Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

2 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

It's an absolute disgrace that people are questioning Rowett. The bloke lives locally, his lad is a Rams fan, he has the best idea of what we need in order to progress. He wants to change the dynamics of the squad from a team who has failed year on year playing a possession based game. 

He needs two more transfer windows at a minimum. I really can't believe people are wanting him out already. He needs to blood youth, and slash the wage bill, as well as finishing in a respectable position in the league. This is a task that any manger in world football would find difficult. 

I suggest that anyone not buying into Rowett's ideas stay away from the club. 

Keep the faith!

You don't really need to suggest that oh blindfaither...I've been supporting Derby County for 45 years and spent £660 of my hard cash on season tickets last March...if that dross is continually going to be served up I will happily stay away. I also don't buy into this idea that possession-based football is "so yesterday" and has been replaced by some kick n rush bilge...I pay money and expect a certain standard of football. Yet it just isn't happening and I don't really see it happening any time soon...LWLLD...there ain't many W's in that form pattern  and if the football was good but we're just "under-developed" but promising, I'd have patience...but it's bilge and just projects yet more bilge to come. FACT. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Sorry I disagree ,you could see what BC was trying to do and it wasn't hoof ball .He lit the club up and made it happen GR ain't fit to lick his boots.

No need to be sorry, many people disagree with me, and often.

I wasn't necessarily comparing BC and GR, I am saying that there are similarities in the situations. If anything, it could be said that Cloughie had  slightly easier problems to solve in that he didn't inherit such a bloated, overpaid squad. Neither were expectations so unrealistically high.

Before GR can bring in the players he wants, to play in the style he wants, he obviously has to move players on, no easy task.

I'm merely saying that continually sacking managers because we're not in the top six after a dozen games is insane. Rowett may or may not be the new messiah, but we've got to give the bloke a fair crack of the whip. If that means mid table for a bit, then so be it.

9 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

It's an absolute disgrace that people are questioning Rowett. The bloke lives locally, his lad is a Rams fan, he has the best idea of what we need in order to progress. He wants to change the dynamics of the squad from a team who has failed year on year playing a possession based game. 

He needs two more transfer windows at a minimum. I really can't believe people are wanting him out already. He needs to blood youth, and slash the wage bill, as well as finishing in a respectable position in the league. This is a task that any manger in world football would find difficult. 

I suggest that anyone not buying into Rowett's ideas stay away from the club. 

Keep the faith!

Whether or not he lives locally doesn't matter. He is paid to manage a football club, not be the nice young man who live round the corner.

He'll be judged on his ability to get performances and results out of this group of players. Sure, this is not his team of players and he'll want to change that, but at the moment he can't do anything about that so he has to work with what he's got. In any case, when he did have the chance to change and improve things he didn't do a particularly good job.

I don't think anyone has actually suggested he should go already. People are expressing doubts, a lot of which are based on problems of his own making. 

Rowett has shown nothing in his past jobs to get blind faith from me. I place trust and faith based on what I see.  Jury's out for me.

3 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Whether or not he lives locally doesn't matter. He is paid to manage a football club, not be the nice young man who live round the corner.

He'll be judged on his ability to get performances and results out of this group of players. Sure, this is not his team of players and he'll want to change that, but at the moment he can't do anything about that so he has to work with what he's got. In any case, when he did have the chance to change and improve things he didn't do a particularly good job.

I don't think anyone has actually suggested he should go already. People are expressing doubts, a lot of which are based on problems of his own making. 

Rowett has shown nothing in his past jobs to get blind faith from me. I place trust and faith based on what I see.  Jury's out for me.

That ^. Bon mots, Sir! 

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

You don't really need to suggest that oh blindfaither...I've been supporting Derby County for 45 years and spent £660 of my hard cash on season tickets last March...if that dross is continually going to be served up I will happily stay away. I also don't buy into this idea that possession-based football is "so yesterday" and has been replaced by some kick n rush bilge...I pay money and expect a certain standard of football. Yet it just isn't happening and I don't really see it happening any time soon...LWLLD...there ain't many W's in that form pattern  and if the football was good but we're just "under-developed" but promising, I'd have patience...but it's bilge and just projects yet more bilge to come. FACT. 

If things continue as they are, I reckon early bird season ticket sales may give an indication to the board how the fans rate the entertainment on offer.

The empty seats around me might give a clue....

I'm happy to give him this season and see what happens (providing we're not floating around the relegation spots), but a couple of so so performances in our next few games followed by a defeat to forest, and his position will become untenable with a majority of fans. 

Things need to drastically improve and quite quickly too. 

2 hours ago, metalsheep02 said:

I am tempted to say that it also tends to happen when the manager is out of his depth (as well as when a club is in transition) but I will try and be a little more controlled.

As stated I can see why a degree of transition may be required but I don't see anything in the way of a vision from Rowett in terms of where the club is going and why. He has been here 6 months now and I can't identify a single aspect where we have moved forward as a team, as a club.

