playing 4-2-4 every week with an ineffective front line and an overrun midfield two. 

With the current squad we can go one of two ways. Pick a side which is tough to beat but dull to watch with a midfield three of perhaps Johnson, Ledley and Huddlestone holding a solid and static middle (Vydra, Lawrence and Winnall picking up crumbs upfront?) or keep the current system and have results like Hull and Bristol City.

5 minutes ago, David said:

here. That was Keith. That is now Ledley, the mind boggles as to why he didn't get any minutes on the pitch yesterday.

Absolutely. 

"I was going to bring Martin on at H-T" said GR post match.

yes, the mind boggles...Ledley who is the next card to play, needs game time. He would have lifted PP...

hindsight is easy but it was the logical thing to do. 

36 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Oh I agree with you regarding sticking with a manager, I posted to that effect the other day saying somebody's got to be given the job long term, it might as well be him.

However, if I'm having my doubts about him (contradicting himself re young hungry players, no 30 somethings for a start) never mind the "we'll only sign other clubs best players" I believe was another one, I just wondered if the players may be starting to have their doubts too.

Of course, he can shift these doubters on in time and replace them with his kind of players but in the meantime I fear there's going to be a lot more abject performances dished up before then.

Agree with that buddy

he certainly said about not wanting to sign players dropping out of the prem and wanting us to bring in young fresh and hungry.... hes certainly done the polar opposite with that which im pretty disappointed by truth be told

4 minutes ago, Charlie G said:

Keith from Birmingham was going to be £300k on dealine day was he seriously going to put us in financial hardship if we had got him during the summer ? 

No obviously not but by the sounds of it it was more like an utter admin c*** up more than anything.

although it was suggested that it was left so late cos we had to get bryson out of the door so maybe our wage bill is more crippling and dehabilitating than us fans know?????

2 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

No obviously not but by the sounds of it it was more like an utter admin c*** up more than anything.

although it was suggested that it was left so late cos we had to get bryson out of the door so maybe our wage bill is more crippling and dehabilitating than us fans know?????

Might be the case but if it was then why not let Martin go to wolves instead of two midfielders out the door? It's not as if Martin is playing every week 

8 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think we all know we didn't get the transfer window we had hoped.

There were plenty who wanted Bryson and Butterfield gone. However, what we needed was two more dynamic, young replacements who could drive the side forward. We lost out on Kieftenbeld at the last minute and then had to settle for Ledley. We are left with a group of players competing for the same position not a group who complement each other.

If we persist with 4-2-3-1 then we can't have the 3 as atackers unless they are so brilliant they are ripping sides apart. I don't think anyone believes we have those three. 

We are basically playing 4-2-4 every week with an ineffective front line and an overrun midfield two. 

With the current squad we can go one of two ways. Pick a side which is tough to beat but dull to watch with a midfield three of perhaps Johnson, Ledley and Huddlestone holding a solid and static middle (Vydra, Lawrence and Winnall picking up crumbs upfront?) or keep the current system and have results like Hull and Bristol City.

That's how I see it ( keeping Butterfield would have made no difference) and with the current players we have we need to tighten up considerably so it is 442 for me with steady players in midfield starting probably with Lawrence Huddlestone Ledley Johnson and up front two from our many options 

8 minutes ago, Charlie G said:

Might be the case but if it was then why not let Martin go to wolves instead of two midfielders out the door? It's not as if Martin is playing every week 

That deal was too complicated to complete. We had to sell him to Fulham first. Just ask Ninos and Toddy. They know the ins and outs of that deal. :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Charlie G said:

Did wolves want him? Did they put an actual offer on the table or was it just alledged ITKs  trying to look clever   tabloids trying sell papers

we dont actually know do we, 

it seems so obvious doesnt it, do u not think that if there was something on the table it might have happend??

we dont and will never know, my guess is that there was no offer? Otherwise why would we gamble on letting brsyon go.... but like u im totally guessing 

Archived