Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

9 hours ago, rcarso1 said:

As I've said before it's a work in progress.You don't " write a season off" but if you're realistic you appreciate that it takes time to create a winning team.The trouble nowadays is that so called supporters demand immediate results as if to say there aren't a lot of other clubs out there with similar expectations.We are where we are.We're an average Championship club.We've got a large fan base and great training facilities but so have other clubs.Reality check is required by quite a few people,we have no divine right to dominate this division due to several seasons of failure and mismanagement.It'd be great if some people actually supported the team instead of constantly carping on about the fact the team isn't meeting their expectations,as yet.

I agree 100% we have no devine right to dominate this division, I also agree it takes times to create a winning team. However during that re-building phase you expect to see green shoots. Personally I'm not seeing anything like that, if we had a style of play emerging and we're still getting beat then fair enough but there's nothing. The 1st half yesterday was one the worst I've ever seen, not because we got hammered or played of the park, but because it was just dire, nothingness, not pattern to our play, no real formation, no urgency it was just nothing. I agree He needs time (I'm not buying the 2/3 transfer windows though) but from what I've seen so far I'm really not sure he has the ability to be a success. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

There seems to be a tacit implication that 'transition' means that things are going to have to get worse, I don't believe that is inevitable.

If it is a work in progress please identify the progress for me. I am constantly 'carping on' because I think Rowett has taken us backwards. I hope I am wrong, I hope he is the right man for the job but he has been here 6 months, were is the progress?

Your right it doesnt have to, but 8/10 times it does though doesnt it so why are we all so shocked by this.

weve wasted more than most at this level and have created a bigger mess than most so unsurprisingly its going to take more than one hamstrung by big and long contracts transfer window to sort it out

surely thats obvious 

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Your right it doesnt have to, but 8/10 times it does though doesnt it so why are we all so shocked by this.

weve wasted more than most at this level and have created a bigger mess than most so unsurprisingly its going to take more than one hamstrung by big and long contracts transfer window to sort it out

surely thats obvious 

So no progress so far then?

1 hour ago, Derbylad92 said:

I'm give him the whole of a game before some fans start calling for him but to be fair he was the 1 who sold/loaned out our best players and any team that lose 4-1 and no changes to squad/formation is a joke, I'm not one to call for managers to be sacked but like rowett when he sold Hughes he is going to be a legend or he will fail and unfortunately it's not working! Why try all those formations in pre season to never change anything

Have  you forgotten that those loaned/sold "best" players have gotten us nowhere over the past few seasons ?

6 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Have  you forgotten that those loaned/sold "best" players have gotten us nowhere over the past few seasons ?

Got us to a play off semi final and a play off final playing the best football we'd seen since Jim Smiths team. I'd take again now, wouldn't you?

15 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

So no progress so far then?

Not really no, but im a realist and probably have supported derby a bit longer than many on here and realise these things dont happen over night, yes there are exceptions as we have had outselves... smith and billy who did it overnight but they aint the norm 

im a season ticket holder and like many others have put my money in, despite that im prepared to right off an entire season because i believe come the start of next season we'll be better off for it if we instill some much needed stability and allow rowett to contine to sort out this mismash of 4 managers players out 

Being prepared to wait, be patient and not expect promotion this season is fine for me. But the question of whether Rowett is the one to bring long term improvement is a completely different issue. The decisions he has made or been involved in since the end of last season raise so many questions. We have an uninspiring management team ( Rowett et al ) . Team selections this season have been baffling , inconsistent and show NO evidence of any plan. That, along with the fiasco of the transfer window leaving us us an unbalanced squad show he is not up to it. The clock is ticking ..... whatever some fans want re stability Mel's hand will be twitching . Look at the empty seats in the ground. It was falling attendances that did for NC . Just wait for the news flash.

54 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Is there a right man for derby????

weve sacked a good proportion of the manager workforce out there lol

joking aside, why dont we just try sticking with a manager for more than five minutes then instead of collecting another 5-6 players of one managers players and moving on to the next.... adding to the bloating of our squad we just give him a few windows to fully get his players,  ideas and ethics instilled into the players 

Oh I agree with you regarding sticking with a manager, I posted to that effect the other day saying somebody's got to be given the job long term, it might as well be him.