Lets be clear Rowett said at the start of the season we already had a playing staff capable of top six and two more additions and we would be top two. I haven't seen anything to suggest that he is capable of leading the team to anywhere near the top six so if he believes the players are capable of that - where does the fault lie? Was he wrong about the players or is he incapable of unlocking their capabilities.

Maybe he was right that the squad was good enough for top 6 at the beginning of the season. But we had Hughes, Ince, Bryson, Christie then. And we thought we'd got (kind of) 3 new signings in Forsyth, Martin and Thorne - all of whom have offered nothing so far. 

3 hours ago, rcarso1 said:

Funny that,I can remember certain fans saying the same things when a certain Brian Clough had only been in charge a few months.

Chris Hughton took 2/3 years to get Brighton sorted and got a lot of praise for a steady job done.Rowett'a been here 6 months and getting stick for not having moved out 15 players and brought in 15 replacements and .hell's teeth!!, we're not even in the top two yet!!?

Does anyone understand the concept of patience anymore?! I can remember Ferguson being slated at Man Utd as well-it doesn't happen overnight people ffs!!!

Chris Hughton took over at Brighton half way through the 2014-15 season with the club in 21st position and managed to keep the club in the Championship that season. The following season Brighton went on a club record 21 game unbeaten run at the start of the season and finished 3rd before being beaten in the play-offs. Obviously the following season gained promotion to the Premier League.

Hughton lost 8 players in the summer window due to players contracts expiring and replaced them with a similar number that contained a mixture of experience and youth, with a number coming from abroad. Hughton intergreted the new arrivals with some 'technically gifted' players that were 'comfortable with the ball' that were already at the club.  Therefore, within a few months of taking over and one transfer window, Hughton turned Brighton from relegation fodder to promotion contenders.  

Therefore, I'm not sure about this needing another 2 or 3 windows rubbish and that Rowett needs to completely overhaul the squad, why?

Let's all calm down, and see the facts, we have been sacking managers far to regular, that's why we are so up and down, Mel needs to stick with a manager and let him have time, sacking Clement when we were 5 points away from 1st position was a joke, and I belieave given another couple of transfer windows Mr Rowett, will get us to where we need to be, lets be honest with Mels reputation we will have trouble getting any decent manager to even consider coming to DCFC, within football we are not a great team to be a manager of , sometimes I worry that Mel thinks he could be the manager, he needs to keep away from the football side of the club, and give a manager time, because if not we will always be a up and down club, players also need to know where they stand, and changing managers all the time, does not help with this.

The fixture list is not looking kind for GR, with real difficult games against right up to mid to late November, and in this period we will see properly what this team is about. I really hope that it works out, as it is not unthinkable that by the 20th November we could have only picked up 7-10 points from those 8 games, which would put rowett under severe pressure from the fan base, many that are already feeling trepidatious about the situation we find ourselves in. However, if we manage to get 14-15+ points from those 8 games, the mood will change, even if the performances haven't picked up by then. The only way that GR will truly win over the fans is by winning games, its as simple as that. He will have to adapt his style to fit the players we currently have, even if it's not the way he specifically wants to play, because, ultimately,results are all that matter in football. There is literally no point in sacking him at this point in time as it will have very little benefits to us, however if we see no genuine improvement, questions will be asked as is the nature of football these days. As I've said before, no one knows whether rowett will be the correct fit for derby, but we have to allow him the time to correctly make a judgement on him. He will need at least another 2 transfer windows to assemble the squad he wants, but we do still need improvement from the squad he's currently got, because it does have the potential to be doing a lot better than it currently is.8 games doesn't make a season, we could go on and win 7 out of our next 10, equally we could go on to lose 7 of our next 10, lets just hope its the former. support the team and the manager throughout and see where we are in the league at Christmas, because that is the first time anyone will know the general makeup of the league , and there could still be some surprises, a la Barnsley season before last. COYR

My concern is with the players linked.

Our number 1 midfield target was David Davies, he looked pretty average to me yesterday. We opted to sign a back up on Kieftenbeld who by all accounts is pretty average.

I was told yesterday we bid a deal worth 10 million for Che Adams which was turned down. No idea if that is remotely true but again he isn't one that excites me.

It looks like Rowett was desperate to sign a Bimingham City chum at any cost.

10 hours ago, metalsheep02 said:

He doesn't need to say anything about it at all.

Are you suggesting he said it but didn't really believe it? When it comes to pre-season next year perhaps you could come on here to translate what Rowett is actually meaning if he makes any mention of objectives for the season. Stupidly, unless I have good reason to think otherwise, I do try and take people at their word and trust what they are saying.

Lot of ground between 'squad capable of top six ' and 'you are all ***'  and I reckon it would be easy to find some sensible middle ground or even not mention top six / top 2 at all. To be honest I am beginning to get increasingly frustrated at the mismatch between what Rowett says and what he actually delivers.

Rowett inherited a squad that had been in and around the top six for most of the previous 3 seasons, despite his transfer dealings many of those players are still here with additional personnel presumably added as they align with Rowett's vision. If you want to suggest that Rowett is getting the absolute best he can from the players at his disposal then I disagree.

No hes not getting the absolute best..

.but there is still a mish mash of about 4 different managers  players at the club all who wanted different ways.

oh and they were all on pretty big contracts so now as weve seen rowett wasnt able to bring in all that he wanted as others had to take our expensive crap before he could do anything... shockingly there wasnt a queue for said crap.

we all know this

10 hours ago, Alpha said:

He was but I'm not sure what it's really based on.

Billy Davies?

Agree. We must give him time. It's just not good to watch right now. Which is obviously going to create a negative response to the current situation if not the long term 

Its not pretty but before he came he was widely regarded as a very good young manager.

to a man end of last season we knew how big a job that faced rowett in tbe summer, over bloated squad of players, aging players, big long contracts bla bla bla so why is everyone in such a state of shock that gary wasnt able to wave a magic wand and sort it out in one window.

10 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

Stability with the right man at the helm is what we lack, the question is, Is Rowett that man ?

I'm beginning to doubt it with every week that goes by myself, if I was a betting man I would put a tenner on a player power/player revolt thread appearing on here in the coming weeks, I just get the feeling players are tiring of his rhetoric.

Is there a right man for derby????

weve sacked a good proportion of the manager workforce out there lol

joking aside, why dont we just try sticking with a manager for more than five minutes then instead of collecting another 5-6 players of one managers players and moving on to the next.... adding to the bloating of our squad we just give him a few windows to fully get his players,  ideas and ethics instilled into the players 

8 hours ago, rcarso1 said:

As I've said before it's a work in progress.You don't " write a season off" but if you're realistic you appreciate that it takes time to create a winning team.The trouble nowadays is that so called supporters demand immediate results as if to say there aren't a lot of other clubs out there with similar expectations.We are where we are.We're an average Championship club.We've got a large fan base and great training facilities but so have other clubs.Reality check is required by quite a few people,we have no divine right to dominate this division due to several seasons of failure and mismanagement.It'd be great if some people actually supported the team instead of constantly carping on about the fact the team isn't meeting their expectations,as yet.

There seems to be a tacit implication that 'transition' means that things are going to have to get worse, I don't believe that is inevitable.

If it is a work in progress please identify the progress for me. I am constantly 'carping on' because I think Rowett has taken us backwards. I hope I am wrong, I hope he is the right man for the job but he has been here 6 months, were is the progress?

I'm give him the whole of a game before some fans start calling for him but to be fair he was the 1 who sold/loaned out our best players and any team that lose 4-1 and no changes to squad/formation is a joke, I'm not one to call for managers to be sacked but like rowett when he sold Hughes he is going to be a legend or he will fail and unfortunately it's not working! Why try all those formations in pre season to never change anything

8 hours ago, Bessie1 said:

Maybe he was right that the squad was good enough for top 6 at the beginning of the season. But we had Hughes, Ince, Bryson, Christie then. And we thought we'd got (kind of) 3 new signings in Forsyth, Martin and Thorne - all of whom have offered nothing so far. 

Rowett stated top 2 / top 6 in the week of the Sunderland game so Hughes and Ince were long gone and he would (should) have a fair understanding as to whether Martin, Fozzzy and Thorne were going to have an impact or not.

He stated 2 more signings would make us top 2 - presumably those were Lawrence and Kieftenbeld. i can't wait for January, only a Kieftenbeld away from top 2.

12 hours ago, Mistaram said:

Spot on I went to Bristol and I thought no way will he start with that team again We were lucky to only concede 4 we were that bad The players must think it doesn't matter how I play I will still start How Weiman gets a start is beyond me he's had two decent games since he's been here away to Hull and home to Preston this season The rest of the time he's been dreadful 

I went to bristol too, agree they totally and utterly destroyed us and should have had more.

like u i was surprised as anyone there were no changes to the side yesturday but after that surprise had sunk in i can understand the logic.

rowett would have made a much needed statement to the players by doing that.

if u have one bad game it doesnt mean your automatically bombed out of the squad, he'll have won a lot of respect within the dressing room with that and perhaps at a club where some people have suggested weve had a problem with player power might not be a terrible thing, it should also give players the confidence to go out and try and express themselves knowing if the they do c*** up their not straight out of the side again.

obviously im sure he would have been hoping and expecting a better level of performance against brum,  

i would have changed it like most who saw the city game but just saying i do kinda understand the thought process.

away at brentford will be interesting, at a place we tend to get bugger all from what does he do??

i fully expect winall and wisdom to start personally 

energy and power will be the order of the day 

Archived