However, if I'm having my doubts about him (contradicting himself re young hungry players, no 30 somethings for a start) never mind the "we'll only sign other clubs best players" I believe was another one, I just wondered if the players may be starting to have their doubts too.

Of course, he can shift these doubters on in time and replace them with his kind of players but in the meantime I fear there's going to be a lot more abject performances dished up before then.

48 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

What no where like boarder line playoffs or in the play offs where we gonna finish this season 12th to 16th if we r lucky the way we r going so yes our BETTER players that's why 2 have gone to the prem and bryson is scoring goals and man of the match proformances 

42 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Got us to a play off semi final and a play off final playing the best football we'd seen since Jim Smiths team. I'd take again now, wouldn't you?

I'd take just seeing some nice football. 3 passes strung together, a nice passage of play, players looking comfortable with the ball, a good shot on goal forcing the keeping to save...that kind of thing. 

1 hour ago, metalsheep02 said:

Rowett stated top 2 / top 6 in the week of the Sunderland game so Hughes and Ince were long gone and he would (should) have a fair understanding as to whether Martin, Fozzzy and Thorne were going to have an impact or not.

He stated 2 more signings would make us top 2 - presumably those were Lawrence and Kieftenbeld. i can't wait for January, only a Kieftenbeld away from top 2.

Not forgetting the quality signings he was going to make to replace them! All this talk of Keif is just hype, he wasn't going to be the midfield creativity!

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I was told yesterday we bid a deal worth 10 million for Che Adams which was turned down. No idea if that is remotely true but again he isn't one that excites me.

This and some of the others we were linked with is worrying too - don't see an end to expensive mistakes there. I'd hoped to see some cheaper foreign gems being discussed too, Keif doesn't count!

Rowett came in with a clear idea of what was needed playing wise - he'd seen enough of us to know in his own mind, it didn't take him long to drop Hughes! He also came in with all the speil about the clubs aims and the type of game(s) he was going to play. But it was all just hot air. Mel seems to have a history of falling for managers who talk a good job and sacking those who do a good one!

All those fans on about sticking with one manager for a 'long' run, why stick with Rowett when he didn't stick with Mac who ALSO said there needed to be changes?! Mel's got it wrong again.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not forgetting the quality signings he was going to make to replace them! All this talk of Keif is just hype, he wasn't going to be the midfield creativity!

He was going to be the legs in midfield to win the ball back, something we don't have. Hard to do anything without the ball. 

9 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Not really no, but im a realist and probably have supported derby a bit longer than many on here and realise these things dont happen over night, yes there are exceptions as we have had outselves... smith and billy who did it overnight but they aint the norm 

im a season ticket holder and like many others have put my money in, despite that im prepared to right off an entire season because i believe come the start of next season we'll be better off for it if we instill some much needed stability and allow rowett to contine to sort out this mismash of 4 managers players out 

Football is about opinions and at the start of the season I was all for GR getting some time. However he was the one who stated he was a couple of players away from the top two. All can see from the season so far is we are a mile off. He has let good footballers go without getting in his type of players. He's had all summer to do this so he is to blame. 

If I could just see a little progress I wouldn't be so harsh but there is none to find.

In my eyes the players replicate on a pitch the managers philosophy and currently all I see on the pitch is confusion.

13 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Of course, he can shift these doubters on in time and replace them with his kind of players but in the meantime I fear there's going to be a lot more abject performances dished up before then.

And little to nothing to convince me that there won't be just as abject ones afterwards. As has been said there's no signs of progress, no signs of effective football even!

5 minutes ago, David said:

He was going to be the legs in midfield to win the ball back, something we don't have. Hard to do anything without the ball. 

Agree that was GRs plan for , but maybe not getting rid of players that knew how to keep the ball in the first place may have been helpful, really highlighted yesterday with how often we gave it away even when we weren't playing at the high tempo GR said he wants....

2 minutes ago, David said:

Not looking for an argument or anything but why wait til the very last knockings to do the deal then ? It seems symptomatic of Rowett's tenure, "Do I really want him" ? "Shall I try for better" ? "Nah, eff it, he'll do, I'll get on the Internet and get it done"

He was only in Holland for goodness sake, if Rowett phoned him at 9 in the morning and said get yourself over here son, he could have been at the ground by 6 at the latest and done the necessary properly.

That's how I see it anyway.

Archived